UN WOMEN: KNOWLEDGE GATEWAY PROJECT MANAGER
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||24-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Economic empowerment is one of the priority areas of UN Women. UN Women Economic Empowerment Section works with Governments and multilateral partners to promote women’s economic empowerment and increase their access to economic opportunities, especially for those who are most excluded.
UN Women is developing a comprehensive and interactive knowledge management platform—the Knowledge Gateway—which seeks to respond to the demand for a multilingual and multidimensional platform on women’s economic empowerment. It will offer information solutions and networking opportunities for women and gender equality advocates to better share existing good practices and experience. It will also help position UN Women as the global knowledge broker on how to achieve women’s economic empowerment by increasing availability of cutting-edge research and up-to-date information, data and knowledge on women’s economic empowerment. The Gateway aims to increase women’s voice, participation and leadership in and contribution to the economy not only to influence policy but also to effect change in their own lives. A grant agreement has been signed with CIDA in the amount of approximately CDN$5 million for a four-year period.
The Knowledge Gateway Project Manager reports to the Chief, Economic Empowerment Section/Policy Division for guidance and supervision and is responsible for global knowledge management and knowledge-sharing on economic empowerment of women and management of the overall project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Programme coordination
- Knowledge management
Description of Functions:
- Develop and finalize the Knowledge Gateway strategy and action plan
- Develop a project monitoring and evaluation plan; monitor and maintain Knowledge Gateway performance indicators and assist with reporting on practice performance and Gateway utilization;
- Coordinate with the ICT team and Knowledge Management Team to establish quarterly workplans;Develop an internal communications strategy and ensure regular and relevant information is shared among all staff to better the performance of the Gateway;
- Provide substantive, technical and administrative support for the timely and effective implementation of project, such as managing project/programme resources, liaising with the relevant partners and facilitating linkages to global initiatives, monitoring, reporting and analysis of achievements, results and future directions of the Knowledge Gateway;
- Prepare periodic progress reports to be submitted to partner organizations and donors, including preparing the monthly digest.
- Prepare and update bi-annual work plans on the global knowledge-management initiative and track results for annual reporting.
- Preparation of evaluation modalities for regular user feedback on the global knowledge-management piloting for continuous improvements.
- Develop fundraising proposals, reports to donors, and prepare and manage the section’s budget for knowledge management.
- Global mapping of policies, programmes, and initiatives related to economic empowerment of women to compile resources and state-of-the-art guidance for target audience. This requires on-going research and capturing of new tools, guidelines, evaluations, good practices, campaigns, data analyses and reports.
- Technical screening of the material captured for preliminary assessment of its value-added, quality and relevance.
- Oversight of the on-going maintenance of a compendium of recommended 'how to' technical tools for women’s economic empowerment.
- Oversight for the updating and upkeep of the on-line support site housing the knowledge-sharing products (working in coordination with web-related staff/consultant).
- Facilitate consultations with technical experts and institutions, including from other UN agencies, to validate recommendations on selected tools and products and foster shared ownership of the website’s contents.
- Upkeep of state-of-the-art lessons learned (by area of intervention, sector) based on extensive and on-going literature review and through communications with UN and other partner agencies, especially of large-scale joint initiatives and evaluations.
- Prepare/finalize all substantive elements of technical subcontracts for the development of knowledge management products, for processing by the administrative assistant; and take the lead in technically supervising and guiding the development of those products.
- Prepare/finalize contents for uploading to the website in user-friendly formats and language conducive to learning for programmers.
- Serve as a 'help desk' to staff and other external partners in accessing key on-line tools and supports for programming, packaging and disseminating tailored resources not yet available on the knowledge gateway and in trouble-shooting navigation of the website.
- Provide feedback and inputs for the development of public outreach and promotional plans aimed at users of the on-line programming support site, and support the knowledge management specialist in this regard.
- Represent the Knowledge Gateway in interagency, intergovernmental, international, regional and national conferences and internal meetings and advocate the role of the Knowledge Gateway in enhancing women's economic empowerment;
- Maintain a watching brief on events and knowledge development in the arenas of women’s economic empowerment. To this end, produce occasional updates or notes, attend relevant workshops, or organize gatherings (workshops etc) to advance learning in this field, or to promote better programming;
- Liaise with relevant networks, organizations and partner offices in developing knowledge products and in organizing learning platforms to promote the Knowledge Gateway
Impact of Results
- The key results have a major impact on the overall effectiveness of UN Women’s work on economic empowerment, leading to enhanced impact of the Organization on gender issues and the achievement of equality between women and men.
Core values and Guiding principles:
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to manage projects and small teams of staff and to work efficiently and effectively with a number of teams and sections
- Demonstrated ability to use and lead in the development of knowledge management strategies
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including experience and knowledge about leading academic, data, research and gender-related resources
- Strong communication skills; written and oral
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor; ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating and open, positive and enabling environment; ability to in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Strong client orientation: Ability to identify clients needs and appropriate solutions; ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships. Fosters linkages with key internal clients and with other UN agencies, research organizations and other key external stakeholders.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor tasks to achieve result.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and multi-task
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences or related fields
- A minimum of 7 years relevant experience.
- Experience using technology as a medium for capacity-building and knowledge-sharing; high level of comfort using Microsoft Office programmes, database, content management systems and interactive technologies.
- Experience in Project Management with global, regional and country developments
- Knowledge of gender equality and economic empowerment issues, 'state-of-the-art' approaches, good practices, monitoring and evaluation standards.
- Experience within the United Nations, especially knowledge of leading policy frameworks and new directions, is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another language (Arabic, French, Russian and/or Spanish) is desirable.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.