UN WOMEN: OPERATIONS SPECIALIST
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||31-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||TA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||364 Days|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Operational Specialist will support all parts of the organization in its continued improvement in the use of the Atlas system for management and decision making. The Operational Specialist will work under the guidance of IPSAS Manager and Finance Specialist, and under the direct supervision of Chief of Accounts, to provide technical and training support to both HQ and country offices.
Specifically the incumbent will support the IPSAS focal point by providing a bridge between UN Women and Office of Information Systems and Technology (OIST) in UNDP regarding the implementation of technical accounting requirements including IPSAS into the Atlas system. And to prepare for the Audit and IPSAS Focal Point a report on current uses of the Atlas system and how procedures can be improved to raise the quality and efficiency of Atlas use.
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with the Operations and Programme staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Under the supervision of the Chief of Accounts the incumbent will perform the following functions:
- Provide support on finalization of IPSAS implementation and UN Women IPSAS Policy and Guideline creation, including various reports design.
- Provide support improvement of Atlas use and various reports design.
Description of Functions:
Provide support on finalization of IPSAS implementation and UN Women IPSAS Policy and Guideline creation, including various reports design
- Finalize the introduction of the fixed asset module. Review functional specifications for completeness and compliance. Write, design and deliver training to HQ and field staff on the fixed asset module. Represent UN Women interests during discussions with OIST. Organize user acceptance testing in UN Women on the outstanding areas.
- Repeat the above for IPSAS implementation in the areas of receipt accrual, prepayment , contribution income and management and financial reporting.
- Review all management reports with users in the Finance, Procurement and Budget Departments with a view to facilitating a suite of user friendly reports that fully service the business units.
- Assist Asset Manager HQ specialist in processing asset transactions in Atlas.
- Develop queries to assist business in analyzing data quality issues.
- Assist in developing IPSAS Atlas videos to be posted on the UN Women Intranet.
- Upload IPSAS content on the intranet in a well-organized and easy-to-find manner.
Provide support improvement of Atlas use and various reports design
- Prepare a comprehensive review of Atlas use by all UN Women units such as Procurement, Finance, Programmes etc. and prepare a road map showing how Atlas can be better used by streamlining processes, recommending improvements/amendments to current reports, designing new reports etc.
- Develop training packages, in collaboration with the IPSAS manager, for staff of different functional areas.
- Contribute, by running reports on Atlas activity, to the planning of pre-audit missions to evaluate field office controls, processes, and capacity.
- Provide on-site visits to support, assess, and train country office staff in Atlas and operational procedures, in collaboration with pre-audit missions.
- Support the development of Internal Control Frameworks for decentralized offices.
- Upload audit/oversight content on the intranet in a well-organized and easy-to-find manner.
- Answer Atlas questions arising through the Business Support Helpdesk.
- Develop, identify and suggest new reports for UN Women business units, in particular Finance Section.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation:
Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams:
Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Proven ability to provide high standards of customer support services
- Ability to communicate effectively within different levels of OBDS and User Community
- Ability to comprehend the sensitivity and impact of IPSAS implementation
- Detail and client orientated
- Ability to plan, set priorities and meet deadlines in a project management environment
- Good organizational skills and ability to adapt quickly as situations dictate
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and when needed, handle multiple issues simultaneously
- A work approach aligned with conflict resolution
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Information Technology, with a concentration on financial systems (Accounting), Engineering, or Business/Public Administration
Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in PeopleSoft Enterprise Financial with excellent knowledge of version 9.0 Purchasing, E-Procurement and Asset Management.
Strong working knowledge of PeopleSoft core applications and underlying data structure through knowledge of PeopleTools 1 and 2, PeopleCode, Application Engine, SQR, Application Messaging, PeopleSoft Query, knowledge on COBOL and OLAP tools is an advantage.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.