FINANCE SPECIALIST (ELECT LL)
|Application Deadline :||15-Oct-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year with possibility of extension|
UNDP supports stabilization, state building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
Years of conflict have damaged Afghanistan’s economic, political, physical, social and institutional structures. Reconstruction demands a secure environment in which there is credible leadership and enforced rule of law. Strong, legitimate and effective public administration structures, responsive to the needs of ordinary citizens - including the poor – are a precursor to any sustainable development. To this end, UNDP supports Afghan electoral institutions so that they can become more effective vehicles for development.
The UNDP/ELECT programme (2006 – present) lent technical and operational assistance to Afghan electoral bodies throughout the 2009 Presidential and provincial council elections and 2010 parliamentary elections. This included the establishment of Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) offices throughout Afghanistan’s 34 provinces.
While processes were strictly Afghan-led, Afghanistan does not yet have the capacity – particularly the financial capacity – to sustain its electoral institutions, independently. In order that progress made to date should not be “undone,” UNDP will lend financial and capacity-building support to the IEC and its provincial offices, established during the 2006 – 2010/11 project period.
Continuing long-term assistance through support to capacity building of national electoral authorities during and beyond 2011 is in accord with Security Council Resolution 1917 (2010). This assistance is closely coordinated with UNAMA, UNDPKO and EAD.
Specifically, and as a means to contribute to its goal (Output 3) long-term capacity development, post-ELECT programming should:
- Build on the achievements made, to date, in establishing an efficient, Afghan-led Independent Electoral Authority;
- Support the IEC in the transition from internationally-supported institution to self-sustaining institution; and
- Provide technical and operational capacity-building assistance, with a view to sustain and transfer knowledge to Afghans.
The Finance Specialist (P4) will be part of a team of PMU advisors providing electoral support to the IEC and other partners under the supervision and guidance of the Operations Manager. Her/his primary task will be to lead the project Finance team to facilitate proper capacity development and skills transfer to IEC colleagues and counterparts to assure that IEC is able to carry out Finance planning, operations, and management activities that are consistent with international standards. Furthermore, the Finance Specialist (P4) will manage all project finance staff and activities to assure compliance with UNDP Finance rules and policy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the PMU Operations Manager, the Finance Specialist is responsible for ensuring the highest efficiency in financial resources management and the provision of accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, effective delivery of financial services, transparent utilization of financial resources and management of the UNDP Electioral Support efforts. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues. The Finance Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Specialist supervises and leads National and International staff of the Finance Unit. The Finance Specialist works in close collaboration with the UNDP electoral support Management/IEC/UNDP CO Management/UNDP HQ staff and Government officials ensuring successful performance in Finance.
Summary of key functions:
- Effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight;
- Advises on implementation of operational strategies and procedures;
- Advises on Projects’ budgets management;
- Control of accounts related to UNDP electoral support;
- Control of cash management related to UNDP electoral support;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing focused on the IEC.
Advises effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources managed by UNDP electoral support operations and provision of high-quality professional advice to the electoral support management;
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources including various donor contributions in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organization and oversight of electoral support cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, CO Finance/bank relationship management, timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Advise on implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system;
- Electoral support Finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal standard operating procedures in the Finance Unit; control of the workflows in the Finance Unit;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects;
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contribution within the Project resource mobilization efforts;
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Manage budget of election support activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of all financial resources through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Preparation and monitoring of project budgets in Atlas;
- Regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation of the Project;
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management;
- Ensuring that advance payments and direct payments for Field Offices and IEC are properly reviewed and made on a timely basis, as well as ensuring that payment information is properly recorded into the Atlas system on a timely basis;
- Ensuring that cost-sharing contributions are properly transferred to UNDP on a timely basis;
- Submission of financial reports to donors on a timely and quality basis.
Ensure proper control of election support accounts, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Design proper internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; monthly payment orders (MPOs), travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Manager level 2 for transactions approval;
- Control of accounts closure;
- Approval of vendors;
- Ensure that timely corrective actions are taken on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
Ensure proper electoral support cash management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application;
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions;
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments;
- Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking system;
- Approval and submission of monthly UN exchange rate reports to HQ Treasury;
- Timely and accurate approval of bank reconciliation, including documented review of exceptions;
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement;
- Performing paycycle manager role in Atlas;
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by the Operations Manager. Liaison with other UN agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and sharing in the IEC and UNDP electoral support operation focusing on achievement of the following results:
Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Advising the IEC in developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) pertaining to Budget Management, Operational Advances, Disbursement Management and Financial Reporting; and implementation of the SOPs ;
- Assist the IEC in the design, planning and Implementation of capacity building in Project Financial Management, oversight and compliances.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Good knowledge of accounting;
- Ability to successfully lead the Finance Team;
- Excellent IT skills, knowledge of Atlas;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
UNDP Accounting and Finance Training and certification would be an advantage.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test required.
- Experience: 7 years of relevant experience in providing financial management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in the UN language of the duty station (English); knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto is desirable.
- Interested and qualified international candidates should apply on-line through the UNDP Jobs site at http://www.undp.org.af/Jobs/index.htm and please ensure that to fill up and upload Personal History Form-P.11 which is available at http://www.undp.org.af/Jobs/index.htm in the relevant field of the on-line application in the relevant field of the on-line application in the relevant field of the on-line application in the relevant field of the on-line application and please ensure that to fill up and upload Personal History Form-P.11 which is available at in the relevant field of the on-line application
- Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date (08 July 2010) will not be given consideration. Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
- For more detailed information about UNDP Afghanistan please visit our website at www.undp.org.af
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
- Successful candidates must be prepared to start work within 3 weeks of the offer of appointment.
- Internal candidates who have served a minimum of 12 months in the current assignment are invited to apply.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.