UN WOMEN: PROGRAMME SPECIALIST
|Application Deadline :||27-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations (UN), works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinate UN system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women work in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECA) contributes to the implementation of four thematic areas of UN Women Global Strategic Plan:
- To increase women’s access to economic empowerment and opportunities;
- To prevent violence against women and girls and expands access to survivor services;
- To increase women leadership in peace and security and humanitarian response;
- To strengthen the responsiveness of plans and budgets to gender equality at all levels
The UN Women Sub-regional office (SRO) for EECA needs to recruit a Programme Specialist to support its work in the region. At the country level, where UN Women does not have a presence, the SRO provides integrated policy and technical support to United Nations Country Teams (UNCTs) so as to ensure a stronger, more coordinated response to advancing gender equality and women's empowerment at the national level. At the Regional level, within the UN's coordination mechanisms and regional interagency mechanisms, the SRO provides technical advice and leadership so as to ensure gender equality is mainstreamed throughout the UN System's response to Member State needs and priorities.
In addition, under the UN Women EECA Strategic Plan 2012-2013, the Programme Specialist manages UN Women's sub-regional portfolio for EECA. The Programme Specialist oversees the strategic development of the portfolio and oversight of programme implementation in the sub region, to ensure delivery of results as planned in UN Women's Strategic Plan, regional strategies and accountability framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Specialist will take the lead in managing the day-to-day implementation of UN Women's Sub-regional Portfolio, under the overall strategic guidance and direction of UN Women's EECA Regional Programme Director (RPD) and is responsible for providing specialized technical and strategic support to the Sub-regional portfolio in managing all aspects of program management and related activities in the office/region.
Summary of key functions:
- Advisory and technical support
- Programme development, management, monitoring and oversight
- Advocacy and support to UN coordination, joint programming and refor
- Knowledge management and capacity building – support to the region.
Description of Duties :
Advisory and technical support
- Advise, support, guide and provide input to assure quality control in the formulation of relevant, high quality, results-based and rights-based country programs and projects;
- Provide strategic and specialized technical advice to the RPD on the development of systems, processes and mechanisms to support effective program planning, implementation, monitoring and timely progress reporting;
- Review and evaluate proposals submitted to the SRO and oversee the preparation of donor proposals and reports to ensure quality, compliance with requirements as per established rules, regulations, including the commitments under relevant UNDAFs and the UN Women global Strategic Plans. Take timely action to take any corrective action to meet standards for submissions;
- Prepare policy document, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for the RPD for use in the development and presentation of a coherent regional perspective to help define regional strategic and plans of action for implementation;
- Assess the country level and sub-regional level annual work plans and present RPD with recommendations and conclusions to assist in development planning.
- Provide guidance and support to UN Women national partners on governance and gender issues in general and by strategically linking to the work being done on CEDAW, MDGs, national development strategies, BPFA, Paris Declaration and subsequent regional and global reviews
- Facilitate and undertake a thorough analysis of regional situation pertaining to the status of gender equality, identifying gaps, major social and institutional barriers to women's active participation in the political and economic development, mobilizing partners and resources around priority issues, establishing criteria for prioritization and targeting UN Women programming interventions, and providing rationale for UN Women regional short-term and long-term strategy
- Provide support to UN Women Gender Advisors to conceptualize, develop and implement overall country strategies, specifically in the areas of governance, economic security underpinning support to national development priorities, the UNDAF/CCA or any other framework for UNCT priorities, the country's gender equality priorities, ensuring holistic programming approach and coherence between UN Women programmes, projects, activities and partnerships, and identifying existing and missing capacities, resources and partnerships necessary to implement the country strategies
- Conceptualize and provide substantive inputs for new programmes and project proposals within UN Women strategic directions of work;
- Review and provide feedback to ongoing projects on project-related strategies and documents, work-plans, case studies and related knowledge products and publications as requested and needed
- Assist the RPD and HQ with resource mobilization efforts, including follow-up with donor agencies. Broker support from governments, UN agencies and other bilateral and multilateral aid organizations, and establish linkages with their work
Programme development, management, monitoring and oversight
- Plan, implement and/or supervise the support provided to the sub-regional portfolio, including country offices and sub-regional programmes, to ensure timely and appropriate services are provided as required. Identify areas of competencies and/or weakness to ensure focused and targeted services are provided;
- Recommend and/or set monitoring standards, criteria and other indicators for measuring and assessing progress/results;
- Monitor the progress on, mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators and timely take action/decision and/or provide timely support;
- Lead the annual process of gathering information and prepare reports for HQ on progress of program implementation, assessing results and identifying areas for RPD action and/or decision to ensure achievement of results as planned and in accordance with UNW goals and objectives and accountability framework;
- Identify areas that may require improvement and capture best practices/lessons learned, using corporate monitoring tools;
- Manage the timely allocation of funds to sub-regions and countries. Monitor and ensure the appropriate utilization of resources approved and allocated to regional programs and projects that are managed by the SRO;
- Substantive and good quality proposals following the established rules, and regulations, and adhering to the Strategic Plan and Annual Work plans;
- Sustainable and solid relations developed with counterparts, resulting in the enhanced reputation and credibility of UN Women;
- Under the oversight of the Regional Director, backstop the Operations Manager in preparing and providing guidance to the offices on the whole process of audit exercises, oversee the collection and verification of accurate and complete documentation for audit review, advice on the preparation of responses to audit and monitor the timely and full implementation of audit recommendations and required actions.
- Utilize effectively ongoing coordination mechanism to ensure coherence of the UN Women programmes with other processes in the country including national development policy-making, UN programming and coordination processes (UNDAF, UN Gender Theme Group, etc.), donors' council work, etc for a more holistic and coherent approach to programme implementation;
- Ensure high-quality, results-oriented reporting, for internal and external audiences (e.g. UN, donors), including providing guidance to ongoing programmes and projects in the submission of timely, quality reports and contributions, where necessary. Develop, manage and oversee programme budgets, as needed, in consultation with UN Women SRO and HQ, and in close collaboration with administrative and financial staff
- Ensure effective information flow, communication and coordination within the countries between UN Women programmes, projects and activities
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of the programme implementation in accordance with the UN Women Documenting Guide
Advocacy and support to UN coordination, joint programming and reform
- Support the Regional Programme Director and country level representatives in establishing and maintaining effective consultations with governments, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on program development and implementation, resource mobilization and sustained partnerships;
- Upon the request of the Regional Programme Director, represent UN Women in UNCTs as appropriate/delegated to consult, collaborate and/or interact on common issues and activities and participate in the CCA/UNDAF process to ensure the active participation of UN Women in these processes to advance gender equity and women's human rights On behalf of the sub-regional portfolio and in partnership with country-level UN Women Representatives, actively seek out participation of UN Women in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective network and to keep abreast of ongoing debate and thinking on aids development, facilitate joint programming and promote UN Women competencies and interests to advance gender and women's human rights.
Knowledge management and capacity building – support to the region
- Ensure regular assessments of the regional and sub-regional strategic and implementation plans. Identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to guide program improvements and future strategic development plan;
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women's empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Design and implement capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in Results Based Management, Results based budgeting and systematic quality assurance;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of global and regional program knowledge networks and practices, and development of knowledge products.
Impact of Results
- The effective support provided to the Regional Programme Director in the management of programs and operations in the office directly impact on the quality of UN Women program development, implementation and results that in turn directly impact on the credibility and image of UN Women as an effective partner for regional and country organizations and as a competent knowledge based organization on gender equity and women's human rights issues.
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of United Nations and UN Women, acts without consideration of personal gain, resists undue political pressure in decision-making, does not abuse power or authority, stands by decisions that are in the organization’s interest, and takes action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior;
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements, demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments and achieving results, is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with challenges, and remains calm in stressful situations;
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds, treats all people with dignity and respect, treats men and women equally, shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses, and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Developing, Coaching and Mentoring:
- Be in charge of self-development and initiative-taking
Working in Teams:
- Act as a team player and facilitate team work
Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication in the team, and communicate effectively
Conflict Management, Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements:
- Ability to managing conflict
Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning :
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making :
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to problem-solve and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment
- Builds strong client relationships, focuses on impact and results for the client
- Ability to work under pressure and with multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams and possess excellent inter-personal skills, and ability to monitor progress against milestones and deadlines
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results
- Ability to develop and communicate advocacy strategies
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development or a related field.
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience with management and supervisory experience for programming geared to support women's empowerment and rights, with particular experience in complex and multi-component programmes;
- Experience with Results Based Management principles and approaches will be an asset;
- Experience from EECA will be an asset.
- Written and oral proficiency in English and Russian is required.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.