TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE- PROGRAMME & MONITORING EXPERT (BASED IN THE FOREST DEPT.) - (ONLY FOR SRI LANKAN NATIONALS)
||Multi-Duty Station, SRI LANKA
|Application Deadline :||07-Sep-12|
|Additional Category||Environment and Energy|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six Months (06) - (With Possible extension)|
Despite having achieved remarkable progress in social development, Sri Lanka is still facing numerous challenges related to alleviation of poverty. Community Forestry approach has been identified as one of the best models in the world for sustainable management of forest resources and livelihood improvement of the local communities. The community forest management approach recognizes that economic alternatives are necessary if communities are to stop unsustainable exploitation of forest resources. Furthermore, the approach recognizes that the communities are themselves in the best position to protect the forest from illegal or unsustainable practices.
In late 2008 the Forest Department prepared a Strategy for Community Forest Management in Sri Lanka. To achieve the objectives of the Strategy, Forest Department has implemented a programme with the support from Government of Australia and this project is the second phase of the initiative.
This post will assist to build the capacity within the Forest Department to implement and monitor the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the develop of a project operational structures under National Implementation Modality (NIM):
- Facilitate and ensure timely advance processing through the Treasury Operations for implementation of the project
- Support establishment of a record keeping systems for the project in line with the best practices identified by Forest Department and UNDP
- Support establishment and maintenance of a financial monitoring and reporting in line with the UNDP and Government procedures
- Support the government and UNDP auditing processes
- Assist procurement and human resources recruitment process in line with the government rules and regulations
- Support arrangements of travel and other logistics relevant for official missions of the project
- Any other technical assistance on administrative / finance operations related needs decided by the Project Board
Support the Forest Department to develop and implement progress monitoring mechanisms for the project: Support the relevant officials in Forest Department to -
- Supervise the data quality and provide periodic inputs to databases necessary for physical and financial progress monitoring
- Ensure gender concerns are adequately reflected in indicators and other monitoring guidelines
- Assist the Evaluation Expert to conduct mid-term and final evaluations as per the Project Evaluation Plan
- Arrange training relevant government officials on participatory monitoring techniques
- Support the development of case studies and other knowledge products on participatory monitoring techniques that can be used as training aids
Support the Forest Department to implement the Operational Structures and Monitoring systems:
Support the relevant officials in Forest Department to -
- Participate in progress review meetings and monitoring missions regularly
- Develop monthly progress review reports as per the Forest Department, Treasury and UNDP formats
- Follow up on the Project Board decisions on day to day basis
- Support the Programme Officer to report the progress to donors
- Update the project website regularly
- Ensure ATLAS- enterprise resource package of UNDP- related functions of the project are performed accurately and timely.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, and general administration
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Champions change management in dynamic situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. University Degree desirable.
- Minimum of five years (05) of work experience including relevant experience in the field level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages; database management; maintenance of web sites; project monitoring and reporting.
- Client orientation and focus on impacts and results is a key requirement.
- Fluency in English together with knowledge of Tamil and/or Sinhala.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.