INDIVIDUAL INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT: M&E SPECIALIST
|Application Deadline :||02-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||120 work days (spread over 6 months)|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||120 work days (spread over 6 months)|
The United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) for Uganda sets out the strategic focus of the UN’s collaboration with the Government of Uganda from 2010 to 2014. It articulates the jointly agreed development objectives between the UN and the Government of Uganda for a stronger harmonization and coherence of UN assistance in Uganda in line with the principles of the Paris Declaration and the Accra Action Plan. UNDAF is a high level framework, implemented through the programming instruments of agencies, funds and programmes.
At the end of 2010, the Ugandan Government requested that Uganda becomes a self starter for the Delivering as One approach. A mid-term review of the UNDAF will be undertaken from July 2012 to November 2012 in order to inform this change process and provide a road map for the next years’ roll out of the Delivering as One approach in Uganda.
In this context, the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office for Uganda has identified the need to reinforce its capacities in the area of Monitoring and Evaluation by recruiting a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist. The objective of this position is to support the UN Resident Coordinator (RC) and the UNCT to strengthen common monitoring systems and processes of the UNCT towards common results as outlined in strategic frameworks and documents and to ensure reporting to government, the UN Development Operations Coordination Office (UNDOCO), donors and other key stakeholders on pertinent UNCT results. The consultant reports to the UN Coordination Specialist in the Resident Coordinator’s Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance to the UN Monitoring and Evaluation Group and the Programme Management Team in the oversight of the UNDAF Mid-Term/Delivering as One Review, including the organization of UNCT retreat on Delivering as One.
- Provide technical assistance to the UN Monitoring and Evaluation Group and the Programme Management Team in the mapping of all programme and project interventions by outcome groups and by agency for the 5 year UNDAF period (finalization of database; preparations for UNDAF Action Plan).
- Provide technical assistance to the UN Monitoring and Evaluation Group, the Programme Management Team and the UN Country Team in the elaboration of the UNDAF Action Plan document (2012-2015).
- Provide assistance to Resident Coordinator’s office as requested in the area of M&E and RBM, such as advising the Resident Coordinator on M&E activities, strengthening monitoring of UN joint programmes, support the final reporting on the UN Peacebuilding Programme, strengthen mechanisms and tools for joint UN monitoring planning and implementation, including joint field monitoring, etc.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN Development Group.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people respectfully and fairly without favouritism.
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies.
- Proven ability to analyze and integrate diverse information to provide advice to senior managers and colleagues.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks.
- Ability to monitor progress against targets, milestones and deadlines.
- Demonstrates understanding of UN systems, procedures and operational activities.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant national, regional and/or international experience in monitoring and evaluation related to international development or related fields.
- Relevant and specific experiences related to project management, risks and general M&E functions.
- Knowledge of, and ability to manipulate, information management tools and systems (soft and hardware).
- Familiarity with UN planning, implementation and reporting modalities, and administrative and financial management procedures.
- Experience of the UN Delivering as One Approach and UN reform.
- Significant previous background in institutional environment of development cooperation (NGO’s, UN system, multilateral cooperation, etc.) with preference given to candidates with a wide experience in UN.
- Experience working in Uganda
- Knowledge of policy frameworks in Uganda
- Knowledge of the political and socio-economic situation in Uganda.
- Excellent knowledge of M&E tools, procedures and international standards for monitoring of projects and programmes within the context of developmental support programmes.
- Fluency and excellent command of written and spoken English is a necessity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, Economics or related social sciences.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- A Job Proposal: Letter of Interest, stating why you consider yourself suitable for the assignment;
- Personal CVs highlighting past experience in similar assignments;
- Work references - contact details (e-mail addresses) of referees
- Financial proposal indicating consultancy fee (daily rate and total )and a breakdown of expenses (unit price together with any other expenses) related to the assignment.
Eligible consultants are required to submit application and a detailed CV/Resume at http://jobs.undp.org.
Please note that the system will only allow you to upload one document, therefore all the technical and financial proposals are to be attached to the CVs and uploaded together at once
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.