CONSULTANT TO PROVIDE TRAINING ON USING TOOLS FOR PROTECTED AREAS PLANNING
|Application Deadline :||20-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 working days|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||September - October 2012|
Strengthening the sustainability of the protected area system of Montenegro emerged as a major systematic effort to assist in capacity development of institutions and individuals mandated with protected, conservation and management of protected areas. The main objectives of this project are to expand and rationalize the protected area system in order to ensure better habitat representation and more secure conservation status as well as to strengthen the capacity of protected area institutions to more effectively manage a representative system of protected areas.
Under the project “Catalyzing financial sustainability of protected areas in Montenegro’’ UNDP will assist in capacity development of institutions and individuals mandated with protection, conservation and management of protected areas. This project will improve the financial sustainability of PA system in MNE through enabling legal and policy environment for improvement of financial sustainability, securing revenue streams for PA, and development of institutional and individual capacities of PA institutions to raise PA management cost-effectiveness, while the project Sustainability of the Protected Area System of Montenegro will strengthen capacities of the protected area institutions to design, plan and manage a more representative system of PA through expanding and rationalizing PA system to ensure better habitat representation and more secure conservation status, and through strengthening capacities of PA institutions to effectively manage a more representative PA system.
The goal of the projects is to have an ecologically representative scientifically-based Protected Area System (PAS), that adequately conserves representative samples of the country’s marine, freshwater and terrestrial biodiversity. Although government support for conservation within and outside protected areas exists, there is increasing pressure to find innovative and sustainable solutions for promoting management and financing conservation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment: The objective of the assignment is to provide training and guidance on using software tools for protected areas planning. The main focus, inevitably, will be usage of GIS tools specifically focused on protected area planning. The main objective of this assignment is to provide insight and training for personnel participating in process of management plans preparation for Regional Parks Komovi and Piva (core team and wider working group) which tools could and should be used during this process. Special emphasis will be given to usage of GIS in PA management planning processes.
Job content: Under the guidance of the UNDP Project Manager for Protected Area Systems, the international consultant will conduct the following main activities:
- Analyze which good practices would be applicable for Montenegro context and prepare a presentation and any relevant background materials on using software tools in planning and management of protected areas, including practical examples, under the guidance of the Protected areas system development specialist;
- Participate as a resource person in a two time two-day trainings;
- Deliver a lecture on experience in using GIS as tool for protected area planning and management with practical examples of application in the EU and the SEE region;
- Provide direct follow up advice to the GIS technicians of the team in relation to practical issues identified;
- Deliver a short report on the training and recommendations for the work of the team in the process of setting up the Piva and Komovi regional parks.
The expected results, deliverables and timelines:
- Prepare a presentation and any relevant background materials - First half of September 2012
- Organize and conduct planed trainings - First half of September 2012
- Conduct a preliminary stakeholder analysis involving the core team members and based on their information about the stakeholders in the two project regions - Second half of September 2012
- Provide report on the training and recommendations - First half of October 2012
Time duration and travel: The assignment will be carried out within maximum of 12 working days by the end of October 2012. 5 working days should be spent in Montenegro.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate people in a complex political environment and achieve set goals under time pressure;
- Initiative and strong team-building, communication and negotiation skills;
- Ability to analyze and generalize;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Excellent communications and writing skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Environmental science, protected areas management and planning, or related field; Advanced degree in the relevant field will be an advantage.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience;
- Proven relevant experience in development and implementation of similar activities;
- Relevant working experience in WB region would be considered an asset;
- Familiarity with national policy priorities in the area of Environment, economic development and public finance management; • Familiar with nature protection related issues in the national context;
- Fluency in English; knowledge of local language will be considered as an asset.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications to UNDP Office in Podgorica by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
by August 20, 2012.
The application should contain:
The short-listed candidates only will be requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work and travel envisaged in the section "Duties and Responsibilities".
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.