TEAM LEADER, POVERTY REDUCTION AND ECONOMIC MANAGEMENT
|Application Deadline :||09-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|The UNDP 7th Country Programme is anchored in the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF 2009-2012, now extended to 2013. The strategic focus of the 7th Country Programme is to contribute towards the long-term goal of Nigeria to forge a ‘transformational state’ that articulates an inclusive national vision of development, uses its resources accountably, manages public institutions effectively and fosters respect for the rule of law. The UNDAF and UNDP programme are drawn from the Seven Point Agenda, the second National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy and the longer-term strategic Vision 20:2020, the UNDP Strategic Plan (2008-2011) as well as the UNDP Africa Strategy – Capacity Development for Pro-poor Growth and Accountability. The Country Programme initially covered 4 key areas, namely, (1) Economic Governance Programme (EGP) and Prioritizing Resources for Development; (2) Capacity for Governance Programme (CGP) and Accountability and oversight in Resource Management; (4) Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP): Growing the Non-Oil Resource Base and Promoting Inclusive Markets; and (4) Sustainability and Risk Management. Following the UNDAF mid-term review and internal realignment of UNDP in 2011, the areas of focus were redefined as (1) Poverty Reduction and Economic Management Programme; (2) Governance and Peacebuilding Programme; and (3) Sustainable Development Programme. These are implemented within the context of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework II for Nigeria through several Federal Agencies, 14 States and other Nigerian partners.
The Poverty Reduction and Economic Management Programme (PREMP) is part of a larger agenda to reduce poverty by facilitating entrepreneurial activities, employment generation, enhancing human development and promoting the MDGs in Nigeria, and support the coordination of the fight against HIV/AIDS through efficient economic management. The PREMP is a deliberate attempt to nurture growth in the non-oil sector of the economy using the ‘inclusive markets’ approach to create opportunities and enhance security of the poor. In particular, activities will aim at promoting enterprise development (MSMEs, SMEs etc.) thus allowing the private sector to make a greater contribution to growth, employment and income generation associated with economic opportunities and securities of the poor.
The Programme Team Leader/Manager for the PREMP will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director Programmes; and the overall direction of the Country Director. S/he will provide quality advisory services to the senior management on all aspects of poverty reduction and economic management, and manage the PREMP. The Team Leader will work with others to translate programme documents into robust and innovative strategies to achieve measurable programme results. S/he should be a development practitioner with explicit experience in poverty reduction. Also, s/he will build the capacity of staff and government counterparts in the course of her/his work. S/he will work effectively with the other programme units to deliver cohesively on the country office programme of support.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of key functions:
Ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP Governance Programme
Facilitation of knowledge services and capacity development
Building of strategic partnerships
Managerial and technical leadership as well as oversight for project implementation
Function / Expected Results: Policy and Programme Advisory Services:
Function / Expected Results: Facilitation of knowledge services and capacity development:
- Provide intellectual and/or substantive programme leadership to enhance poverty reduction through policy development, the development of the private sector as an engine of growth, pro-poor growth through employment generation and social protection; and coordination of the fight against HIV and AIDS;
- Lead and guide programme and project formulation to support the development and implementation of effective pro-poor strategies and policies, including private sector development;
- Facilitate partnerships between private companies and UNDP Nigeria’s country office through a combination of advisory and capacity building services, thus creating an opportunity to strengthen national capacities for the creation and continuous improvement of a business environment;
- Provide support to and be directly involved in the programme’s capacity building efforts;
- Promote convergence between the different development interventions in pro-poor development and coherence with the work of other development agencies;
- Identify opportunities to enhance cross team working to capitalize on the specific advantages of multi-discipilinary support;
- Provide top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitate knowledge building and management particularly in the areas of poverty reduction and economic management issues.
Function / Expected Results: Building of strategic partnerships:
- Undertake knowledge capture at national, regional and global levels in the areas of development policy, private sector development, employment generation, economic management and produce knowledge-based products as relevant;
- Research and analyze case studies of inclusive development in northern and southern countries especially, donor programmes for intervention in Nigeria’s as necessary;
- Provide knowledge building and policy advisory services on international best practices in pro-poor development issues;
- Develop the capacity of unit and project staff, and government counterparts in the development and implementation of programmes that target poverty reduction and the vulnerable.
Function / Expected Results: Management of the PREMP and supervision of the programme team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
- Mobilize and network with the experts of national and regional offices of the UN System, international development organizations, sub-regional and regional associations, affiliations and bodies (inter-governmental, non-government or private sector) and prominent private sector organizations;
- Undertake national and international networking with government ministries, departments and agencies, donors and development agencies, national and international NGOs, academic institutions and civil society organizations to promote and improve knowledge of pro-poor development in Nigeria;
- Undertake coordination functions with on-going and proposed projects that directly or indirectly benefit pro-poor development planning in Nigeria.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring and achievement of results.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of fanatical resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. Under delegated authority may perform the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impacts of Poverty Reduction Programme and M & E. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely adjustment of programme.
- Ensures effective follow up to Audit
- Organization of cost recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with operations Manager.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues
- Established track record of delivering strong analytical products with policy relevance
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
Management and Leadership:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programmes
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to interact with policy officials at the highest levels of society
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Good interpersonal skills
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration and other social science and/or related discipline.
At least 10 years experience in poverty reduction, development and planning at national level with focus on inclusive growth of asset base of the poor.
Preference for those with direct experience of working on poverty reduction and/or economic management programmes.
Demonstrated ability to engage at the highest levels with donors and development agencies, government officials and UN Agencies.
Knowledge of international best practices and policies in the fields of poverty reduction and pro-poor development strategies.
Proven capacity development experience.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural setting.
Strong team working experience, particularly at leadership level.
High-level computing skills in word processing, spreadsheets, power point, and preferably web pages;
Excellent command of written and spoken English and at least one Nigerian language
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.