INTERPRETER/TRANSLATOR/PROOFREADER (ENGLISH, RUSSIAN, UZBEK) - EXTENDED
|Application Deadline :||10-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-11|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months with possible extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 months with possible extension|
|The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Uzbekistan frequently needs the services of translators to translate texts from Russian and/or Uzbek into English and from English into Russian and/or Uzbek as well as provide simultaneous/consecutive translation during seminars, workshops, conferences and official visits. UNDP Uzbekistan aims to sign Service Contract with professional translator/interpreter who is able to provide top-quality simultaneous, consecutive interpretation and written translation in a variety of settings to the UNDP Country Office (CO) and Projects. The interpreter/translator is to be located in the UNDP CO, while the texts translation for projects will be carried out remotely and work will be submitted via email. For simultaneous/consecutive translation the assignment will be carried out at the site of the event.
Duties and Responsibilities
• A Russian/Uzbek-English, English-Russian/Uzbek translation of a variety of materials including formal letters, speeches, press releases, brochures, reports etc. produced by and for the use of UNDP CO and Projects. Areas frequently covered by such documents include Governance, Environment, Legal Issues, Poverty Reduction, Crisis prevention and Recovery, gender, HIV/AIDS, Capacity Development and Trade.
• Written translation of materials into English, Russian, Uzbek and vice versa, as required
• Simultaneous/consecutive interpretation during the seminars, workshops, conferences and official visits organized by UNDP CO and Projects (English, Russian, Uzbek and vice versa)
• Editing and proofreading text (ensuring appropriate style and terminology) of a variety of materials produced by and for the use of UNDP CO and Projects
• Translation of selected outgoing correspondence from English or Russian to Uzbek and vice versa for the use of UNDP CO and Projects
• Translation of UNDP Country Office website contents from English to both, Russian and Uzbek
• Helping UNDP Uzbekistan (CO and Projects) to standardize UNDP terminology in Uzbek language
• Perform other duties as may be required.
• Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Excellent English, Russian and Uzbek writing skills; excellent translation skills with capacity to detect and understand nuances in the original text; knowledge of agreed terms for international and Government organizations and development concepts; good grasp of the subject matter; ability to use all sources of reference; attention to detail and ability to maintain an adequate speed and volume of output.
• Planning and Organizing:
Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and monitor own work and to deliver work on time within agreed deadlines.
Good coordination with others to ensure consistency of terminology and style; and demonstrated ability to gain the support and cooperation of others in a team environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Technological Awareness:
Experience in using word processing and other computer applications.
Required Skills and Experience
The selected candidates will be professional interpreter/translator with demonstrated ability to provide top-quality simultaneous, consecutive interpretation and written translation in a variety of settings; will have the ability for oral interpretation and written translation of economic, financial, legal, technical, environmental, statistical and other material within tight production deadlines; knowledge of and proficiency in commonly used software applications (Word, Excel, Power Point); the ability to work under pressure, good interpersonal and communication skills. Specialization in any above indicated fields would be an asset.
An advanced university degree in interpretation and/or translation, linguistics. Degree in journalism, economics, finance, legal, environment -related field is an asset.
At least 7 years of experience in translation/interpretation, preferably with international organizations, is required. Editing and proofreading experience is an asset
Professional knowledge of English, Russian and Uzbek languages is required
Ability to speak clearly and maintain good posture
Ability to operate modern office equipment;
Accuracy and proof-reading skills;
IELTS or TOEFL certification is desired
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
All interested and qualified candidates are required to apply on-line through the UNDP website at http://www.undp.uz The UNDP will only accept applications submitted on-line via http://www.undp.uz
Please ensure that before making on-line application, you have completed the UNDP Personal History Form (P11). The electronic version of the P11 can be downloaded from http://www.undp.uz (Job Opportunities Section). The completed and signed P11 form further to be uploaded while applying on-line.
The deadline for submission of application is COB 10 August, 2012. Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date (10 August, 2012) will not be given consideration. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
For more detailed information about UNDP Uzbekistan please visit our website at http://www.undp.uz. UNDP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female candidates, people with disabilities, and minorities are highly encouraged to apply. UNDP Balance in Manage Policy promotes achievement of gender balance among its staff at all levels.
The position is open for Uzbekistan citizens only.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.