SENIOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
|Application Deadline :||25-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Security Advisor, the Senior Telecommunications Associate ensures optimal radio network operations, through the implementation of standard operating procedures and the provision of guidelines and training to local Radio Operators in the region of assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures the provision of reliable telecommunication support (VHF&HF) to relevant UN staff and to agencies radio rooms both in the capital and provinces, this entails the following:
- Establish and maintain radio communication (VHF) between key security management officers and Zone wardens;
- Establish and maintain radio communication between DSS Radio room and other Agency radio rooms throughout the country;
- Conduct periodic radio communication training to the relevant staff;
- Install and maintain all necessary radio communication equipment in UN Field vehicles;
- Install and maintain VHF radio repeaters both in the capital and the provinces.
2. Responsible for daily supervision of the DSS radio room and radio operator(s) on duty including the following:
- Provide specific radio communication training for the DSS radio operators;
- Compile SOPs for necessary radio comms procedures;
- Compile and maintain the duty roster for DSS RR in Harare.
3. Provides assistance to UNDSS in the compilation and management of the cost shared interagency budget assigned to DSS radio room which includes the following:
- Include the current needs for radio equipment into the next year budget Provide technical evaluation of the equipment needed for DSS radio room.
4. Inspect the proper use of all telecommunication equipment by staff. Ensures its timely maintenance and repair which involves the following:
- Conduct periodic inspections in DSS and agencies verifying whether the radio equipment is used properly;
- Organize periodical training and awareness among UN staff on proper use of the equipment.
5. Responsible for the inventory of all radio communication equipment in use and currently purchased and this involves the following activities:
- Keep up-to-date inventory of all radio comms items;
- Inspect life expectancy of the equipment and prepare write-off documents for timely disposal and purchase of the new items to substitute.
6. Any other task related to the radio communication support received from DSS Security Adviser or his Deputy.
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Satisfactory completion of Secondary Education with relevant certifications in RT& IT hardware and software management is a requirement. University Degree in Computer Science will be an asset.
N.B. UNDP Zimbabwe reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Zimbabwe at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements.
- Must have at least 6 years of progressively responsible experience and knowledge of telecommunications installations and equipment;
- Must have demonstrated hands-on expertise with HF/VHF radios, PABX, VSAT, wireless, satellite, WAN and LAN technologies in a globally distributed telecommunications operation. Must possess own vehicle;
- Ability to use software packages (MS Office, Windows XP, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes etc) and knowledge of commonly used office equipment.
?QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.