UN WOMEN: PROGRAMME MANAGER - SOMALIA
|Application Deadline :||31-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-10|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One year (Non-Renewable)|
The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnership with civil society and other relevant actors.
In order to reinforce its Office for Somalia, UN WOMEN seeks to recruit a Programme Manager to guide the development of UN WOMEN work in Somalia. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Programme Director, the Programme Manager is responsible for the day to day supervision of programme staff. S/he will work closely with national counterparts to prepare strategies and work plans for the Somalia Programme.
The Programme Manager ensures proper project documentation and prepares regular Progress Reports for the Programme Board. Where needed, s/he would provide technical assistance and coordination support to the preparation by national partners of Annual Work Plans and assist the design of implementation strategies and budgets. The Programme Manager will also work closely with the Development Partners that are providing support to the project and ensure information-sharing on essential progress issues.
The Programme Manager reports to the Deputy Regional Programme Director (DRPD), for guidance and supervision and is responsible in providing technical and program support services ensuring project delivery, high quality outputs, with accuracy and consistency of work for UN Women's program in Somalia. S/he works in close collaboration with the UN Women Regional Office, UN Women HQ units and sections. The Programme Manager also works with the UN Country Team for Somalia, as required to exchange information and support program delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Ensure strategic policy coordination and partnerships
- Undertake day to day management and coordination of the programme
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Facilitate knowledge building and management
Ensure strategic policy coordination and partnerships by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitor trends and issues affecting women in Somalia and develop strategic responses to opportunities and challenges including the formulation of projects, implementation strategies and activities in line with UNWOMEN East and Horn of Africa Regional Work plan 2012.
- Participate in and represent UN Women in various UN coordination mechanisms and activities as related to the sectors covered. Ensure coordination and harmonization of projects covered within the global and sub-regional strategic plan and those within the UNDAF framework,
- Maintain relationships with UN Women's external partners including donors, government agencies and NGOs and represent UN Women in meetings as deemed appropriate,
- Provide leadership and quality oversight of efforts to strengthen Government's institutions, especially the Ministry of Gender, to effectively implement national development strategies.
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing at the country and regional level focusing on achievements, lessons learned and methodologies utilized in project implementation. Participate in the training sessions of knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Build strong partnership with donors agencies and other development partners based in Somalia to ensure synergy or efforts in line with the Paris declaration Principles
Undertake day to day management and coordination of the programme by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide technical and management support to project/programme activities in the following assigned sectors: Mainstreaming gender in governance and economic management, capacity development for government and women's organizations, women's participation in peace and recovery processes and support to women's and human rights NGOs for promotion and protection of women's rights in Somalia. A particular focus will be on UN Women’s support to humanitarian work and ending violence against women and girls.
- Prepare background project documents and briefs within the context of UN Women's work in Somalia and provide technical leadership in implementation on the above sectors.
- Prepare periodic internal reports, donor reports and contribute to UN Women's annual reports in consultation with relevant programme officers. Ensure that reports are in accordance with specific requirements of donors and or UN Women.
- Monitor and evaluate ongoing programmes/projects for delivery and impact; Assess implementation ,analyze work plan, prepare progress reports, draft summary reports, participate in tripartite meetings, recommend actions and solutions, analyze objectives and results, distill and write lessons learned.
- Provide close guidance and direction to ensure strategic focus, result orientation and effectiveness and efficiency in all aspects of UN Women's operations and programmes.
- Support the Deputy Regional Programme Director in resource mobilization and reporting for donors. Identify and follow up on opportunities for resource mobilization for UN Women's work in Somalia in consultations with Deputy Regional Programme Director.
Implementation of operational strategies by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure effective management of resources for achieving results,
- Prepare annual budgets and work plans for approval by the Deputy Regional Programme Director,
- Review budgets and work plans, and bring any proposed changes to the attention of Deputy Regional Programme Director.
- Prepare project budget revisions to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of inputs and realization of targeted expenditures.
- Ensure delivery of program resources in line with UN Women’s regulations and procedures to track project budgets and expenditures.
- Identify human resource needs, in line with the requirements of the program. Take appropriate action for recruitment of staff, in line with UN Women’s regulations,
- Provide the strategic guidance and development to staff members.
Facilitate knowledge building and management by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the knowledge management and communications strategies on donor reporting, accountability and resource mobilization.
- Identify and document best practices and lessons learn and ensure internal dissemination.
- Ensure adequate knowledge sharing through the UN Women website & intranet.
- Participate in internal corporate programme and policy development including, task forces/working groups, Programme Appraisal Committee and any others as requested.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNDAF/ CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrating and safeguard Ethics and Integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring: Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
- Working in Teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating Information and Ideas: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Gender analysis and mainstreaming in programming and implementation, knowledge of legal and policy framework on women's rights/roles and analytical skills particularly in post-conflict and peace building environments
- Substantive knowledge and experience related to current policies and practices in the fields of women's rights, gender equality programming, and mainstreaming gender in governance, economic management and capacity development nexus.
- Proven experience in implementing gender responsive programmes for women's empowerment and rights along with gender equality programming in developing countries, including in-depth knowledge of regional organizations and women's organizations working on gender, governance and human rights.
- Knowledge of UN policies and procedures
- Experience with supervising staff
- Strong communication skills, with proven expertise in writing cogent and convincing policy and programme documents for development practitioners
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in Political Science, International Development Studies, Gender/Women's Studies, Economics or Sociology.
- At least 5 years of work experience in any of the following fields: women's rights and gender equality programming in developing countries with specialized experience in Gender and Development and Program Management
- International experience in managing an organization in the relevant field is an advantage
- Working experience with UN joint programming frameworks and result-based management systems is desirable
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Somali an asset
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.