PROJECT OFFICER CAPACITY STRENGTHENING INITIATIVE (OPEN FOR LIBYAN NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||21-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-5|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
With the event of the 17 February Revolution, the Libyan people have undertaken upon themselves the responsibility to achieve a long desired democracy after having lived under autocratic regime for 42 years.
The transition toward democratic governance entails tremendous challenges at all levels, in particular, political, economic, cultural and institutional. These challenges are even more significant when citizens’ expectations for quick delivery of democracy, reform and economic growth are high both at the central and local levels.
UNDP Libya has been working with the Libyan government in accordance with the Standard Basic Agreement signed in 1974. The office has accumulated a long history of experience in several areas pertaining to development, governance and public administration reform, and achieved high credibility during the past years. With the current political transformation in Libya there is a need for overall capacity building and strengthening.
In this regard, the UNDP Capacity Strengthening Initiative (CSI) in Libya aims to support the Libyan Government institutions in general and the Ministry of Planning in particular.This will be through the provision of technical advice, sharing best international practices, facilitating the transfer of knowledge, and enhancing institutional capacity of key ministries in areas of policy formulation, strategic planning, inter-ministerial coordination and management of work processes.
UNDP will be working closely with the Ministry of Planning and selected line ministries and will focus on urgent needs for capacity strengthening with a perspective to ensure that an immediate, medium and long-term impact on the overall national capacity is achieved.
The expected outcome for the CSI will be the strengthening of government capacity, the development of a national/international Experts roster and conducting pilot needs assessment and developing response strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Project planning and direction:
- Produce the project initiation document;
- Produce the project activities, financial and procurement plans;
- Develop quarterly and annual reports;
- Liaise with the counterparts on the main priorities of the project action plans;
- Review and update work plans on a quarterly and annual basis in accordance with the decisions of the Project executive board.
2. Project implementation:
- Ensure the implementation of the project activities including plans, reports, preparation of terms of reference and contracts, etc.
- Mobilize goods and services to initiate activities, terms of reference and work specifications;
- Manage requests for the provision of financial resources by UNDP;
- Support national counterparts to develop policy, strategy and planning within the framework of the Capacity Strengthening Initiative (CSI);
- Support the Ministry of Planning and the line ministries in the design and implementation of capacity assessment and capacity development plans;
- Develop technical advice related to the CSI and the ministry of planning;
- Participate in meetings, seminars and workshops with local counterparts;
- Manage the design, implementation and reporting on activities related to the project including seminars and workshops;
- Ensure coordination within the project executive board, and between the governance programme manager and the Ministry of Planning;
- Ensure liaison and coordination between the Ministry of Planning and the line ministries for the purpose of coordinating project activities and implementing action plans and ensuring the delivery of project outputs.
3. Project Reporting:
- Prepare and report to the Project Executive Board on a quarterly and annual basis (progress against planned activities, update risks and issues, expenditure, etc.);
- Prepare annual review reports and update and prepare annual work plans accordingly;
- Ensure the development of recommendations for the Project Executive Board.
4. Project Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Monitor the implementation of the projects outputs including activities;
- Produce all necessary quarterly and annual reports on the implementation of the project outputs;
- Manage and monitor the project’s risks and produce annual project reviews;
- Take responsibility for the overall progress and use of resources and ensure corrective actions where necessary;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting of the project implementation to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the project’s financial reports.
5. Overall administration and Management of the Project Staff:
- Prepare terms of reference for project staff as stated in the project annual work plan;
- Ensure the day to day management of the project staff;
- Prepare performance evaluation reports for the staff and liaise with the governance programme manager on the final evaluation;
- Ensure the preparation and monitoring of administrative and financial requests and reports with the UNDP staff on all issues pertaining to recruitment, procurement, etc.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Demonstrates a good understanding of UNDP democratic governance overall approach and specifically in its thematic area of capacity development;
- Demonstrates openness and ability to understand public administration issues and institutional challenges in Libya;
- Displays a good understanding of change management challenges and the Libyan overall cultural and administrative context;
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of institutional and political development.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management and sharing and learning culture in the Libyan ministries;
- Actively works towards institutionalizing knowledge and expertise with the local counterparts.
Advisory and Communication Skills
- Ability to communicate creative ideas to multi-constituencies with different backgrounds in areas of UNDP’s substantive support in institutional, organizational and individual capacity strengthening.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead policy advise, strategic planning and results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of projects;
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement;
- Ability to formulate, analyze and manage training programmes;
- Ability to facilitate training programmes for a varied constituency;
- Ability to use communication technology, and general administration.
Leadership and Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- An advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in political and social sciences, public administration, project management or any other related filed.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in project management including managing staff and budgets;
- Strong experience in the design and development of capacity development programmes for government;
- Strong experience in a diverse range of UNDP support functions, including programme development, resource project reporting, Monitoring & Evaluation, etc.
- Experience with multilateral agencies and bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset;
- Strong background experience including familiarity with UNDP systems, requirements, procedures, and rules & regulations.
- Technical Skills:
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, excel, power point presentations, etc.,) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Project delivery planning, design, management & support;
- Strong writing skills including technical reports, general reports, proposals and preparation of budgets;
- Extensive background experience working in and knowledge of at least one or two democratic governance areas.
- Excellent written and communication skills in both English and Arabic.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.