PROGRAMME FINANCE ASSOCIATE
||Panama City, PANAMA
|Application Deadline :||31-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
English Spanish |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year|
Under the guidance and supervision of the UNDG LAC Regional Coordination Specialist, the Policy Advisor on Poverty Reduction and the MDG´s, and Regional Communications Advisor of the Regional Centre (RSC), the Programme Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in the UNDG LAC and the RSC and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Programme Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Finance Associate can supervise clerical and support staff. The Programme Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme, Management Support and Business Development staff in the CO and UNDP HQ and the projects’ staff for resolving finance-related issues and exchange of information. Furthermore the Programme Finance Associate work in close collaboration with the UN Agencies operational staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery to other Agency members of the UNDG LAC.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Administration and implementation of programme/operations and financial management strategies
- Support to management of the CO programme, administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system.
- Accounting, finance and administrative support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures administration and implementation of programme/operations and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
- Preparation of cost sharing, and trust fund agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
2. Provides effective support to management of the CO programme, administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of information for formulation of country programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities. Entry of data of new grants into Atlas in the form of Annual Work Plans (AWPs), monitoring of their status.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Accuracy verification of Combined Delivery Reports.
- Provision of information for the audit of NEX/DEX projects, implementation of audit recommendations.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring of budgets preparation and modifications
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
- Preparation of reports.
- Assists in the preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by, elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Programme Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX/DEX projects; preparation of PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Approval of vendors in Atlas (if a senior member of the Finance team).
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Tracking and reporting of mobilized resources by performing the following tasks if assigned to the S/M.
- Review signed cost-sharing contribution agreements and trust fund agreements.
- Enter Agreement information into Contracts Module.
- Attach copy of the signed agreement in Atlas
- Create Billing Plan in Contracts Module.
- Create Revenue Plan and establish Milestones in Contracts Module.
- Bill a donor through Contracts Module.
- Maintain contributions/receivables documentation
- Apply cash receipt to the proper revenue source / fund or project
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Systematic gaining and sharing of knowledge and experience related to programme management.
- Organization of training for the office staff on programme/operations related issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme financial resources management and success in implementation of programme/operations strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
Building Partnerships: Maintaining information and databases
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting)
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management: Gathering and disseminating information
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- 6 years of progressively responsible financial management experience is required, with knowledge of programme or project finance desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish. Proficiency in English to be tested trough TOEFL (500 point).
- UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test required
- Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- The electronic version of a UN Personal History Form (P.11) can be downloaded from the UNDP RSC website http://www.regionalcentrelac-undp.org/es/p11
- Applications without the completed P.11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- Only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgement.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.