CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (FOR NEPALESE NATIONALS ONLY)
||Kathmandu with extensive visits to MEDEP and MEDE-PA districts, NEPAL
|Application Deadline :||27-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six months. Service contract will be issued annually with possibilities of extension|
|The Government of Nepal (GoN) has been implementing Micro-Enterprise Development Programme – Phase III (MEDEP - III) with support from United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The purpose of MEDEP is to provide support to the Government of Nepal to design policies and take initiatives to expand employment opportunities through Micro-Enterprise Development for Poor, Youths, Women and Socially Excluded Groups in selected districts
Duties and Responsibilities
Capacity Development Specialist will report to National Programme Manager (NPM) and in close consultation with NPM and the project team will:
- Train Government Officials (central level and district level staffs of Department of Cottage and Small Industry (DCSI) and Cottage and Small Industry Development Board (CSIDB), District Enterprise Development Committee (DEDC) member organisation staffs to implement Micro-Enterprise Development for Poverty Alleviation (MED-PA).
- Undertake capacity development needs analysis of MED-PA under the Government programme.
- Develop plan of action for capacity development of the stakeholders of MEDEP.
- Co-ordinate with Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT), Ministry of Education, private training institutes to produce Enterprise Development Facilitator (EDF) through 15 Month Technical School Leaving Certificate (TSLC) Course.
- Co-ordinate with relevant organisations to make provision of scholarships to develop EDF to meet the demand of EDF of the government and other project programmes.
- Coordinate with National Skill Testing Board of CTEVT in order to develop certified EDF for implementation of MEDEP model and MED-PA of Government programme.
- Train MEDEP staff and partner organizations for addressing gender and social inclusion in micro-enterprise development.
- Assess the physical, human resources and logistics of government, DDC, other stakeholders and find out the areas of needs to support them.
- Design, organise and conduct need-based training to the MEDEP staff, partner organizations’ staff and the micro-entrepreneurs on different aspects.
- Develop Terms of References (TORs) for consultants and trainers for conducting study, research and surveys in food related policies, activities, issues and problems and guide them to accomplish the tasks.
- Prepare and revise training manuals on different subjects.
- Coordinate with Start and Improve Your Business (SIYB) Secretariat on behalf of MEDEP and provide technical inputs in institutionalization of SIYB secretariat in Nepal.
- Ensure that gender and social inclusion concept and principles are internalised in the programme by all staff, government organisations, DEDC members, BDSPOs, DMEGAs, PB members and other partner organisations and also ensure the at least two third decision making positions (Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer) of MEDEP promoted organisations (MEGAs, DMEGAs, NMEGA, BDSPOs, NEDC and others) are occupied by either Women and/or Dalits and/or Indigenous Nationalities.
- Co-ordinate with government and private training institutes to review the skill training packages and develop new packages.
- Conduct field visits to monitor capacity development activities.
- Conduct any other activity as required by NPM and MEDEP management.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Strong IT skills
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in management or social science or any other relevant field from the recognized university
- S/he should have minimum five years experiences in the relevant fields.
- With demonstrated skills in training management and experience in organizational capacity development of Micro and Small enterprises development.
- S/he should possess understanding and knowledge of the basic computer systems such as MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in both spoken and written Nepali and English languages is required.
- Skills in typing Nepali language is an added advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.