PROGRAMME AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANT
|Application Deadline :||23-Aug-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six months (up to 110 working days)|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Six months with possible extension|
|The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Armenia in partnership with the Government of Armenia works to advance the national reform agenda and develop the capacities of respective counterparts at a national, regional and local level. To this end, UNDP is currently implementing a multi-component programme across three portfolios, namely Democratic Governance, Environmental Governance and Socio-economic Governance.
With the advent of sectoral practices, and, by extension, portfolios within country offices, challenges have arisen concerning the delivery of country programme components under a holistic conceptual framework, namely sustainable development. While portfolios and projects are more palatable for donors due to their ability to be shaped into time-bound initiatives with measurable results, their application has inadvertently encouraged a ‘silo culture’.
Within UNDP Armenia, a reform agenda is being implemented, including broad commitments under the regional Knowledge and Innovation project and the realisation of a policy advice and advocacy unit. Both initiatives are intended to reach across portfolios in order to provide the Government of Armenia and other partners with policy advice and innovative solutions to meet the increasingly complex demands of Armenian society.
Concerning individual initiatives, the Government of Armenia has made wide ranging commitments to accountability, transparency and integrity under the Open Government Partnership. In November 2011, as part of the Open Government initiative, the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Armenia initiated a joint “Guillotine” project with an ambitions vision for reform to the regulatory framework of public administration. As a partner in this initiative, UNDP Armenia is developing the capacities of the Project Implementation Unit in participatory processes, gender mainstreaming and communications.
In addition, UNDP Armenia has established a strong presence in the youth sector through its Support to the Establishment of the Youth Studies Centre project, as well as through participatory initiatives for fostering innovations in project design and implementation. There is a clear need to link the expanding youth constituency and their projects developed as part of UNDP’s social innovation camps with the high level Open Government initiatives.
In parallel with the participatory processes for open government, UNDP Armenia is supporting the active participation of women in decision making at the local level through its Women in Local Democracy project. Additional support to the implementation of this project is foreseen.
Regarding development of the UNDP Armenia programme in 2013, UNDP will leverage existing partnerships in public sector reform as well as develop new initiatives in accountability, transparency and integrity through its nascent partnership with the Global Programme on Anti-Corruption for Development Effectiveness (PACDE). In addition, as part of the ongoing association process with the European Union, the Armenian Government has launched an ambitious reform agenda within Armenia’s public institutions. It is important that UNDP Armenia fully leverages its expertise in Capacity Development in support of this reform agenda and builds synergies between its existing projects and upcoming initiatives.
In order to successfully implement the abovementioned activities/projects, the current programme and project staff are in need of expertise and technical support, in particular, in capacity development, innovation and project/programme development.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will work under the overall guidance of the UNDP RR and direct supervision of the DG Portfolio Analyst, and in close collaboration with RA national counterparts from sectoral ministries and civil society.
In particular the consultant will:
- Coordinate programme development by building synergies between UNDP’s portfolios and ensuring that all project concepts are relevant, well articulated and cogent;
- Deliver technical support for the formulation of strategies and flagship reports, including the upcoming National Human Development Report;
- Act as Capacity Development focal point for the Country Office - fostering and supporting UNDP Armenia’s capacity development initiatives with RA national counterparts;
- Act as a Knowledge Management and Innovation focal point - ensuring the effective implementation of the Country Office’s commitments under the regional Knowledge and Innovation project, as well as timely market intelligence on the EU Delegation’s agenda in the field of public sector reform;
- Lead UNDP Armenia’s support to the capacity development of the Guillotine Project Implementation Unit;
- Support the implementation of the Support to the Establishment of Youth Studies Centre project, to include capacity development and communications;
- Further position UNDP Armenia as an innovator in development design by coordinating social innovation events and embedding design thinking within the Country Office;
- Support the implementation of capacity development and communication components of the Women in Local Democracy project;
- Develop a partnership with the Global Programme on Anti-Corruption for Development Effectiveness (PACDE) for Armenia-based initiatives fostering accountability, transparency and integrity;
- Deliver UNDP Armenia’s inputs into the Government of Armenia’s wider reform agenda, including support to the EU’s Comprehensive Institution Building programme;
- Assist in drafting reports, success stories, articles and other relevant information products for UNDP’s website and communication as per UNDP request and corporate standards;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Detailed work plan for the duration of assignment drafted and approved;
- Close cooperation with the Guillotine Project Implementation Unit established and capacity development activities delivered upon request and documented;
- A comprehensive review of the Youth Studies Centre project conducted, recommendations for further development documented, and quality assurance during implementation delivered;
- Innovative methodologies for participatory project design and implementation embedded within the Country Office and implemented;
- A partnership for institutionalizing an innovation incubator/design thinking center in Armenia initiated;
- Capacity development of the Women in Local Democracy project team in communications delivered and the timely implementation of the Project’s communications strategy assured;
- Contribution to UNDP’s activities under the EU’s Comprehensive Institution Building programme delivered in a timely manner;
- Contribution to UNDP analytical reports and external communication products delivered in a timely manner.
- Proven knowledge of Capacity Development methodologies and previous experience of capacity development initiatives;
- Knowledge and experience of initiatives fostering innovation;
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organisation;
- Excellent ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism;
- bility to communicate sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Strong work ethic and commitment;
- Concise and analytical approach to tasks;
- Organized and resourceful with a proven ability to take initiative and work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to focus on a variety of tasks within a deadline-driven environment;
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of people within a multicultural environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English, knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Political Science, International Relations, Development Management or a related field;
- Training in Design and Innovation methodologies is an asset.
- Five years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing advisory services, including hands-on experience in the design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.