INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A 3-YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN FOR THE NATIONAL GENDER POLICY IN THE MINISTRY OF GENDER, CHILD AND SOCIAL WELFARE, REPUBLIC OF SOUTH SUDAN
||Juba, SOUTH SUDAN
|Application Deadline :||20-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||30 days|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||30 days|
Practice area Women Empowerment Gender Equality
Type of Contract Individual Contractor
Post Type and Level International Consultant
Duty Station Juba South Sudan
Interested consultants Can apply online or should email expressions of interest (including CVs) and Financial Proposal to Jane oteba at email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org all expressions of interest should quote “STRATEGIC PLAN” for the MOGC&SW on the Email subject.
Kindly provide your Financial Proposal, lump sum all inclusive taking into consideration your consultancy fees, travel costs, accommodation, communications, insurance and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services under the Individual Contracts
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR):
International consultant for the development of a 3-year Strategic Plan for the National Gender Policy in the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare, Republic of South Sudan
The Ministry of Gender, Child and Social (MGC&SW) is mandated to spearhead the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and to ensure the mainstreaming of gender in all government policies and programmes. With the support of the Multi-Donor Trust Fund South Sudan (MDTF-SS), the Ministry recently conducted a Comprehensive Country Gender Assessment (CGA) which assessed the socio-economic, political and legal context of South Sudan with regard to gender equality and the status of women. With the support of other partners, a number of other studies and assessment have also been conducted, including the assessment on the status of implementation of the UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on women, peace and security, a survey on Gender-based Violence (GBV) prevalence and protection measures. The two most fundamental recommendations identified by the CGA and other studies as foundational to effectively guide gender equality interventions in South Sudan include: the need to have clear policy guidelines for the MCGSW and the need to develop a strategic plan for the Directorate of Gender, the key directorate charged with implementation of gender equality mandate in South Sudan.
As part of strengthening the policy framework for the Ministry, the World Bank (WB), UN WOMEN, the Joint Donor Team (JDT) Partnership and Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA), are supporting the Ministry to develop a national gender policy taking into account new emerging evidence from recent studies mentioned above. This revised draft gender policy will also provide a basis for an informed and prioritized strategic plan.
The MGC&SW with support from UN Women, WB, JDT, and NPA is now developing a strategic plan for the National Gender Policy to guide planning and programming activities during the period 2012-2015. UN WOMEN will take the lead and provide the services of the lead international consultant and team leader and two national consultants to support this process.
A 3-year strategic plan for the National Gender Policy to guide planning and programming activities during the period 2012-2015 period.
Duties and Responsibilities
In close consultation with the Director General and staff of the Directorate of Gender in the MGC &SW, and working with the two national consultants on the basis of division of labor, the team leader is expected to perform the following tasks
- Develop a work plan for the development of the Strategic Plan.
- Review and provide recommendations for the MGC &SW’s mandate, vision, mission and structure in line with the South Sudan Development Plan (SSDP), (2011-2013), as well as the prevailing social and economic development environment.
- Review relevant documentation including the SSDP, recently concluded studies and assessments, and the Draft National Gender Policy to develop a context analysis, and identify key priority areas of strategic interventions in line with the Ministry’s vision, mission, values and principles.
- Review the structure of the Directorate of Gender with a view to defining the key institutional structures, functions and management while defining the roles and functions of the staff in relation to the state-level gender machinery.
- Carry out consultations with key officials in the Ministry, including the Minister and Deputy Minister, the Undersecretary, the Director General of Gender and Child Welfare, the Director General for Finance and Administration and the Director of Planning, to identify and agree on emerging priorities as per the revised gender policy and the SSDP, 2011-2013.
- Hold consultations with stakeholder on gender equality including government line ministries, state and national assemblies; Independent Commissions, the UN Agencies, international and local NGOs, bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies, civil society organizations
- With the support of the MGC&SW and in collaboration with State Ministries of Social Welfare., facilitate 3 consultation workshops in the 3 Greater regions of South Sudan (Greater Equatoria, Greater Bahr El Ghazal, and Greater Upper Nile) to include participants from all the 10 States of South Sudan.
- With the support of the MGC&SW, facilitate a ½ day presentation to the Inter Ministerial committee to consolidate emerging trends, issues and priorities that need to be addressed or incorporated in the Gender Strategic Plan.
- Compile a 3-year Strategic Plan highlighting goals, objectives, activities, outcomes, outputs, and core assumptions/risks for each strategic direction. These will be summarized in a log-frame matrix.
- A crisp report of identified issues and priorities emerging from review of the relevant documents and consultations with key persons in the Ministry and the sectors mentioned in 5 above.
- Presentation of inception report to the stake holders.
- Succinct reports of the regional workshops highlighting emerging issues and priorities to be addressed in the strategic planning process.
- Conduct a validation workshop
- A monitoring and evaluation framework of the Strategic plan.
- Finalized Gender Strategic Plan document
- The assignment is expected to take 30 days between 3 September to 2 October 2012.
- Experience in strategic planning ,monitoring and evaluation
- Fluent in both written and spoken English, with good facilitation skills.
- Previous experience of working in South Sudan or other post-conflict setting.
- Ability to use knowledge management strategies to promote effective programmatic decision-making,Skill to engage and understand varying capabilities and/or commitments from within partnerships with government institutions, donors, civil society partners and other UN sister agencies to make sound judgments on results
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters’ degree inone of the following fields, Social Sciences, Gender/Women Studies, International development, Economics, law, human rights, peace studies or other equivalent qualifications.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the field of development with relevant experience working on gender equality and women’s empowerment policy issues.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.