WEBMASTER FOR UNITED NATIONS INTEGRATED PEACEBUILDING MISSION IN SIERRA LEONE
||Freetown, SIERRA LEONE
|Application Deadline :||27-Jul-12|
|Additional Category||Millennium Development Goals|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six (6) months|
The Webmaster position within the UNCT is central to the overall communication strategy of the UN system and its respective agencies by assisting in the communication of policies, strategies, programmes of respective agencies internally, within the UNCT; nationally; with donor partners; and the international community as a whole. With the forthcoming elections, the Webmaster will assist the UN system in updating information received from constitutionally assigned national sources.
In addition, given the centrality of media to peace consolidation in the country, webmaster plays a role in UN support to media development in the country in terms of enhanced professional and ethical standards of media institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Chief Democratic Institutions Section and the direct supervision of the Public Information Officer, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Assists in the development of the UNCT web-site using interfaces, templates and other standard graphic and web design software;
- In consultation with source/section/agency review content to be posted and edits the documents and graphic material as required;
- Manage the website on a daily basis – technical support, content and information uploads;
- Train UNCT agency staff in the use and upload of information onto the webpage;
- Serves as the focal point for the planning, specification, design, and development of the website including implementation and support of design/style sheets;
- Liaises with all UNCT agencies as required to define and specify requirements;
- Provides guidance and support to new/junior staff in the maintenance of the sub-sites and in the use of interfaces, templates and other tools developed for posting information on the site;
- Prepares technical and user documentation as well as training materials for the application systems used to host the site, and conducts technical presentations;
- Prepares section contributions for various periodic reports;
- Serve as the focal point for coordination and monitoring of computer application systems development projects, involving liaison on web-site related issues with UNIPSIL and UN Agencies in Sierra Leone;
- prepares standard terms of reference; processes and follows up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to website project implementation, including organization of and participation in training, and procurement of equipment and services;
- Performs other duties as assigned. Keeps abreast of developments in the field; performs benchmarking and proposes new acquisitions.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP/UNIPSIL
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Professionalism: Knowledge of organizational information infrastructure, including hardware, software and application systems. Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and ability to use programming skills to develop information systems. Knowledge of system development workflow and document flow processes, ability to conduct research and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Payment to the consultant will be made on monthly basis upon the certification of satisfactory completion by the Public Information Officer.
The consultant will be evaluated against a combination of technical and financial criteria. Maximum score is 100% out of a total score for technical criteria equals 70% and 30% for financial criteria. The technical evaluation will take into account the following as per the weightings provided:
- Educational Background: 10%
- Methodology of approachin accomplishing the consultancy : 60%
- Professional Experience with respect to TOR: 20%
- Excellent ability to communicate in English: 10%
Qualified and interested national candidates are hereby requested to apply. The application must contain the following:
- Brief letter of proposal on how the candidate wish to conduct the work
- Completed P11 form http://sas.undp.org/Documents/P11_personal_history_form.doc
- Detailed achievement based CV
- The financial proposal (consultancy fee)
Please note that applications will only be considered if they have both the technical (methodology) and financial proposal as well as CV.
Required Skills and Experience
- Complete high school education. Formal training in web-administration or graphic design is required.
- At least 5 years of experience with web-administration, content management or graphic design is required. A minimum of three years’ experience with web design using related software is highly desirable.
- Excellent computer and software skills good knowledge of design software such as Photoshop, Macromedia CS3 or any new appropriate software is required. Familiarity with and knowledge of HTML editors and graphics software for the Internet is required. Web-design with good knowledge of design and programming languages such as CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) level 1 and 2, XHTML, java scripts, DHTML and Flash, is required. Excellent knowledge of Internet user essentials (e.g. browsing, e-mails, searching, etc.), as well as of the operating systems Windows Server 2000 and Windows Web-Server 2003 is required.
- Excellent ability to communicate in English.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.