||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||31-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||3 months|
|The Office of Finance and Administration (OFA), Bureau of Management, is a dynamic and results driven office of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). OFA contributes to the global development agenda of UNDP by being a strong partner with other parts of UNDP, promoting clear and strong financial reporting and analysis to ensure accountability and compliance with UNDP's financial and administrative regulatory framework.
OFA is responsible for the global financial operations of UNDP. The organization receives income, from variety of sources of funds, in excess of US$ 5 billion per annum. OFA's activities involve financial management and funding operations of office located in 166 countries which include financial analysis, reporting, and financial risk management.
The Finance Intern shall report to the Advisor, Financial Analysis within the Directorate of OFA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Advisor, Financial Analysis, the intern shall perform the following duties:
- Assist the Advisor in providing in-depth analysis of UNDP’s resources including Trust Funds and Cost-Sharing;
- Assist in developing models to enhance better financial monitoring, internal control and risk mitigation measures from a management accounting perspective;
- Assist in developing models to ensure data integrity and completeness from a management accounting perspective;
- Assist in tracking internal audit recommendations;
- Assist in tracking the implementation of HACT (Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer);
- Other duties as requested by the Advisor.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills;
- Excellent Microsoft Excel knowledge;
- Excellent critical reasoning and problem solving skills.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. The following qualifications are required:
- Candidacy for an advanced degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or any other related discipline. The intern must be currently enrolled in an advanced university degree (Master’s degree).
- Entry level knowledge in financial data extraction and analysis;
- Excellent writing skills in English;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong MS Office package skills.
- Fluency in English. Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Conditions of the Internship:
- Interns are considered gratis personnel. They are not staff members;
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP. The costs associated must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, visa, etc.
- Candidates who are shortlisted for an interview must submit prior to the interview, the following documents:
- Official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme;
- Copy of school transcript;
- Letter of endorsement from a faculty member who has worked with the student in the recent past and who is knowledgeable on the student’s performance;
- Complete and sign the UNDP Application Form for Internships (MS Word | PDF). www.undp.org/internships
- Copy of the proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out (i.e. New York, USA).
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.