|Application Deadline :||24-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year with possibility of Extension|
The programmatic coverage and delivery of UNDP Sudan is significant with delivery reaching US$ 140 million in 2012. The demand for UNDP services and the outreach for UNDP in Sudan are expanding even as the country faces tremendous structural challenges. To meet programme priorities through smooth implementation of the projects, considerable efforts are needed to strengthen UNDP operational support through professional national and international staff, strengthening of business processes, increased in-house training, and consolidation of field presence.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Country Director (Operations), the Operations Manager supports the Senior Management in all aspects of CO management and operations in Sudan. The Operations Manager is responsible for general administrative support; strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, safety and security and, ICT and for ensuring consistency with UNDP rules and regulations. The Operations Manager ensures consistent services delivery to CO, UNDP programmes and projects and UN common services. The incumbent sets policies and methods to maximize the CO performance in operations demonstrating capacity for innovation and creativity and providing advice to Senior Management on readjustment of the operations to take into account changes in the operating environment as and when needed.
The Operations Manager leads and guides the CO Operations Teams and fosters collaboration within the team and with other UN Agencies consistent with rules and a client-oriented approach. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme and project teams in the CO, operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
· Ensuring strategic direction of operations
· Financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team
· Human Resources Management and supervision of the HR team
· Efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team
· Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
· Common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies
As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
· Provision of advice on strategies, policies and plans affecting CO operations, delivery of practice advisory, knowledge and learning services.
· Establishment of collaborative arrangements with potential partners, a Client Relationship Management System for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements.
· CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services, Results Management.
· Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, quick readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
· Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
· Oversee operational support to field offices
· Provide advice and support to Juba Office operations
Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Proper planning, expenditures tracking and audit of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, OM performing the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for vouchers and replenishments approval, deals management and bank reconciliations. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers, EFT). Approval of bank reconciliations.
· Management of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects and other UN Agencies. Accurate planning, forecasting and reporting of extra-budgetary income.
· Organization and oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
· Member of the bank signatory panel.
· Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Ensures strategic human resources management and supervision of the HR team focusing on achievement of the following results:
· CO compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
· Human resources planning based on inputs from various organizational units
· Optimal staffing of the office and projects.
· Oversight of recruitment processes and performance management systems ensuring link of job design with recruitment, performance management, career development and counseling
· Oversight of knowledge building and management
· Succession planning in collaboration with client units
Ensures efficient procurement and logistical services management and supervision of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results:
· CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and management of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
· Management of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, OM acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals.
· Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services.
Oversees and manages the work of the UNDP Security Team and liaises closely with the UNDP security office, Bureau of Management in Headquarters as well as with UNDSS at the local level.
· Supervises security staff in the office including those contracted on permanent basis
· Provides weekly brief on the security and safety situation in the UNDP premises and projects
· Is a member of the Crisis Management Team
· Develops and updates relevant Business Continuity Plans (BCP) and ensures compliance with the security plan in Sudan
Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Maintains a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequately plans for disasters and recoveries
· Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
· Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
· Promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Ensures proper common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Elaboration of the strategic approach to implementation of common services in line with the UN reform, the latest developments in common services and the best practices.
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan (Prince 2, Procurement, HR, Accounting and Finance) and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
· Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
· Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
· Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
· Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
· Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics , or related field in operations and management.
Eight to ten years of relevant experience at the national and international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Arabic
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.