FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION SPECIALIST (READVERTISMENT)
||Juba, SOUTH SUDAN
|Application Deadline :||07-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||TBD|
UNDP is a key partner to the GFATM and is the UN agency assuming the role of Principal Recipient (PR) of GFATM grants in selected countries. In its role as Principal Recipient, UNDP is responsible for the financial and Programme management of the GFATM grant as well as for the procurement of health and non-health products. In all areas of implementation, it provides capacity development services to sub-receipts and implementing partners. As Principal Recipient of GFATM funds, UNDP Country Offices are required to strengthen their internal capacity for financial management including the financial monitoring progress. GFATM project financial management will require working together with both Programme and Operations Unit staff. The work will be closely linked to Programme aspects of the Project including a performance based disbursement and replenishment system and tracking key impact indicators.
The Finance and Administration Specialist will report to the Global Fund Coordinator, and liaise with the Operations Manager, UNDP Southern Sudan Office. His/her activities will include all Financial Management activities related to the GFATM grants in Southern Sudan; ensure the administrative and logistics issues of the unit are well managed. The Specialist will supervise and be supported by the Global Fund Programme Management Unit’s Finance and administrative staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight
- Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
- Projects’ budgets management at PR and SR level and organization of an optimal cost-recovery system
- Control of CO accounts
- Control of CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing
1. Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources managed by the program and provision of high-quality professional advice to the unit management and CO finance department
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary and interest income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- In close collaboration with project and unit management, take lead in preparation of annual and proposal budgets for submission to the GFATM;
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unnnusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained;
- Follow-up on disbursements from the Global Fund into PR account;
- Monitor financial management of sub-recipients;
- Build capacity of sub-recipients and other partners for effective financial management and project reporting;
- In liaison with the Programme Coordinator/Advisor and project managers, ensure timely and accurate reporting to GFATM, the Local Fund agent; and
- Liaise with UNDP HQ on GFATM financial matters
- In close collaboration with project and programme management and in accordance with relevant guidelines, prepare annual work-plans, budgets, and budget proposals for submission to UNDP and GFATM
2. Ensure implementation of administration, operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- Program finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal standard operating procedures in the Finance function of the Unit; control of the workflows in the Finance area of the Unit.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects.
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contribution within the program and the unit resource mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies (including introduction and development of e-banking).
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Develop financial procedures: e.g. receipts, payments, disbursement and bookkeeping, filing procedures within the GFATM project;
- Endures that financial procedures are in place comply with the financial/accounting and procurement requirement of the GFATM;
- Develop the internal controls over all financial processes for GFATM grants;
- Ensure an efficient financial flow process to enable timely delivery;
- Prepare regular financial reports to the Local Fund Agent (LFA) for replenishment of PR account;
- Assist the GFATM team to ensure an effective information flow between finance and non-finance actors (on Country Co-coordinating Mechanism (CCM), PR, LFA and sub-recipient level) in order to effectively link the Programme results to expenditures, as required by GFATM;
- Responsible for arranging annual audits of SRs as required by GFATM and sure external auditors have all relevant information. Follow-up on audit reports to ensure that gaps in audit reports are closed;
- Monitor the financial performance of supply management systems/procurement;
- Undertake cost estimates for different activities according to the needs of Programme management;
- Develop, track and report to management financial key performance indicators;
- Manage a smooth transition of the financial processes to the new ERP system;
- Work closely and in full collaboration with the sister GFATM project in Sudan, building synergies where possible.
- Ensure all the operations, logistics and administrative issues within the program to ensure all the grants and programs functions are well supported to meet the targets stated in each projects
- Supervise daily work of Finance and Admin team of the GFATM program; and
- Share best practices and current issues in financial management of the GFATM grant on UNDP’s Knowledge Networks.
3. Manage the budget of the projects at PR and SR (Sub Recipient) and organize an optimal cost-recovery system, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of all financial resources through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation and monitoring of projects’ budgets in Atlas.
- Regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation of management projects.
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for services provided by UNDP ensuring the preparation of pro-forma invoices for UN agencies and monitoring through the Atlas tracking system.
- Collection of information on internal and external clients’ satisfaction and needs in order to develop improvements to services.
- Ensuring that advance payments and direct payments for NEX projects are properly reviewed and made on a timely basis, as well as ensuring that payment information is properly recorded into the Atlas system on a timely basis.
- Ensuring that cost-sharing contributions are properly transferred to UNDP on a timely basis.
- Submission of financial reports to donors on a timely and quality basis.
- Assess financial management capacities of sub recipients;
- Develop an action plan to close identified gaps
- Harmonize reporting and accounting practices of sub-recipients including budgeting and financial key performance indicators;
- Develop a training plan/curriculum for the PRs and sub-recipients’ financial and accounting staff and conduct a training on GFATM results-based disbursement and financial reporting requirements including accounting and procurement management system;
- Monitor sub-recipients as to the accuracy of Financial information and safeguards to eliminate fraud; ensure annual audits of sub-recipients; and
- Ensure continuous support for the financial specialists of sub-recipient organizations
4. Ensure proper control of the PR and SR accounts, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; monthly payment orders (MPOs), travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed. Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow up with partners on contributions, maintenance of the General Ledger.
5. Ensure proper programme cash management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Performing manager level I role in Atlas.
6. Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and sharing in the program and handle communications on behalf of UNDP focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Handle all finance and administrative related issues with the donors, government , sub recipients, and all stakeholders
- Represent UNDP and the PR in a matter related to GFATM at all level
Perform additional tasks as ordered by the immediate supervisor.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Good knowledge of accounting
- Ability to successfully lead the Finance Team
- Excellent IT skills, knowledge of Atlas
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
UNDP Accounting and Finance Training and certification
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or related field. A professional qualification of ACCA or equivalent is a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing financial management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems such as UNDP’s Atlas ERP system.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable ability to coach, tutor and mentor within team and with implementing partners;
- Ability to write training elements that can be delivered by other members of the team;
- Ability to work with administration structures in building their capacity individually and in terms of systems;
- Experience in working with GFATM projects and knowledge of UNDP/GFATM financial and operational procedures and guidelines is a definite asset. Experience in working with GFATM projects and financial procedures is highly required
- Fluency in English and other UN language.
- Arabic language is an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.