PROGRAMME MANAGER LECB PROJECT (ZAMBIAN NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||03-Aug-12|
|Additional Category||Environment and Energy|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Three years|
The Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Project was established to develop the capacities (institutional, financial, human, research) required for articulation of a low carbon, climate resilient development pathway in Zambia. The specific focus of the project is to create a more sustainable greenhouse gas inventory system; to develop up to four Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs); and to design the associated monitoring, reporting and verification system for the NAMAs.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative (Environment), the Programme Manager is responsible for the management and overall implementation of the Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Project, under the technical direction of the Project Steering Committee and support from the Climate Change Secretariat. The Programme Manager analyzes national mitigation and climate change response policies, programmes and trends, provides policy advice, and leads formulation, management and implementation of project activities.
The Programme Manager supervises and leads project support staff, and coordinates their activities. The Programme Manager works in close collaboration with the UNDP Climate Change Policy Specialist, the UNDP Programme and Operations teams, the Climate Change Secretariat and its Mitigation Technical Working Group, relevant government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society, ensuring successful implementation of the LECB Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of LECB Project activities and objectives
- Management of the LECB Project
- Formulation of a capacity building programme and knowledge management on Low emission Development
- Creation of strategic partnerships and provision of quality policy advice services to Government and implementing partners
Ensures implementation of project activities and objectives focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Design of a Sustainable National GHG Inventory Management system
- Formulation of 4 NAMAs in the energy, agriculture, industrial processes, and waste management sectors
- Design of MRV systems to support implementation and evaluation of the 4 NAMAs
- Thorough analysis of project document in preparation of substantive inputs to the project work plan, project budget, terms of reference for project consultants and other documents, in collaboration with implementing partners, the Climate Change Secretariat and UNDP.
- Support implementing partners in preparation of progress and terminal reports of the project and present to the Project Steering Committee.
Ensures effective management of the LECB project within the mitigation capacity building areas/sectors identified, focusing on quality control from formulation of capacity building components to achievement of the project outputs, achieving the following results:
- Effective management and coordination of the daily project activities and operations including supervising project staff and consultants, managing financial resources, record and monitor the use of all project assets, and oversee procurement processes, as required by UNDP guidelines
- Effective, efficient and transparent utilization of project financial resources to achieve project outputs and objectives
- Conduct financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the project, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions and taking corrective actions where necessary, to ensure that the project achieves its expected outputs within the timeframe and budget
- Participation in project audits and follow up on recommendations, ensuring all exceptions are timely reported.
- Ensures reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes of the project, including Monitoring & Evaluation reports, monthly progress reports, quarterly and annual reports, project financial records and statements, etc., as required by the IPs, UNDP, and the EU.
- Direct supervision of the Project Administrative Assistant in conducting administrative and logistical functions to ensure effective implementation of project activities
- Provide necessary guidance and technical support to consultants and sub-contractors in performing their functions
Facilitate the formulation of a capacity building programme and knowledge management on Low emission Development, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Make sound contributions to the formulation of a capacity building programme, working with the Technical Working Groups and Project consultants in identifying capacity building needs in order to develop institutional, financial, human and research capacities.
- Design, facilitate and conduct seminars, training sessions and workshops various target groups, including project and UNDP staff as necessary.
- Facilitate production and development of training manuals and modules.
- Monitor progress of capacity building activities and produce reports on impact of learning.
Creation of strategic partnerships and provision of quality policy advice services to Government and implementing partners, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Coordinate and provide technical advice to the Project Steering Committee and Mitigation Technical Working Groups to ensure delivery of project outputs making regular consultations with Government counterparts, donor agencies, private sector, NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Development of partnerships as the Project focal point with UN Agencies, Government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, and civil society, based on the strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within specific areas of cooperation. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
Management and Leadership:
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Engineering, Natural Resource Management, Energy Development, or an Environment related field.
- Certification in Programme/Project Management is an added advantage.
- Three (3) years of relevant experience at the national or international level in management of projects related to Climate Change, Clean Development Mechanisms, Carbon Sequestration or emissions projects.
- Experience working with government and implementing partners providing management advisory services, is an added advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers including office software packages and web based management systems
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of local language is a functional advantage. Very good communication skills required.
Desired skill set:
Long-listed candidates will be required to take a written technical test in order to qualify for an interview. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Design and implementation of projects
- Partnership building, dialogue and cooperation
- Capacity building and mentoring
- Donor fund management
- Results Based Management and logical frameworks
- Knowledge of global and national climate change challenges
- Leadership and effective management
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.