The Economic Development Finance Initiative of Tanzania (LFI-T) is an innovative programme of the Tanzania government that strives to make an impact by ensuring that the Tanzania domestic financial sector is unblocked to enable and promote inclusive local economic development (LED). The programme intends to achieve this goal through implementation of a Tanzania national development program to ensure long-term sustainability coupled with the development and finance of demonstration small and medium-sized LED infrastructure projects during a period of four years. The Tanzania LFI-T Programme will be implemented with the support of the UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) as part of the Global LFI Programme. UNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to development finance and investment capital.
The Tanzania LFI-T Programme will be implemented by the Government of Tanzania, through the Prime Minister’s Office for Regional and Local Administrations (PMO-RALG), in concert with the UNCDF Global LFI Programme, using the UNCDF International Technical Service Provider (TSP) that is selected to provide the overall technical support required for ensuring programme results.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor and in close collaboration with the Government Programme Coordinator, the LFI Assistant provides support to programme operations performing a variety of research, administrative and financial processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The LFI Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach and quality results consistent with UNCDF Rules and Regulations, and ensures cross-unit collaboration.
The LFI Assistant works in close collaboration with the UNDP Country Office Finance Officer, the relevant financial staff at the Prime Minister’s Office, Regional Administration and Local Government as well as with other UN Agencies. The LFI Assistant will also interact with the diverse range of LFI-T stakeholders in the public and private sectors in helping to obtain information and facilitate LFI-T activities such as training workshops, outreach, and LFI-T stakeholder meetings.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of efficient financial support
- Provision of efficient administrative and logistical support
- Provision of support to office and assets management
- Support to programme management
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides financial support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepares vouchers in ATLAS for disbursements, receipts and other activities related to the programme in line with the standard Guidelines for the implementation of NIM modality. Maintains records of payments and obligations to ensure accuracy of availability of funds.
- Maintains accurate recordings of extra-budgetary sources, income and disbursements.
· Monitors all bank account statements on the LFI-T Fund, maintaining a log of all operational rules, disbursement requirements, records and purposes of all disbursements, terms of disbursements (grant or to be repaid at closing and associated terms), requests for access, and tracking of all uses of funds.
· Prepares statements of expenditure and timely submits forms for advance and direct payments.
- Prepares Travel Authorizations and arranges accommodations and DSA payments and processes F10 claims.
- Develops standard bidding documents and forms to facilitate the finance of goods and services.
· Performs all procurement and hiring processes for local Technical Services Providers and maintains database of possible LTSPs with details on prior experience and skills.
Provides administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Prepares all necessary documentation (forms, letters, etc.) and follows-up on various arrangements co-shared with UN and National Government, in accordance with the requirements of the UN/UNCDF and National Government, for the following: (a) customs clearance of incoming and outgoing shipments (b) requests for accreditation with Government (c) visa requests (d) driving licenses (e) vehicle registration (f) issue/renewal of UN identifications (g) renewals of Laissez Passers, (h) maintains listing of these requests.
- Provides administrative support to the organization of technical missions, field visits, study tours, meetings, conferences, workshops and other related activities.
- Procurement and distribution of office supplies and materials.
- Prepares/drafts routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports.
- Performs other tasks requested by the supervisors.
Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Co-ordinates arrangements for office maintenance and repairs of office furniture and equipment.
- Ensures computerized equipment and office space is ready on arrival of consultants/visitors to the LFI-T.
- Collection of information on assets management.
- Maintenance the inventory of the LFI-T non-expendable equipment.
- Maintenance of files and records.
Provides support to programme management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Preparation of and support to regular Project Board and Steering Committee meetings.
· Support to project budget management, including preparing budget revisions, budget rephasals, financial reporting, certification of expenditure reporting with the Implementing Partner, and project closure
Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Helps in the research and posting of information to LFI information and coordination tools
- Participation in the training for the LFI-T operations/project staff on administration and financial aspects of programme implementation.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Shares knowledge on administrative policies and procedures with the programme staff.
- Acquires knowledge on programme operations through personal learning and development and/or by attending local seminars/courses on the subject.
Impact of results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of LFI-T. High-quality and proactive administrative and accurate financial recording and presentation of information strengthen the capacity of the programme and its effectiveness, and promote the good image of LFI-T and UNCDF in general.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Meets deadlines and reports all issues immediately to senior management
- Gathers and disseminates information in timely manner
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to manage complex processes and detailed tasks with accuracy in a timely manner
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member