INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT FOR THE THIRD NATIONAL COMMUNICATION OF ALBANIA TO THE UNITED NATIONS FRAMEWORK CONVENTION ON CLIMATE CHANGE
||Home-based with mission to Tirana, ALBANIA
|Application Deadline :||14-Sep-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||20 working days (within period September - December)|
This Enabling Activity project will assist Albania to prepare the Third National Communication (TNC) to the UNFCCC. The Major objectives are to update the annual Albanian Inventory of Anthropogenic GHGs to the period 2000-2005, focusing on the sectors/gases that have a significant share of GHG emissions such as the transport sector; downscaled global models will be developed to regionalize climatic forecasts and apply these new forecasts in V&A assessments that are focused on the entire coastal region. Albania’s description of national circumstances will be updated, as well as the steps to be taken or envisaged to implement the Convention. Finally, the project will continue to build institutional capacity for implementing the Convention in Albania including undertaking activities related to climate change education and awareness.
The project will start with the Inception phase, by the end of which the following are to be achieved:
- the UNDP Climate Change Programme (UNDP CCP) manage to understand and take ownership of the project’s goals and objectives;
- the project's first annual workplan on the basis of the project's logframe matrix is finalized;
- the measurable performance indicators are précised and in a manner consistent with the expected outcomes of the project;
- the UNDP CCP is introduced with the UNDP-GEF expanded team which will support the project during its implementation, namely the CO and, as applicable, the UNDP/GEF staff;
- a detailed overview of UNDP-GEF reporting and M&E requirements is provided;
- the UNDP CCP is informed on UNDP project related budgetary planning, budget reviews and mandatory budget rephrasing;
- all parties understand their roles, functions, and responsibilities within the project's decision-making structure, including reporting and communication lines, and conflict resolution mechanisms;
- the Terms of Reference of the project staff (and decision-making structure) are reviewed and, as needed, revised in order to clarify for all each parties the responsibilities during the project's implementation phase.
- the Project Inception Workshop is organized as a crucial step to building ownership for the project results and to plan the first year annual work plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the assignment:
To provide technical support to the UNDP CCP Team Leader/Projects Coordinator to go through and finalize the Inception phase of the Project, an International Consultant (IC) will be recruited. In essence, the responsibility of the IC is to ensure that the overall technical direction of the project in this phase is maintained and flexibly adapted to meet the practical challenges faced during implementation.
The IC will work closely with the UNDP CCP Team Leader/Projects Coordinator, under the overall supervision and guidance by the UNDP CO environment programme, and the UNDP-GEF (HQs). Specifically his/her tasks include but are not limited to:
Main task of the assignment:
- Get familiar with the project document including objectives, outcomes, outputs and activities including project work plan and monitoring and evaluation plan;
- Get familiar with the development programs and projects, and relevant policies that are under way with regards to the climate change issues in Albania;
- Update accordingly the Project Document to report on changes in the project environment since the project was submitted;
- Support the UNDP CCP Team Leader in organizing the implementation of the different sub-components of the project at the inception phase, including support to the UNDP in the preparation of the Project Inception Workshop;
- Drafting of the Annual Work Plan divided in quarterly time-frames detailing the activities and progress indicators that will guide implementation during the first year of the project. This Work Plan should include the dates of specific field visits, support missions from the UNDP-CO, or the Regional Coordinating Unit (RCU) or consultants, as well as timeframes for meetings of the project's decision making structures. The Report will also include the detailed project budget for the first full year of implementation, prepared on the basis of the Annual Work Plan, and including any monitoring and evaluation requirements to effectively measure project performance during the targeted 12 months time-frame;
- Drafting of Terms of Reference for the national and, as needed, additional international experts and subcontractors, etc., to provide specific consultancy services at least during the first year of the project;
- Support the CCP Team Leader in arranging co-operation with the current project partners and, as applicable, in establishing new, additional national and/or international partnerships to support the project goals and objectives;
- Provide advice on the required institutional, legal and regulatory changes to support the reaching of the stated outcomes of the project and provide other required advice on the successful implementation of the specific project subcomponents and activities by drawing from the international lessons learnt and best practices;
- Assist with the organization of the Project Inception Workshop;
- Drafting of the Project Inception Report.
Timeline and implementation arrangements
The total duration of assignment will be up to 20 working days in the period September - December 2012. The assignment will involve desk study and at least one mission (5 days) to Albania. Throughout the assignment the consultant will work in close collaboration with UNDP Climate Change Programme.
- Updated project document (4 Working days);
- Draft Annual Work Plan (4 Working days);
- ToRs for the major consultancies to be undertaken during the first year of the project (4 Working days);
- Draft Project Inception Report (4 Working days);
- Proposal on legal and institutional changes (4 Working days).
- Demonstrated experience and success in supporting the preparation of the national communications (or its subcomponents) in other GEF programme countries, experience in the region is desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of the international negotiation process on climate change and recent developments and COP/MOP decisions involving the non Annex 1 countries;
- Excellent analytical skills and effective communication and training skills and competence in handling external relations at all levels;
- Ability to work in a team and to motivate other team members and counterparts;
- Familiarity with the specific UNDP and GEF requirements is considered as an asset.
- Excellent reporting skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in environmental science
- At least 15 years of professional experience in the specific areas the project is dealing with, including the process of preparation of national communications to climate change, preparation of greenhouse gases inventories, vulnerability assessment and adaptation options, measures to mitigate climate change, technology transfer needs, climate change research and systematic observation, integration of climate change in social, economic and environmental policies, capacity building, education, training and public awareness
Individual consultants are evaluated based on the Cumulative Analysis methodology (weighted scoring method), where the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation
The applicable ratio of required technical and financial criteria will be respectively 70% and 30%
Only Individual Consultants obtaining a minimum of 70% of the obtainable points of 100 points in technical evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation. UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that would take into account both the technical qualification of Individual Consultants as well as their financial proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores. UNDP retains the right to contact references directly.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter including Financial Proposal in USD. Please paste into the “Resume and Motivation” section of the electronic application.
- Filled P11 form (blank form can be downloaded from http://www.undp.org.al/index.php?page=bus_center/vacancies; Please upload the P11 instead of your CV.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all the requested materials.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.