PROJECT OFFICER JUSTICE, RULE OF LAW & HUMAN RIGHTS
|Application Deadline :||28-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-5|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
Between February and October 2011, Libya was embroiled in a bloody and protracted liberation struggle between the autocratic regime, and revolutionary forces determined to put an end to the dictator’s 42 year rule. The conflict had a weakening effect on the rule of law architecture and institutions, especially with regard to the provision of justice and security.
Following the end of the conflict, the Security Council mandated a political mission to support Libya in the transition period (UNSMIL). UNDP has been closely collaborating with UNSMIL Human rights/transitional justice/rule of law and police components in order to develop a strong partnership in support of capacity building for strengthened rule of law in Libya.
The overall objective of the present project is to assist the restoration of justice and security in Libya in support of the country’s transition to democracy. The project seeks to develop the capacities of key institutions to deliver equitable and efficient services to the Libyan people, facilitate recovery and promote development. Simultaneously, it aims to empower civil society and the Libyan people to access justice, resolve disputes and build peace. Accordingly, the project is designed to contribute to three important outcomes for the country.
- Strengthened capacity of Libyan rule of law institutions to provide services in a way which supports the transition to democracy.
- Improved access to justice for conflict affected populations especially survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV), women and the displaced.
- Progress achieved in implementation of Transitional Justice process including contributing to national consensus on Transitional Justice.
In striving for these outcomes, UNDP will work over the next 2 years in close collaboration with the relevant Libyan authorities, and within the context of broader international support to strengthening the rule of law in Libya. In this regard, this project document represents the basis for UNDP’s cooperation with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) in these areas, and with the broader UN Country Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the project manager in preparing Annual Work Plans and Budgets on the basis of project document.
- Identify potential project partners and beneficiaries (in particular among CSOs) when not yet identified in project document.
- Assist in negotiating and formalizing partnership agreements for implementing project activities
- Assess capacities and needs (technical, operational) of partners and beneficiaries to achieve planned activities
- Prepare concept notes, training materials, requisition for services and terms of reference needed for the timely execution of project activities.
- Provide technical & training support in project management to project partners, beneficiaries and other project staff.
- Provide operational advice to project partners for implementing activities
- Ensure timely and sufficient information-sharing on project implementation with project partners and field project staff and maintain close communications with them
- Mobilize UNDP operations department as required for timely implementation of project activities
- Occasional written translation or interpretation to assist project staff and consultants
- Carry out any additional tasks which may be requested by the project manager
Monitoring & Reporting
- Keep track of all project progress against indicators defined in the results framework
- Keep developing project indicators and methods of collection
- Ensure timely submission of reports on field activities by project field staff and beneficiaries / contractors
- Maintain the project in ATLAS
- Compile data needed for regular project reports by project manager and contribute to drafting regular progress reports for donors.
Project Development and Partnership Building
- Keep abreast of important developments in the Libyan Rule of Law sector through contacts, media, reports & academic research.
- Network with CSOs, judiciary & government departments as well as with international / national sponsors of civil society in order to raise profile of UNDP assistance to civic engagement in RoL of law, Human Rights & transitional justice in Libya, and to uncover individual and civil society champions eligible for UNDP assistance.
- Participate in the continuous refinement of UNDP RoL/TJ/Human Rights strategy and in the development of new projects in the same area.
Public relations and outreach
- Work with UNDP communications associate to ensure strong visibility of UNDP RoL/TJ/Human Rights activities and achievements
- Present the RoL/TJ/Human Rights project and its achievements in conferences, seminars and to the media when necessary
- Maintain media monitoring on all RoL/TJ/Human Rights -sponsored activities
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the project.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly and without favoritism.
- Knowledge and expertise in project management, additional knowledge and/or experience in democratic governance, Justice & RoL, Human Rights & transitional justice will be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and expertise in capacity development of RoL sector.
- The candidate should have significant experience in providing practical advice to policy makers; be able to work well with senior counterparts in government, civil society and the donor community; and know how to contribute to building national capacity for development.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to foster networks and partnerships, and good working knowledge of information and computer technology. While representing UNDP views, the candidate should also be able to provide coordination among the UN family of agencies.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge of UN rules, regulations, policies, procedures and best practices in the electoral assistance field.
- Excellent negotiation and representational skills, at senior level (with international organizations and/or diplomatic missions).
- Displays analytical judgment and demonstrated ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner.
- Demonstrates strong intellectual and operational capacity in providing and coordinating advisory services to stakeholders in electoral processes, specifically to EMBs and civil society organizations.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities. Demonstrated ability to multitask under pressure and to meet strict deadlines often under hardship conditions.
Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others.
Self-management, including conflict management/negotiating skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree or equivalent in political sciences, law, development studies, or a related field.
Experience: Language Requirements:
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of experience in a field related to RoL and well experienced in project implementation;
- If possible, experience in the promotion of gender equality is highly desirable;
- Excellent understanding of the current situation of Justice/RoL in Libya and the various aspects of the transition to democracy. Experience in other Arab region countries is an asset
- Fluency in English & Arabic required.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.