|Application Deadline :||22-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-10|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 Year|
|During the past two years, UNDP Somalia based in Nairobi has been working hard on the Change Management Business Processes, aiming at increasing its presence and operations in the field offices based in Somalia, which will allow the CO to be more efficient, flexible and responsive to the country/government priorities. In addition, the increased presence in the field offices will contribute to enhancing and building national staff capacities through delegation of authority.
Over the past years the overall numbers of civil works and rehabilitation assignments has increased dramatically, not only in volume and scope, but also into more complex site areas in Somalia. Based on this background, UNDP Somalia is enhancing in-house capacity to tackle the projected civil works in 2012 and wishes to recruit an Area Engineering Specialist, who will provide engineering support to the Chief Engineer for ensuring the implementation of timely and high quality civil works and rehabilitation projects in all regions of Somalia.
The Engineering Specialist will provide technical assistance and advisory support services, including the review of existing documentation related to civil works, evaluate associated risks, assess the compliancy with construction codes and local laws related to the civil works and construction, produce, revise technical drawings, prepare, revise Bill of Quantities (BoQ) and Cost estimates and other available documentation.
The Engineering Specialist will be supervised in the field by the Chief Engineer, but remain under the overall supervision of the Procurement Specialist, who maintains overall responsibility for the Procurement & Contracting Unit. The incumbent works proactively with the team of regional engineers in Somalia and with other partner Agencies consistent with rules and a client-oriented approach.. The Engineering Specialist will work in closely with the technical officers in charge, monitor and supervise the contract management processes in the Sub offices and advise management on best practices to take corrective measures when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of civil works activities
- Management of civil works procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategies
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides analytical inputs to implementation of civil works activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information for preparation of civil works activities for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation.
- Apply standard engineering practices and precedents in the construction, maintenance, repair and liquidation of structures and facilities;
- Apply commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the construction or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, field defenses, and other related structures and activities in the field;
- Conduct preliminary site-investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection;
- Assist in developing technical data regarding materials, size dimensions, quantities and costs to be incorporated into formal specifications;
- Estimate cost of repairs to damaged buildings, facilities and systems in order to determine whether repairs or replacement are feasible;
- Liaise with Chief Engineer and Project Counterparts responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems through exchange and comparison of data;
- Conduct investigations to develop improved construction techniques;
- Produce cost estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned field missions;
- Analyze project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources; Ensures continuous assurance of quality and quality control during the civil works construction process and independently verifies that all works are executed according to contract specifications and requirements.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports containing brief description of actual versus planned progress; problems encountered and resolutions; comments on the quality of work and contractor performance. The reports shall include physical progress of initial rehabilitation and construction works and data regarding the current financial status of the contract including a comparison of the contract amount and the estimated total cost of completion based on an up-to-date appraisal of actual versus estimated quantities and unit prices as amended
Ensures efficient management and implementation of civil works procurement processes:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control,
- Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement for civil works in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation, evaluating the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality assurance.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and management of the rosters of prequalified suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization of training for the operations/projects staff on civil works procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in civil works procurement.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Capacity building for Somali Ministry of Public Works Engineers when required.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall execution of civil works projects and success in implementation of programme delivery. Accurate analysis, preparation, monitoring and evaluation and duly organized civil works processes ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP works projects.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
- First level university degree in civil engineering with 7 years of experience may be considered in lieu of master degree.
- 5 years Civil Engineering working experience with advanced university degree including preparation of design, framing BoQ and site supervision.
- 7 years Civil Engineering working experience with first level university degree including preparation of design, framing BoQ and site supervision.
- Knowledge and experience of project management.
- Excellent knowledge of AutoCAD, Chief Architect, Excel and Word.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work throughout Somalia, including in remote locations.
- Ability to draft clear and concise reports.
- Strong written and spoken English skills.
- Knowledge of Somali an advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.