MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (OVERSIGHT & COMPLIANCE)
|Application Deadline :||17-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
English French |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative, the Management Specialist is responsible for quality control, oversight and Compliance of all activities in the Country Office. Recognizing the importance of these functions and that they are a shared responsibility for which all staff are accountable and to which all staff contribute, the CO has decided to have one staff who will coordinate the implementation of these functions with staff across the office. The Management Specialist will work closely with programme, projects and Operation, UNDP HQ staff, bilateral donors and staff in other UN agencies.
The Management Specialist acts as an advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of CO programme and operations, with regard to compliance with UNDP rules and regulations
Duties and Responsibilities
Strengthens transparency and accountability, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Contribute to the achievement of project objectives and outcomes by carrying out regular oversight review of projects, assess reliability and integrity of information provided in project reports, and the completeness of supporting documents.
- Assess the effective and efficient use of project resources as per the agreed annual workplan.
- Ensure proper implementation of internal control systems and in the maintenance of compliance standards
- Advise UNDP management, project staff and implementing agencies regarding control systems, assess their effectiveness and general operational compliance with UNDP Rules and Regulations, Policies and Procedures
- Assess work processes and office structure to ensure that tasks are carried out with maximum integrity
- Review performance/progress of implementing UNDP supported projects (NIM/ DIM) by determining their conformity with UNDP Financial rules and regulations, and the requirement of the Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP).
- Strengthen transparency and accountability in project implementation, programme management and carry out performance reviews to ensure targets are met; and make appropriate recommendations for improvement.
Provides effective and reliable performance and risk assessment, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- In consultation with the management team, provides assessment of risk areas and work with project staff to minimize risk exposure levels.
- Review the CO risk logs and ensure that risks are adequately assessed and escalated if need be. S/He should ensure that adequate processes are in place to mitigate those risks.
- Alert the CO management about any suspected misconduct in projects or CO.
- Participate in indicator and target setting to establish reliable performance assessment criteria
- Consults with clients on a regular basis to improve performance
- Support the refinement and development of performance assessment tools to enhance the performance assessment process
Strongly positions UNDP in the UN family focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of opportunities for UNDP in its relationship with other UN Agencies.
- Implementation of CO strategy for partnering with UN Agencies around UNDAF, MDG and other joint programming for implementation of UN Reform.
Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing:
- Contributes to the ongoing development of professional practices in the area of his/her competencies.
- Participates in the implementation of his/her personal learning and training development plan
- Performs other assignments or tasks as determined by the Resident Representative.
Ensure quality Control in all key activities of the Country Office:
- Provides timely reports to the Sr management on the CO performance (Atlas Data Quality Dashboards, Balance Score Cards, etc..) & make recommendations for improvement, including benchmarks;
- Monitors accuracy of financial reporting to donors
- Ensures that internal Control Framework is correctly implemented in the CO and provides solutions on operational weaknesses.
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build alliances
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Participates in the development of mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines (financial resources management)
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Continually looking for ways to enhance financial performance in the office
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
Design And Implementation of Management Systems:
- Makes recommendations regarding operation of systems within organizational units
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
- Anticipates client needs
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree preferably in Administration, Business, Finance or related field
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in one or more of the following areas: programme resource management, project management, financial management and audit management within the private sector or International NGOs, preferably the last three years with UNDP or one of its UN sister agencies.
- Work experience with an ERP system, (experience with ATLAS preferred).
- Knowledge of UNDP’s Internal Control Framework (or similar financial management and control frameworks) required.
- Excellent knowledge of programme and project management, analysis and resource management.
- Excellent knowledge of issues pertaining to multi-donors funding, related reporting systems, especially within the context of large fiduciary funds administered by the United Nations or UNDP more specifically;
- Understanding of the Generally accepted professional practice standards for internal auditing (The Institute of Internal Auditors ) is an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of computer standard applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Fluency in the French and working Knowledge in English.
Attention to all applicants:
Please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11) which can be downloaded at
Please include email addresses for your Supervisors. Without the completed and signed UNDP P11, your application will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and please ensure that copies of your educational qualifications are available when contacted.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.