CHIEF TECHNICAL ADVISOR (CTA)
|Application Deadline :||19-Aug-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||TA International|
|Post Level :||P-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||364 days|
In the framework of the upcoming 2013 Parliamentary Elections, UNDP has established the “Lebanese Electoral Assistance Program 2012-2013”, which aims at strengthen the capacity of stakeholders for the conduct of transparent and inclusive elections in Lebanon. Through a multi-component approach, the project’s intended outcomes is to provide a strengthened capacity for: (1) the management and administration of Elections (2) the supervision of election campaigns and accreditation of observers (3) the provision of voter education initiatives (4) the resolution of electoral disputes, and (5) initiatives to improve election opportunities for women.
The Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) will be delivering all aspects of the Lebanese Electoral Assistance Programme (LEAP) and will be providing support to all related components. He/She will be liaising at all times with the Project’s Board, which include representatives of all national authorities working on elections, the donor community, and UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide policy and programming advice to UN Resident Coordinator/ UNDP resident representative and all national counterparts on the design, management, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the LEAP and its related activities, with focus on:
- Identifying country needs and strategies
- Advising on the design of the programme, its objectives, subsequent activities, and managing implementation of work plans (annual and quarterly)
- Developing the operational plans for elections.
- Supervising the project’s communication strategy and publication of relevant reports
- Monitoring the project’s performance against the annual and quarterly work plans and budgets and review reports prepared by the LEAP team
- Preparing Terms of Reference (TORs) for required inputs, and oversee the recruitment/formation of the LEAP team
- Advising on the distribution of tasks among the LEAP team members based on the specific TORs and oversee the performance of all LEAP team members
- Identifying needs for capacity development to ensure adequate transfer of knowledge to public administration.
Develop and implement resource mobilization strategies, by:
- Analyzing information on potential donors, bilateral donors, and recommend a strategic approach to UNDP CO
- Organizing and participating in working meetings and briefings with the donor community to present the project
Gathering the feedback of the donor community and working on defining the strategies
Actively liaise with all elections stakeholders to effectively network with partners and seize opportunities to build alliances relevant to the LEAP mandate and agenda, including:
- Leading the coordination of the Technical Working Group on Electoral Assistance
- Liaising on a regular basis with the Project Board
- Coordinating on a daily basis with the national counterparts, especially of the MOIM and the elections supervisory commission
- Participating in all regular meetings with the donor community
- Representing UNDP in all elections related activities
- Coordinating with all national and international organizations working on elections in Lebanon
- Identifying needs for capacity development and intervention of counterparts and potential beneficiaries.
Play a strong role in research and knowledge development and management to target all beneficiaries and stakeholders, by specifically:
- Ensuring facilitation of information sharing and data gathering on elections
- Analyzing data, case evidence, and research findings to provide evidence-based material on elections
- Providing substantive inputs to all stakeholders to help shape elections policies and strategies
- Providing practical technical advice to national policy makers when requested.
- Building national institutional capacity on elections.
- Reporting to donors regularly and ensuring quality control over all reports and publications.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to develop and implement electoral reform and electoral operations strategies
- Proven experience in strategic planning, performance management, and team leadership
- In-depth knowledge of the electoral field and in particular the political and electoral structures in Lebanon
- Experience with international organizations on governance/electoral assistance projects
- Experience in fostering networks and partnerships and ability to provide coordination with among others UN agencies
- Proven ability to negotiate and to troubleshoot relationships with variety of stakeholders
- Demonstrated capacity to innovate and think creatively
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to new work environments, to establish and maintain good work relations with individuals of differing backgrounds, and to work under pressure
- Fluency in word processing, spread sheets, project management, and internet technology
Required Skills and Experience
- Graduate Degree (Masters or equivalent) in political science, law, social science, international development, public administration or related topic.
- A minimum of ten years of specialized experience in increasingly responsible positions in the international context including on democratic governance, specifically in electoral assistance. Experience with the Lebanese context is a plus.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Arabic or French proficiency is an advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.