FINANCE ASSOCIATE (DONOR REPORTING)
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||11-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-7|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Internally advertised General Service (GS) fixed-term appointment (FTA) positions located in Headquarters are open to GS staff members currently serving in New York/Washington D.C. who hold a UNDP permanent or FTA who are either US Permanent Residents, US citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Current UNDP GS staff serving outside of HQ must meet the eligibility criteria stated above prior to their application.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (ASAT).
Applicants under serious consideration for short-listing of posts requiring accountancy and finance skills, must take the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT) prior to short-listing.
UNDP provides timely and accurate information to donors, partners and the general public. This places great emphasis not only on the accuracy of the information, but also the way in which it is managed and communicated to third parties.
The position reports to the Manager, Donor Reporting and will assist with the extraction, formulation and analysis of financial data on donor contributions, the preparation of Donor Reports on revenue received, expenses incurred and other financial information for all co-financing resources, and ad-hoc financial reports; the preparation of statutory reports and special reports as deemed necessary by the Administrator of UNDP.
This position will assist with the design, development and effective implementation of new reports. The position also will assist as part of the link between UNDP’s divisions that support donor and partner relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
- Statutory reports preparation
- Data extraction, modeling and analysis
- Donor reporting
- Donor relations
Compile data and prepare statutory reports and analytical tables on UNDP managed resources.
- Liaise with relevant UN agencies to obtain data/information.
- Compile data/information for consistency, accuracy and reliability in order to produce statistical tables for the Executive Board session held in June - September of each year.
- Support the analysis of data and draft analytical narrative for the main Executive Board reports.
- Perform ad-hoc duties related to reporting as requested by Executive Board.
- Participate in the drafting of the Management Note which includes the background of the report, UNDP’s objective and strategy.
Support the research and analysis of corporate UNDP data on revenue, expenses and other financial information.:
- Produce statistical data on trend analysis with attendant narrative reports using UNDP corporate reporting tools such as Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE).
- Support the analysis of project financial information and prepare other reports for various clients, internal and external to UNDP.
- Support the Atlas user community in terms donor related data analysis, preparation of report specifications and testing of outputs/queries.
Compile financial data and prepare reports for donors:
- Prepare Donor reports, including the creation and development of custom reports where required.
- Prepare background papers, schedules and analysis to support special meetings with donors using the UNDP financial statements, on line ERP (Atlas) data, specialized queries, UNDP corporate reporting tools and SQR reports.
- Undertake mapping exercises to ensure that donor reference details have been attained, mapped to UNDP project activities, and are reflected in Donor reports.
Contribute to the maintenance of sound donor relations:
- Ensure increased levels of Donor satisfaction through close liaison with relevant UNDP units and donors, and through assisting with donor visits.
- Follow up with relevant UNDP units on financial and/or programme matters and follow-up on issues raised by Donors and ensure issues are resolved in time to meet periodic reporting schedules.
Impact of results:
Inaccurate data provided to Donors, UN Agencies, Executive Board and other UNDP partners would impact UNDP’s reputation, and could lead to deterioration of relationships with Donors. Ultimately it could also result in loss of resources to UNDP.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages others to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
- Actively committed to the development of self and others in all relevant areas of Finance within the Region
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialised activities related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting
- Sound knowledge of financial policies, procedures and processes for UNDP
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering and the development of existing systems
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Responsive to country office and head office needs, and responds positively to requests for assistance
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Able to contribute to meetings within OFA and with other internal and external Partners
Data Gathering and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Uses information/databases/other management systems to extract and model data
- Strong IT skills, including the ability to use business intelligence tools to extract information, and further analyse that information
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems to best utilize technology
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Long-listed candidates will be invited to undergo the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible finance and/or accounting experience.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet, business intelligence and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of a second UN language would be desirable.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.