ELECTORAL SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
||Home Based with Travel to Baghdad, Iraq
|Application Deadline :||01-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||70 Working Days spread over a period of Three Months.|
- All necessary information including Complete Terms of Reference, Selection Criteria, and Annexes are found on the following link under Procurement Notice Number IC-069/12:
- Proposals should be submitted to the following e-mail address no later than COB 1st Of August 2012:
- Applicants should download the application documents (presented in compressed file) from the previously mentioned link for UNDP Iraq – Procurement notice web site, complete and sign them, and send the scanned copies to the email account above by or before the deadline of this post.
- Applications with NO financial offer or MISSING P11 form or the required documents for the technical evaluation will NOT be considered for evaluation.
- Applications WITHOUT Annex 3 for submitting a financial offer instead of other format will NOT be considered due to the need of Annex 3 for the ease of comparison of the received offers.
- All the necessary information for this post (TOR, Deliverables, Target dates, etc. is presented in the procurement notice documents) therefore, applicant MUST download it to apply for this post.
- DO NOT send only CV to the Email account mentioned above WITHOUT Annex 1, 2, 3, 4, Cover Letter and Methodology (If Requested) as it will considered as incomplete application.
All activities take place in close cooperation with the IHEC. According to Iraq's constitution, the IHEC is a professional, governmental, independent, neutral and autonomous institution, subject to the supervision of the Council of Representatives. It has all authorities to conduct elections in Iraq.
The UN was mandated by UN Security Council Resolution to provide technical support and advice to the IHEC. Since 2004, UNDP, UNAMI and other partners have been supporting the Iraqi electoral commission with necessary technical expertise through experienced electoral experts and advisors. These experts provide both immediate support to implementation of election operations, and also longer term capacity development support. All UN electoral support in Iraq takes place under the framework of the UNAMI-led International Electoral Assistance Team (IEAT), through which UN bodies work together in partnership.
The electoral calendar in Iraq is not yet fully defined. However, Governorate Council elections in 14 provinces of Iraq are currently proposed for March 2013. Provincial elections for the Kurdistan Region may also take place in 2013, as well as possible elections in Kirkuk province. These all require voter registration update periods beforehand. The IHEC is currently putting in place operational plans for these elections.
Voter registration and results tabulation systems are extremely important in the conduct of elections. The need for efficient, accurate and comprehensive data collection and management processes is central to the accountability of electoral processes and overall credibility of elections to all stakeholders. Development of systems for management of voter registration data and tabulations of results has therefore been identified by the IHEC and the IEAT as key areas for technical support for forthcoming electoral events. Additionally, improving the IHEC’s documentation of software and systems development has been highlighted for attention. UNDP therefore seeks a qualified specialist to provide technical input and support in this area
Duties and Responsibilities
- To complete appropriate documentation on software and systems development for the key electoral processes of voter registration and results tabulation, to be provided to the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) for forthcoming electoral processes.
- To provide guidance to the IHEC on best practices in structuring and documentation of software development, as examples to be used for future software development.
As part of the International Electoral Assistance Team, under the supervision of the UNDP Electoral Programme Advisor and in close cooperation with the UNAMI Senior Operations Advisor and UNAMI Database/IT Advisor, the Electoral Software Development Specialist will support the IHEC in the completion of appropriate documentation for the development of voter registration and results tabulation software and systems. S/he will coordinate closely with UN partners and the IHEC in the execution of the following outputs:
In the completion of the above outputs, specific duties will include:
- Review of existing IHEC Voter Registration Update (VRU) software documentation, and revision of documentation to complete a comprehensive, user-friendly manual for the IHEC (home-based).
- Completion of specifications for auditing the Data Entry Centre ICT infrastructure, to ensure requirements for data entry of voter registration and results data are met (home-based).
- Completion of software requirement specifications for development of new software for tabulation of results (Baghdad).
- Completion of recommendations to the IHEC on software development and documentation processes (home-based).
Deliverables and outputs:
- Review existing documentation on software developed for voter registration update and results tabulation data entry processes.
- Update or draft documentation on voter registration, results tabulation and data entry processes as stipulated above.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to the IHEC on best practices in structuring and documentation of software and systems development processes.
- Meet with relevant IHEC staff to discuss the results tabulation software development plan and review the IHEC software development process.
- Advise IHEC staff on how to develop detailed system and other functional specifications, and user documentation for voter registration and results tabulation system.
While UNDP will be responsible for the logistic costs of the participants. The Consultant Under the direct supervision of the requesting unit, is requested to produce for the following deliverables:
- Review the IHEC Voter Registration Update (VRU) software documentation and revise to complete a comprehensive, user-friendly manual.
- Complete specifications for auditing the IHEC Data Entry Centre (DEC) ICT infrastructure.
- Complete software requirement specifications for development of new software for tabulation of results.
- Provide recommendations to the IHEC on structuring and documentation of software development processes.
|Key Performance Indicators during implementation of Services:|
- Provision of clear and comprehensive documents as specified under outputs
- Timely completion of deliverables
- Appropriate coordination with all relevant parties
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Above needs to be certified by the UNDP Electoral Programme Advisor upon completion of each deliverable when due as applicable.
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of Management Information Systems, particularly in systems analysis, system design, testing and maintenance;
- Demonstrates experience in software development lifecycle and knowledge of high level programming languages;
- Has substantial and diverse experience in electoral administration, with a focus on software development for electoral processes;
- Able to provide mentoring and on-job training;
- Establishes goals and priorities and is able to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing culture in the office and with stakeholders.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; is able to communicate complex technical issues and ideas in a clear and concise manner;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Communicates with diplomacy and tact.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Monitors developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep them informed, anticipate problems and identify opportunities.
Conceptual innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve goals and promotes good team spirit;
- Possesses good interpersonal skills and maintains strong relationships with colleagues and partners;
- Able to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services;
- Offers new and different options to solve problems;
- Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Has proven analytical and evaluative skills, and the ability to formulate solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
Qualifications and Requirements:
- An advanced university degree in Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field.
- A minimum of seven (07) years of functionally-related relevant professional experience.
- Comparative experience in electoral administration, including software development and information technologies to support electoral processes, in particular voter registry and vote tabulation systems.
- Experience in Software Development Lifecycle, and design and management of relational databases.
- Experience in working directly with EMBs and providing technical advice to counterparts.
- Experience in project management and delivering services to clients.
- Prior electoral experience in post-conflict countries is required; experience in the region, and in particular related to Iraq, would be an asset.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Working knowledge of Arabic an asset.
Documents to be included when submitting the Proposal:
(Which will include the following):
- Signed Template Confirmation of Interest and Submission of Financial Proposal. (Please use Annex 1);
- A letter explaining why he/she considers himself/herself the most suitable candidate for the work;
- Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references. Please Use the attached (P11 Form Only) CV Form – Annex 2 attached. UNDP-Iraq reserves the right to disqualify any of CVs who are not compliant with the requested form.
The financial proposal will specify a total lump sum amount and payment terms around specific and measurable (qualitative and quantitative) deliverables. Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. A breakdown of this lump sum amount is to be provided by the IC candidate. Total Fees: Please use Annex 3 – Financial proposal form.
All necessary information including: Complete Terms of Reference, The Selection Criteria, and Annexes are found on the following link under Procurement Notice Number IC-069/12:
Proposals should be submitted to the following e-mail address no later than COB 1st August of 2012:
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.