UN WOMEN: NATIONAL PROGRAMME ASSISTANT (INCREASING ACCOUNTABILITY IN FINANCING FOR GENDER EQUALITY PROGRAMME) – OPEN TO UKRAINIAN NATIONALS
|Application Deadline :||19-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-3|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 months, renewable|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors
UN Women is implementing the Programme I
ncreasing Accountability in Financing for Gender Equality (2012-2015) in Ukraine funded by the EU, UN and Spain. The programme aims at increasing the volume and effective use of aid and domestic resources to implement national commitments to gender equality and women's empowerment. It will be implemented in 15 countries
in close partnership with the European Commission (EC), ITC/ILO building on the results of collaboration in the area of gender responsive budgeting and aid effectiveness carried out over the past years.
The specific programme objectives are:
- To strengthen national action plans for gender equality so that they have defined targets, financing and implementation arrangements line with national planning and budgeting processes.
- To strengthen capacity and accountability of national governments to implement gender equality commitments and address women’s priorities in national planning, budgeting systems and programming.
- To strengthen capacity and accountability of donors and stakeholders in aid coordination mechanisms to achieve commitments towards gender equality in stable and fragile countries.
- Globally, the programme will also support the effective engagement of feminist economists and gender equality advocates’ in contributing to stronger policy coherence on gender equality in economic and development policy for a and facilitate learning and south-south exchange. With the overall aim to ensure effective programme implementation, UN Women plans to hire a Programme Assistant, based in Kyiv, Ukraine to support the work of the National Programme Coordinator to ensure effective overall programme implementation.
Ethiopia, Haiti, Honduras, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Nicaragua, oPt, Senegal, Ukraine, Cameroon, Tanzania, Nepal, Peru, Bolivia and Rwanda.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme Assistant will work under the direct supervision and guidance of UN Women National Programme Coordinator with the overall aim to support timely and synergetic implementation of Increasing Accountability in Financing for Gender Equality Programme in line with the Programme document, UN Women sub-regional office and UNDP operations staff to ensure adequate cooperation and synergy in implementation of the programme.
More specifically, the Programme Assistant will perform the following tasks:
Managing the programme office operations, by providing assistance to National Programme Coordinator, including the followings:
- Ensure timely and effective assistance to day-to-day programme implementation by fulfilling administrative, HR, financial and logistical tasks in conformity with expected results and programme workplans;
- Prepare and submit Payment Requests, Travel Requests and Requests for Contract to UN Women EECA SRO with complete package of supporting documents;
- Assisting the National Programme Coordinator in managing the programme's financial advances;
- Maintain accurate financial records as required by UN Women;
- Preparing and modifying programme budgets, implementing control mechanism for budget monitoring, preparing annual and monthly expenditure plans for submission to UN Women EECA SRO;
- Assisting in systematizing all correspondence related to operations matters;
- Maintaining accurate personnel records of the programme as required by UN Women;
- Preparing procurement contracts for goods and services
- Updating and maintaining inventory system on the regular basis;
- Maintaining project equipment and servicing as well as its records;
- Ensure the maintenance of a filing system, reports or other documentation related to the administrative matters of the programme in hard and electronic formats;
- Providing logistics support to programme needs;
- Managing office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Compiling and submitting monthly mission and leave plans to the UN Women EECA SRO;
- Organizing missions and administrative support to subcontracted programme activities;
- Arranging travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- Supporting conferences, workshops, retreats, meetings, etc.;
- Maintaining filing system ensuring safekeeping of programme documents, including programme mailing correspondence, thus contributing to the implementation of the knowledge management policy of UN Women;
- Providing efficient general receptionist and information services;
- Drafting and translation of correspondence, when needed;
- Complying administrative and operations activities with UN/UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Providing other support as required by the programme management
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standard;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP/UN Women;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Proven ability to problem-solve and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment;
- Proven ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in development related field.
- Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible administrative and finance experience is required at the national or international level;
- Proven record of good relationships and experience of collaborative activities with the national partners.
- Fluency in Ukrainian, English and Russian.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.