INFORMATION MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
|Application Deadline :||22-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year, renewable|
|Under the direct supervision of the Head of Information Management Unit with overall direction of the Head of OCHA and working as an integral part of the organization’s Team, the incumbent will be ensuring maximum professionalism and adding capacity in supporting the mandate of OCHA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop appropriate and relevant networks and working relationships with the UN agencies, NGOs, government institutions and local authorities:
- Develop relationships, and provide ongoing liaison, with local partners to ensure information flows are established and maintained; develop information exchange partnerships and build capacity of local partners in the collection of data according to standardized practices;
- Help maintaining comprehensive operational information products, including contact details, 3W, meeting schedules among others;
- Promote and explain the use of core information products;
Support the development and production of maps and related mapping documents to effectively support coordination, planning and advocacy role in Yemen:
- Assist in designing and preparing maps for publication and for contingency planning and response to rapid onset emergencies, response plans and to provide mapping and mapping analysis to support cluster coordination and humanitarian decision-making.
Prepare and distribute spatial data in maps, reports and documents in various formats as required:
- Compile, update, store, analyze, distribute and map needs and response information on a regular basis or as needed to cluster coordination, humanitarian working groups, humanitarian County Team (HCT), Sector Outcome Team (SOTs), Humanitarian Coordinator (HC), and Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) field offices.
- Create maps for Response Plans, Who does What and Where (3W), Yemen Humanitarian Action Plan (IHAP), Common Country Assessment (CCA), United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), Governorate profile maps, Vulnerability Analysis Mapping (VAM), sector and Millennium Development Goals (MDG) indicator maps, etc.
Ensure that geographic data is available in a compatible format for data sharing with partner agencies and organizations; Liaise with local and international partners on spatial data issues; share relevant datasets and cartographic products relevant to the activities of clusters and HCT:
- Assist in implementing the Standard Operating Procedure to create a geodatabase repository, Geographic Data Processing. (Data Review, Data Preparation, Populating the Geodatabase), creating Geodatabase Structure (Vector Geodatabase, Raster Geodatabase), Geodatabase Administration and Services (Sharing data, mapping data, use of geographic layers for Web Mapping Service).
- Assist in implementing Inter Agency Rapid Assessments in the field office providing technical advice in methodology, questionnaire design, data capture, data analysis and visualization.
- Promote data standards including P-Codes and Metadata and contribute to implementation of IMU strategy.
- Report on activities and information products developed at the field office to be integrated at Sana’a.
Create design templates and layouts for core OCHA products, reports and publications:
- Assist in the Publication Design focal point in laying out reports and publications for printing and electronic distribution;
- Assist in Implementing Guidelines for Field Map Production and Dissemination, creating templates and styles or use existing ones for different mapping purposes and scales.
- Any other duties as requested and assigned by the supervisor
- Demonstrates commitment to OCHA’s mission, vision and values
- Displays integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity
- Ability to perform a broad range of program coordination activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of coordination mechanisms and information management.
- Solid problem solving skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work with accuracy under time constrains and pressure in a stressful environment
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully and to have high sense of confidentially, initiative and good judgment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Positive and constructive attitude
- Facilitate communication with all individuals regardless of gender, national and cultural background
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment and respects diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and shares knowledge to achieve organizational objectives.
Planning and Organizing:
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required
- Ability to plan own work and use time efficiently, manage conflicting priorities and work under pressure of tight and conflicting deadlines.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity
- Excellent liaison, interpersonal and general communications skills;
- Information management skills
- Training and or capacity building skills
- Presentation skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Information Management, Computer Science, or other related field.
- A demonstrated competence in GIS, including the knowledge of current ArcGIS software is desirable.
- Minimum Six (6) years of work experience, including at least three (3) years in the field of Information Management.
- Experience designing databases, GIS, and websites.
- Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other humanitarian agency is desirable.
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset.
- Excellent command of Office suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.