PROJECT MANAGER: EU HIGH LEVEL POLICY ADVICE MISSION
|Application Deadline :||27-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 (one) year|
|The overall objective of the project is to provide high level policy advice to the Republic of Moldova in the overall implementation of the Government Programme “European Integration: Freedom, Democracy, Welfare” 2009-2013, with particular focus on the EU integration agenda, economic recovery and reforms. The support will be offered to key institutions including the Prime Minister’s Office, the Ministries of Justice, Economy, Interior, Agriculture, Finance as well as Public Procurement Agency and Tax Service and support them in their efforts of designing, implementing and monitoring relevant policies and measures. The project will employ a team of international high level experts in key areas to act as advisers to the Government office, line ministries and other institutions. The Mission is funded by the European Union and implemented by UNDP. A Project Manager will be employed to manage the operations of the Mission including complex contractual arrangements for the mission personnel, as well as other activities in line with EU and UNDP rules. The post requires strong commitment to UNDP mandate, outstanding managerial abilities, excellent diplomatic skills, very good understanding of UNDP rules and regulations, knowledge of EU-UN Financial and Administrative Framework Agreement.
The project started in 2010 and was extended in April 2012 for 18 months, with a possibility of further extension subject to an evaluation in mid-2013. It is a sensitive and important intervention; its recommendations and advice will be transformed into policy actions by the Moldovan officials. These policy actions will generate scope of work for additional interventions in support of implementing reforms in Moldova, particularly when it comes to the negotiation and implementation of the new agreement between the EU and Moldova, capacity development and public administration reform, Confidence Building Measures and others. Specific projects deriving from the advisers’ recommendations will be designed and proposed for implementation within the next EU-Moldova programming cycles.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative and in close collaboration with the UNDP Assistant Resident Representative/Governance, Justice and Human Rights, the EU Delegation to the Republic of Moldova, as well as with the Government administration and the Mission team, the Project Manager will manage and coordinate the work of 15 international high-level advisors and 9 local experts towards achieving the goals of the project, as well as the work of the project support staff.
The Project Manager will be primarily responsible for management of the project activities, for the appropriate use of project’s inputs and resources towards the achievement of its main objectives and will ensure compliance with relevant rules of procurement, recruitment, and financial management, as well as provide regular reporting on the project progress and achievements.
Ensure adequate monitoring and evaluation tools, including work-plans, reports, field visits etc. in place in line with EU and UNDP rules and procedures;
Implement the Mission’s internal rules of procedure (internal control framework) while ensuring the administration of project inputs in accordance with EU and UNDP regulations; Manage the project’s inputs to ensure the delivery of results envisaged by the project work-plan;
- The incumbent will be overall responsible for adjustment and implementation of all work related tools, including monitoring and evaluation in accordance with programmatic procedures and requirements of EU and UNDP.
Ensure compliance with monitoring and reporting guidelines by producing relevant operational and financial reports according to the rules and procedures of EU and UNDP;
- The incumbent will be responsible for the mission’s business processes mapping in cooperation with the EU and UNDP Country Offices and implementation of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Mission Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services, Results Management. Related to this, the incumbent will constantly monitor and analyze the administrative environment, apply quick readjustments as required, providing adequate expertise on legal considerations and risk assessment.
Lead, coordinate work of, and evaluate mission’s administrative support staff;
- Benefiting from inputs from the members of the Mission, the Project Manager will be in charge for compilation of regular progress and final operational and financial reports. On financial reporting, the incumbent will make sure the mission is in compliance with all corporate rules and regulations of EU and UNDP in the field of financial planning, expenditures tracking, reporting and auditing.
Advise the UNDP Senior Management on all aspects related to the Mission’s management;
- Under this category the incumbent will ensure compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies under EU and UNDP HR procedures; will be responsible for monitoring and achievement of optimal staffing of the Mission. The incumbent will also oversee the recruitment processes and performance management systems ensuring link of job design with recruitment, performance management; and ensure practical and effective work arrangements;
- The incumbent will provide advice and counseling to UNDP CO and EU Delegation on all aspects of management, including provision of advice on strategies, policies and plans affecting Mission administration, delivery of practice advisory, knowledge and learning services.
|Functional Competencies: |
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
Building Strategic Partnerships: Identifying and building partnerships
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other international organizations to the UNDP’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UNDP’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate: Developing promotional projects and organizational messages
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Identifies and develops activities to enhance the visibility of UNDP
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of messages
- Creates and cultivates networks of partners to promote UNDP’s image
- Conducts assessments of activities to improve impact and effectiveness
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise: Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
Client Orientation: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
- Leverages multi disciplinary, institutional knowledge and experience of other countries and regions to promote UNDP’s development agenda
- Participates in dialogue about conceptual innovation at the country and regional levels
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree preferably in public administration, business administration, economics or a related field; formal training and certification (similar to PRINCE2) in project management is desired.
- At least 7 (seven) years of relevant experience at the international level in complex project and programme management, preferably in an UNDP-execution context
- Previous experience working in an advisory capacity development and managing advisory teams is preferred
- Excellent knowledge of UNDP’s administrative rules, regulations, procedures, best practices and related documentation is a must; Previous experience and knowledge of EC regulations is a strong advantage
- Fluency in English (written and spoken). Working knowledge of Russian and/or Romanian is an advantage.
Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) as attachment instead of CV/resume.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.