CONSULTANT - LEGAL TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER, ENGLISH-SOMALI / SOMALI-ENGLISH
|Application Deadline :||03-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 Months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||12 Months|
UNDP Somalia’s Programme is strongly focused on post conflict recovery and consolidation of peace. It is composed of two main Programme portfolios:
- Governance and Rule of Law
- Poverty Reduction and Environmental Protection
The GROLS Programme has six main components: Access to Justice, Civilian Police, Joint programme for local governance, Somali Institutional Development Programme, Constitution and Armed Violence Reduction. The overall goal is to strengthen rule of law, governance and security. Integral to this strategy is the recognition that when progress is lacking in one of these areas it has a detrimental effect on the sustainability of achievements in the others.
Over the past several years, the Access to Justice component has strengthened institutions through training and infrastructure rehabilitation. These initiatives were complemented by an approach which included legal empowerment and confidence-building of the Somali public, including legal clinics, legal aid, translation and awareness raising at community levels. The Project will prioritize initiatives that support the prevention and prosecution of sexual and gender based violence cases; and strengthening of institutions and civil society to monitor the situation of human rights in the country and make recommendations to address such issues. The Access to Justice Project is engaged in building and improving the capacities of the criminal justice system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the IC retainer contract, the Legal Translator/Interpreter directly supports Access to Justice and UNDP Somalia’s programmes. The Translator/Interpreter works as part of the Access to Justice project team as well as other Programme support. He/she works closely with the Access to Justice team, the Programme and Operations teams in Garowe/Puntland in carrying out Translation/Interpretation assignments.
Scope of work:
The contractor will:
- Translate legal documents and reports on a variety of subjects for UNDP Access to Justice Project;
- Provide legal and general interpretation from English to Somali and Somali to English;
- Provide interpretation at events and conferences as required;
- Provide interpretation and translation support to legal training and legal aid / legal empowerment;
- Mentoring activities in Somalia.
Monitoring and Progress controls:
Under the direct supervision of the Area Project Manager, the consultant will submit progress reports depending on the duration and agreement on that particular assignment to the Area Project Manager.
- In collaboration with international consultants, draft and interpret legal documents as requested;
- Translate legal Access to Justice documents as requested;
- Provide legal and general interpretation English to Somali and Somali to English at events and conferences as required;
- Provide interpretation and translation support to legal training and legal aid / legal empowerment mentoring activities in Puntland.
Each assignment will be reviewed upon completion before undertaking a fresh assignment.
- Excellent capacity building skills of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Effective presentation and report-writing skills; strong analytical and strategic skills as well as good written and oral communications skills.
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of University degree in law, foreign languages, or any other relevant discipline.
- 5 years experience translating texts in at least one of the areas listed above (democratic governance, rule of law, poverty reduction, environment and energy, crisis prevention and recovery, gender, HIV/AIDS, or capacity development translation and interpretation of documents from English to Somali and Somali to English;
- Good translation skills with capacity to detect and understand nuances in the original text; knowledge of agreed terms for international and Government organizations and development concepts; good grasp of the subject matter; ability to use all sources of reference; attention to detail and ability to maintain an adequate speed and volume of output;
- Good knowledge and working experience on Puntland legal and justice system;
- Two samples of recent, relevant translation work will be requested for, each not being longer than three pages.
- Good knowledge of computer applications.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Somali.
- The expert will be required to have a personal lap top computer.
Terms of Service:
This is a non-staff contract under the Individual Contractor (IC) modality of hiring of the UNDP. Individuals engaged under an IC serve in their individual capacity and not as representative of a government institutions, corporate body or other authority external to UNDP. The incumbent shall not be considered as staff of UNDP, the UN common system or the government and are therefore not entitled to any diplomatic privileges or any other special status or conditions.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.