INDEPENDENT CIVIL ENGINEER
||BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
|Application Deadline :||25-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
Establishment of a roster of independent international civil engineers for the Country Office (CO) Programme and Project needs whereby retainer contracts with selected candidates will further facilitate engagement of engineers on ad-hoc basis. The engineers’ roster will enable swift and timely delivery of services essential for the successful functioning of the UNDP CO related activities.
Ensure transparency and market competitiveness of bidding processes for construction works in accordance with the UNDP procurement procedures and requirements.
United Nations Development Programme in BiH, with the support of UNDP's global framework since 1996, has helped the country to attract and use international assistance more effectively. Our leading goals have been: supporting national capacity, implementing a variety of activities in key sectors, and helping to transfer the focus of development planning from post-war recovery to long-term development.
Reconstruction works are often part of the Programme/Projects’ activities therefore a roster of engineers is prerequisite for the swift response to the identified need.
The Independent International Engineer will be responsible to provide technical assistance and advisory support services related to the area of expertise focused on review of bidding processes. In addition to hands on professional experience in this field, the expert should be able to certify the outcome of the procurement process and thus should be fully aware of the UNDP procurement rules in order to review the evaluation of the bidding process and the Bidding Evaluation Report. In addition, when required, the Expert should be capable of reviewing and/or preparing specifications for certain construction works.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To analyze whether tender is designed according to UNDPs procurement procedures;
- To verify whether the bidding procedure is consistent and in line with UNDP requirements on procurement;
- To analyze and verify results of technical evaluation of bids as well as to verify technical compliance of proposed bid with tender requirements;
- To analyze and review selected offer (lowest financial offer among technically qualified ones) – whether offered technical specifications are in accordance with the advertised ones;
- To check and verify tenders;
- To analyze and review the offered unit rates against cost estimates in correlation with tender, provided by a design company or projects’ engineers and to assess whether they are realistic. Provide verification on compliance of total offered price with ToR requirements;
- To analyze and verify value for money comparing the works that are subject to tender with works of similar complexity in the region as well as with market prices;
- To provide a written report / independent evaluation report on the ITB as a quality assurance mechanism to the process of bid evaluation carried out at the CO level.
Deliverables will be set for each particular engagement.
- International Experience in working in complex environment and large infrastructure and/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction, technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision;
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the BiH Entities’ Physical Planning and Construction Acts , by-laws regulating the construction of similar public facilities, technical regulations, general and special technical conditions and professional codes;
- Knowledge of the UNDP, EC and BiH regulations and requirements on procurement, tendering and contracting;
- Ability to plan and produce quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders;
- Ability to identify beneficiaries’ needs, and to match them with appropriate solutions;
- Timeliness and quality of work at all times;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications;
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN values and ethical and professional standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture;
- BS in Civil, Structural, Environmental Engineering or BA in Architecture with specialization in the highlighted areas as indicated under the competencies section;
- Higher degree or professional certification in specialized area is an asset.
- Senior professional level with a minimum of ten years practical experience in the specified field. International experience is an advantage;
- Demonstrated knowledge of UNDP procurement and Project Management policies and procedures would be an asset;
- Experience in supervising medium to large-scale construction works in the public sector.
- English fluency. Knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian or language of the region is an additional asset;
- Valid driving license.
Application and Required Documentation:
- Cover letter with a brief presentation of your consultancy explaining why you are the most suitable for the work;
- Financial proposal - indicating a daily consultancy fee (per diem & travel cost for UNDP field mission will be borne by UNDP, if any);
- UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.undp.ba/index.aspx?PID=16).
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- The candidate has to be an independent consultant.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.