UN COORDINATION ANALYST - FOR MAURITIAN NATIONALS
||Port Louis, MAURITIUS
|Application Deadline :||31-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-9|
|Languages Required :||
English French |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator the UN Coordination Analyst strengthens capacity of the UN Country Team, analyzes political, social and economic trends of the country and prepares notes to UN agencies in order to facilitate their support to the country. The UN Coordination Analyst provides inputs to preparation of country programming products such as the Common Country Assessment (CCA) and United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAFs), supports the national strategies setting, provides assistance to development and implementation of the collaborative and joint programmes and monitors progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Global Conferences, provides support to agencies without field representation to access national systems and for national counterparts to access the expertise of agencies without field representation, prepares notes of UN agencies and reports in order to facilitate diffusion and utilization within country specific context.
The UN Coordination Analyst supervises and leads the UN Coordination Unit support staff, analyses trends and reports of UN system especially the ones of high relevance for country policy goals. The UN Coordination Analyst works in close collaboration with UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the Agencies, UNDGO staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective support to UNCT in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products, such as CCA and UNDAF and UN programmes coordination focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country.
- Participation in the work of the Thematic Group activities and preparation of inputs.
- Participation in the work of the Working Groups and preparation of inputs.
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses in UN Agencies programmes in the context of the country’s development priorities, UN System reform and MDGs. Preparation of high quality documents summarizing the developments in the UN agencies areas of cooperation. Provision of advice on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities.
Ensures preparation and implementation of the RC Work Plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of proposals for funding and drafting of the RC Work Plan and reports.
- Technical support for UNCT Retreats to review the annual work plan and other UNCT meetings.
- Monitoring of the Support to the Resident Coordinator (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities.
- Report on the use of the funds to the UN RC and UNCT, proposal of budget revisions, approval of expenditures reports.
Ensures effective advocacy of UN activities in close consultation with UNIC and the information/ communication focal points of the UN system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the systematic information on RC system activities.
- Arrangement of regular forums and events on issues related to UN activities with media, NGOs, communities, etc.
- Support for implementation of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with UNIC.
- Collecting inputs for speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the RC system in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
- Monitoring of the UN website maintenance.
- Preparation of notes for UN agencies and reports in order to facilitate diffusion and utilization within country specific context.
- Preparation of media advisory notes and press releases.
Ensures implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for UN agencies support to country development priorities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of reports on donors strategies.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals. Identification of sources of information related to coordination.
- Provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of the UN Country Team activities. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design and implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for UNCT Programming including UNDAF implementation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge and Learning Management
- Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside the UN Country Team.
- Encourages UN staff to share knowledge
- Develops deep understanding UN System reform MDGs and UNDAF
- Ability to lead the implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships.
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Establishes priorities for self and other members of the RC office; schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course
- In providing advice to the RC, has the capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations; evaluates information accurately and identifies key issues required to resolve problems
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of post Master’s relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Previous experience in communication is desirable.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Mode of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should apply on-line through UNDP jobs website: http://jobs.undp.org.
- Please ensure that you upload your UNDP Personal History Form – P11 (available at http://un.intnet.mu) and CV as one attachment in the relevant field of the on-line application.
- You are required to provide the exact titles of your degrees/qualifications (as per certificates) in the Personal History Form and CV.
- Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
UNDP reserves the right not to make any appointment following this advertisement.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.