VALUE CHAIN SPECIALIST (VCS) (FOR NEPALESE NATIONALS ONLY)
||Kathmandu with frequent field visits of MEDEP and MEDE-PA districts, NEPAL
|Application Deadline :||27-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six months. Service contract will be issued annually with possibilities of extension|
|The Government of Nepal (GoN) has been implementing Micro-Enterprise Development Programme – Phase III (MEDEP - III) with support from United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The purpose of MEDEP is to provide support to the Government of Nepal to design policies and take initiatives to expand employment opportunities through Micro-Enterprise Development for Poor, Youths, Women and Socially Excluded Groups in selected districts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Value Chain Specialist will report to National Programme Manager (NPM) and in close consultation with NPM and the project team, will:
- Take lead in the selection of most potential value chains for promotion in consultation with stakeholders including private sector.
- Develop action plan on value chains promotion to benefit resource poor producers / processors in targeted districts.
- Promote functional collaboration with other stakeholders, projects and development partners to strengthen the selected value chains.
- Work closely with Regional and relevant district level offices (MOAC and MOFSC) for increased access to technical support services.
- Develop mechanism to link micro-entrepreneurs with input suppliers, and to markets.
- Develop collaboration with private sector to provide embedded technical services especially to improve product quality, packaging, and branding.
- Conduct market studies and competitiveness studies for improved access of products of micro-entrepreneurs in the domestic and export markets.
- Implement value chains of the products already analysed by MEDEP such as Dhaka, Allo, Incense Stick and Chyuri Herbal Soap.
- Train MEDEP professionals, members of DMEGAs, partner NGOs (BDSPs), district level offices of DCSI, CSIDB and district level member organisations of DEDIC to understand the concept of Value Chain Analysis and its importance in enterprise promotion and entrepreneurship development.
- Process documentation, collection and compilation of required information from the entrepreneurs and stakeholders.
- Conduct value chain analysis for selected commodities / products already initiated in mandarin and sweet oranges, dairy, NTFPs, ginger and other products as necessary.
- Take lead to co-ordinate and co-operate with other organisations and projects having expertise in value chain work such as INCLUDE/GIZ, SNV, PACT, NEAT, HVAP, Agro-Enterprise Centre (FNCCI), etc.
- Sharing the experience and results at annual regional review meeting with stakeholders for strengthening of value chains through refinement of approaches and modalities for effective collaboration.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
- Develops substantive knowledge of one or more Practice Areas
- Promotes a learning environment in the office
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Leadership and Self-Management
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree in Economics or Agricultural Economics, Agriculture, Forestry, Agri-Business Management or Management or any other relevant fields.
- S/he should have working experiences of at least five years in value chain / sub sector analysis.
- He/she should be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the basic concepts of market-based value chain analysis on the specified sectors.
- S/he should possess understanding and knowledge of the computer systems such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Typing skills in Nepali language will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in both spoken and written Nepali and English languages is a must.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.