EXPERT IN DEVELOPMENT STUDIES AND REPORT EDITING FOR THE DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH CENTER (DRC) AT THE OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY GENERAL FOR THE SUPREME COUNCIL FOR PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT (GS-SCPD)
|Application Deadline :||23-Aug-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Efficient and effective utilization of human resources is a prime pillar of development plan in Kuwait. The Government of Kuwait is keen to activate the planning function state-wide in order to ensure the optimal utilization of resources to support social and economic progress. As the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Planning and Development is the leading agency responsible for formulating the strategic and developmental plans for the state. UNDP is supporting the GS-SCPD to develop its capacity to improve the quality of its outputs and outcomes. In coordination with GS-SCPD, UNDP strives to enhance institutional efficiency in the Supreme Council for Planning and Development especially in improving performance and coping with best practices with lessons learned from international experiences and organizations. GS-SCPD looks to contract an expert with expertise in international relations in relevant disciplines of development at large to assist the staff at the technical office of the GS-SCPD in the conducting special issue research and produce white papers and briefs on selected topics such as gender issues.
- to contribute to the objectives of GS-SCPD pertaining to raising the efficiency of the research team.
- to conduct On-Job Training (OJT) of relevant staff to improve research productivity and relevance
- to explore new work mechanisms that would enhance high quality completion of research tasks.
- to utilize best practices and lessons learned from international development agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Consultant will be working with top management of the GS-SCPD and hence must be able to comprehend the full functions and work systems of the beneficiary. He/she is required to:
- Execute the SG instructions and requests with the highest standards of quality and efficiency. In doing so, the expert is expected to liaise with the rest of the beneficiary’s staff and relevant departments (in and outside the GS-SCPD) to ensure timely, accurate and professional delivery of required products.
- Be an advocate for best practices to achieve best results.
- Conduct On-Job Training (OJT) for the beneficiary’s staff with the aim of raising skills and proficiencies adequate to fulfill the required standards of delivery with quality and distinction of research conducted at the beneficiary's.
- Follow up on all beneficiary’s documents and manage all relevant functions to ensure that said documents are adequately representatives to best practices.
- Edit and translate reports in Arabic and English per the beneficiary's request
- Monthly progress report approved by the beneficiary.
- Briefs and analysis on best practices in conducting research on relevant topics upon the request of the beneficiary.
- Quarterly report on the progress made on the on OJT.
- Final report with recommendations for future actions.
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice and work system improvements
- Awareness of the need for development and operational effectiveness
- In depth knowledge and strong track record of using internationally oriented programs and instruments
- Excellent understanding of the rules governing program management and implementation modalities as set by the beneficiary. This attribute is a plus.
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects,
- Strong communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- College degree in relevant discipline of social studies.
- Professional experience no less than 10 years in the field.
- Significant experience in special issue research, NGO's and gender studies
- Professionally linguistic skills and abilities (Arabic/English).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.