PLANNING, MONITORING & EVALUATION (PME) SPECIALIST
|Application Deadline :||29-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||12 months|
Under the guidance and supervision of the DCDP, the PME Specialist ensures the effective implementation of the PME policy, strategy and procedures, sets minimum M & E requirements for the Country Programme and projects, and initiates thematic and crosscutting reviews and evaluations.
The PME Specialist will liaise closely with the Evaluation Office at Headquarters regarding PME approaches and methodologies, ensuring that UNDP meets the minimum requirements for monitoring and evaluation.
The PME Specialist works in close collaboration with Programme and Operations Teams in the CO. UNDP Evaluation Office staff at regional and HQ levels, Government officials, and the members of the UN M & E Reference Group, to ensure that thematic, programme and project M & E activities are carried out according to schedules and that findings and recommendations are implemented and followed up.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures the implementation of PME policies, strategies and procedures focusing on achievements on the following results:
- Contributes to the establishment of the PME system, and database and takes a lead in implementing it across the CPAP.
- Identifies information requirements of programme components concerning PME
- Prepares CPAP integrated PME plans.
- Ensures that periodic programmes and UNDAF reviews are carried out in line with UNDP’s established policies and procedures.
- Analysis and evaluates data to ensure achievement of expected results and recommends corrective actions when necessary.
- Provides technical assistance to programme staff. Ops and other stakeholders on planning and management of integrated PME.
- Prepares annual MYFF reviews for the management’s reviews and approval.
- Ensures effective management of the PME process in the Country Office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures that the established UNDP guidelines on project/programme M & E for different project components are respected.
- Regularly reviews performance indicators and reports produced by different programme units and programme partners, and suggests any changes if necessary.
- Closely monitors and reports on the results and progress made with regard to the programme/project implementation and alerts programme staff any shortcomings which need to be addressed.
- Provide support to programme staff for the preparation of AWP are prepared, in line with the harmonized format, sufficiently and on time, ensuring a close review of indicators and MOVs in the M & E framework, as well as the resource requirements from CPAP.
- Sets up operational arrangements for collecting, analyzing and reporting project data, and for investing in capacity building, to sustain and improve the M & E function of the CO.
- Assists programme staff in the introduction of new and innovative approaches and methods in project PME.
- Maintains and updates a database of development indicators, their values, and sources of data.
- Prepares the programme status reports for management, donors, programme reviews, etc.
- Actively participates in intersectoral collaboration with operations and programme colleagues in tracking program financial inputs and outputs.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achievements of the following results:
- Identification and formulation of PME findings, lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated onto the country office’s broader knowledge management efforts.
- Collaboration and coordination with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGO’s and other organizations on monitoring and evaluations issues
- Identifies training needs for PME.
- Organization and conduct of results-oriented monitoring and evaluation training in the Country Office and to IPs if necessary.
- Participation in evaluation community remaining abreast of latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies.
- Assists in improving communication and information sharing on PME with CO.
- Collaborates with the Communications and Advocacy Analyst and programme staff as appropriate in the selection and dissemination of statistical results.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promoted Knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to organize and manage results-oriented strategic and thematic PME activities. Substantive knowledge and understanding of PME in particular.
- Excellent knowledge of current development issues particularly those pertinent to UNDD’s Practice Areas. Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data.
- Good technical skills in measurement and evaluation, including grasp of methodologies and operational dimensions and the ability to link corporate and country level issues.
- Ability do successfully lead multidisciplinary experts and to coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change.
- Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit was well as M & E methods and methodologies.
- Strong analytical skills in the area of PME.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationship with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Displays strong skills for information and ideas/knowledge sharing.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to changes and ability to manage complexities.
- Works effectively in teams and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, economics or related social sciences.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in international development issues, both in the field and HQ. Experience in monitoring and evaluation with a background and interest in the analysis of socio-economic issues and related policy matters. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems. postgraduate, progressively responsible experience in development programming and monitoring and evaluation Experience with the UN is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in English and Portuguese (oral and written)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.