CIVIL ENGINEER, GAROWE (OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||20-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One year (Renewable)|
During the past two years, UNDP Somalia based in Nairobi has been working hard on the Change Management Business Processes, aiming at increasing its presence and operations in the field offices based in Somalia, which will allow the CO to be more efficient, flexible and responsive to the country/government priorities. In addition, the increased presence in the field offices will contribute to enhancing and building national staff capacities through delegation of authority.
Over the past years the overall numbers of civil works and rehabilitation assignments completed by UNDP Somalia has increased dramatically, not only in volume and scope, but also into more complex site areas in Somalia. On this background the UNDP-Somalia/PREP Programme is enhancing in-house capacity to tackle with the projected civil works in 2012. On this background UNDP/PREP is recruiting a National Civil Engineer, who will provide engineering support to the Chief Engineer and PREP team for ensuring the implementation of timely and high quality civil works and rehabilitation projects in all regions of Somalia.
The National Engineer will provide technical assistance and advisory support services, including the review of existing documentation related to civil works, evaluate associated risks, assess the compliancy with construction codes and local laws related to the civil works and construction, produce, revise technical drawings, prepare, revise Bill of Quantities (BoQ) and Cost estimates and other available documentation.
The National Engineer will be technically supervised in the field by the Chief Engineer and Programmatically by the PREP Area Manager in Puntland who maintains the overall responsibility of implementation of Civil Works project. Structurally, the National Engineer remains under the overall supervision of the Procurement Specialist, who maintains overall responsibility for the Procurement & Contracting Unit. The incumbent will be based in UNDP Garowe Sub Office but is expected to make frequent travels to other Office locations and to work proactively with other team members who consist of other regional engineers in Somalia and with other partner Agencies consistent with rules and a client-oriented approach. The National Engineer will work closely with the technical officers in charge, monitor and supervise the contract management processes in the Sub offices and advise management on best practices to take corrective measures when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of civil works activities
- Management of civil works procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategies
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides analytical inputs to implementation of civil works activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information for preparation of civil works activities for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation.
- Apply standard engineering practices and precedents in the construction, maintenance, repair and liquidation of structures and facilities;
- Apply commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the construction or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, field defenses, and other related structures and activities in the field;
- Assure the quality of civil works undertaken by partners and contractors through checking the contractors physical works, quality and quantity of works, based on drawings, specifications, notifying the contractor of any defects found and requesting additional testing as considered necessary;
- Conduct preliminary site-investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection;
- Assist in developing technical data regarding materials, size dimensions, quantities and costs to be incorporated into formal specifications;
- Estimate cost of repairs to damaged buildings, facilities and systems in order to determine whether repairs or replacement are feasible;
- Liaise with Chief Engineer and PREP Project and Counterparts responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems through exchange and comparison of data;
- Conduct investigations to develop improved construction techniques;
- Produce cost estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned field missions;
- Analyze project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources; Ensures continuous assurance of quality and quality control during the civil works construction process and independently verifies that all works are executed according to contract specifications and requirements.
Ensures efficient management and implementation of civil works procurement processes:
- Prepare and submit weekly reports containing brief description of actual versus planned progress; problems encountered and resolutions; and comments on the quality of work and Contractor performance. The reports shall include physical progress of initial rehabilitation and construction works and data regarding the current financial status of the contract including a comparison of the contract amount and the estimated total cost of completion based on an up-to-date appraisal of actual versus estimated quantities and unit prices as amended.
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control,
- Review the programme submitted by the Contractor for the execution of the Works to establish whether the methods, arrangements, order and timing of the activities are realistic and coherent in relation to the conditions pertaining on the Site.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assists in preparing bid documents and in managing the bid process for infrastructure projects and assessing quotations submitted by the contractors for carrying out variations; collect market rates regularly and prepare market rate analysis of all components of civil woks
- Development and management of the rosters of prequalified suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization of training for the operations/projects staff on civil works procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in civil works procurement.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Capacity building for Somali Ministry of Public Works Engineers when required.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency, and effectiveness of the project operations as it relates to the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
- Effective implementation of project activities under the Poverty Reduction and Environment Protection programme;
- Strong relationships with implementing partners and counterparts;
- Good communications and working relationships within PREP team and across regional offices
- Efficient and accurate financial reporting
- Accurate and timely monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling UN values and ethical standards.
- Promote the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Display cultural, gender, religious, racial, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treat all people fairly without favoritism.
- Organizational Awareness
- Working in Teams
- Communicating Information and Ideas
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
- Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements
- Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to conduct results-based management and reporting
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan and coordinate own work.
- Ability to draft clear and concise reports
- Good organizational skills and ability to work independently, multi-task and work and well under pressure.
- Able to work in a team
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results, responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Excellent partnership management skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Advance University Degree in Civil Engineering.
- A first level University degree in Civil Engineering with 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 2 year years relevant experience with advance university degree or 4 years of professional experience with a first level university degree in position
- 2 years Civil Engineering working experience including preparation of design, framing BoQ and site supervision.
- Knowledge and experience of project management
- In-depth knowledge of UNDP/UN policies and programmes in crisis and post-crisis situations, and/or experience in Somalia is highly desirable
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Excellent knowledge of AutoCAD and Chief Architect
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.