ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCE ANALYST (ONLY FOR NEPALESE NATIONALS )
|Application Deadline :||14-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-A|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year Contract|
This position is only applicable for Nepalese Nationals.
The position is based in the joint Resident and Humanitarian Coordinators Office (RCHCO) of the United Nations in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Under the supervision of the Head of Office, the Administrative and Finance Analyst will be responsible for running the administrative, finance and logistics unit of the RCHCO. The Administrative and Finance Analyst works closely with the Head of Office to ensure smooth day-to-day operations as well as overall office management. S/he also works with UNDP Nepal, DOCO and other UN agencies, and service providers. S/he participates in the Operations Management Team meetings and other related forums.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of operational policies, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Ensure full compliance of the RCHCO’s financial (recording/reporting system) and administrative activities with UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Support to field coordination offices’ administration and financial business processes.
- Coordinate and provide necessary support to RCHCO and UNDP for procurement payment and human resources.
- Prepare administrative and finance team result oriented work plans.
- Coordinate with UNDP, to develop of MoUs with regards to common and other services.
- Implement procedures to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UNDP policies and sound financial practices.
- Develop and implement cost saving strategies.
Ensures effective implementation of RCHC Office cost plan management, monitoring expenditure and cost recovery, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare of budget plans in line with work plans and financial rules and regulations and ensure that costs are reasonably estimated. Prepare budget plan revisions as required.
- Support implementation of activities in accordance with the budget plans and available funding.
- Provide information for decision-making to Head of RCHC office.
- Monitor expenditures against financial authorizations.
Ensures effective administration and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implement control mechanisms for administrative services, maintain administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Ensure maintenance of inventory records of assets, ensuring that all RCHCO property is properly labeled, assigned and tracked including in the field offices.
Ensure proper implementation of Human Resources policy, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensure effective implementation of managerial responsibilities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Actively participate in the RCHCO Nepal Staff recruitment process with UNDP HR.
- Liaise with UNDP to ensure timely and correctly monthly salary payment.
- Coordinate with UNDP Country Office to resolve international staff HR issues as required.
- Assist UNDP in monitoring and updating national staff personal files and encourage staff for their career development.
- Assist in the maintenance of the staff database and online security web site for RCHC Office staff members.
- Supervise national staff in the admin, finance & logistic unit of the RCHCO, ensuring regular support and mentoring.
- Participate in RCHCO Heads of Units weekly meetings.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organize training for RCHCO admin. finance & logistics staff.
- Keep staff members up to date on general administrative matters: provide advice and administrative support as needed.
- Participate in inter-agency administrative and financial groups as an active member.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work.
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues.
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
Resource Mobilization: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Client Orientation: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Master’s Degree or equivalent in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy,Economics or any other relevant field.
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy and Finance test required
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing financial management services, managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Proven communication skills in written and spoken English and Nepali languages.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.