CHARGÉ DE COMMUNICATION
|Application Deadline :||08-Sep-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
English French |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Resident Representative, the Communications Analyst in a medium size of large office implements the corporate communications strategy, as well as provides inputs to the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
A communications strategy tightly linked to program priorities helps position the Country Office in key development markets as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach
- Implementation of the publications strategy and plan
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system
- Support to business development
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Effective management of the Communications Office and supervision of Communications staff
Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and conduct of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc)
- Drafting/editing of CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme during programme formulations
Ensures implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan, based on the corporate publications policy. Implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan, based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Coordination and management of CO publication activities, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc.
- Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination.
Ensures the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure the design and maintenance of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Preparation of the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials.
Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and campaigns
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UNDP activities, UN Reform, results of MDGs, in association with other.
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
- Packaging and submission of programme initiatives for donor review in collaboration with programme staff and supervisor.
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, donors.
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Forging of a “one UN” image through publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programs, and common services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- Ensured access for journalists to subject matter experts.
- Drafting/production of regular newsletter to donors.
- Preparation of donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications for development
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP communications and publication strategies, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2.: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in French and English
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.