UN COORDINATION OFFICER
|Application Deadline :||23-Sep-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
English Spanish |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year renewable|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year renewable|
|Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the UN Coordination Officer strengthens capacity of the UN Country Team, analyzes political, social and economic trends and provides inputs to preparation of country programming products including the Common Country Assessment (CCA) and United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAFs), supports the national strategies setting, provides assistance to development and implementation of the collaborative and joint programmes and monitors progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Global Conferences, provides support to agencies without field representation to access national systems and for national counterparts to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
The UN Coordination Officer supervises and leads the UN Coordination Unit support staff. The UN Coordination Officer works in close collaboration with UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the Agencies, UNDGO staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective support to UNCT in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products, including CCA and UNDAF and UN programmes coordination focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country including support for establishing Dev-Info in coordination with relevant national counterparts.
- Participation in the work of the CCA Thematic Group activities and preparation of inputs to CCA.
- Participation in the work of the UNDAF Working Groups and preparation of inputs to UNDAF.
- Participation in the work of theme groups organized around the UNDAF outcomes, including support for monitoring and evaluation within the context of the UNDAF Results Matrix, the UNDAF M&A Plan.
- Monitoring of all Joint/Collaborative programmes/initiatives of the UNCT and provision of periodic reports as necessary.
Identification of strengths and weaknesses in UN Agencies programmes in the context of UNDAF, UN System reform and
- MDGs. Preparation of high quality documents summarizing the developments in the UNDAF areas of cooperation. Provision of advice on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities.
Ensures preparation and implementation of the RC Work Plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of proposals for funding and drafting of the RC Work Plan and reports.
- Technical support for UNCT Retreats to review the annual work plan and other UNCT meetings.
- Monitoring of the Support to the Resident Coordinator (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities.
- Report on the use of the funds to the UN RC and UNCT, proposal of budget revisions, approval of expenditures reports.
Ensures effective advocacy of UN activities in close consultation with UNIC and the information/ communication focal points of the UN system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the systematic information on RC system activities.
- Arrangement of regular forums and events on issues related to UN activities with media, NGOs, communities, etc.
- Support for implementation of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with UNIC.
- Collecting inputs for speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the RC system in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
- Monitoring of the UN website maintenance.
Ensures implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for UNDAF implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of reports on donors strategies.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals.
- Provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN’s priorities
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UN’s development agenda and to support advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Ehancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategy
- Collects, researches and analyzes information on resource mobilization and utilization, drafts reports and documents and maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors and donor funded projects
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of fund raising activities and resource mobilization documents ensuring needs of donors are met
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Peparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UN’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UN’s priorities and to support advocacy efforts
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Strong knowledge about the UN System and Resident Coordinator procedures and operational activities for development.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based ERP management systems.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required
Evaluation of qualified pre-selected candidates may include additional complementary assessment exercises, which may be followed by competency-based interviews.
Download, fill and sign the P11 - Personal History Form http://www.pnud.cl/vacantes/p11_en.doc
The system will be prompted to upload a file on the next page after "submit" application.
UPLOAD P11 FORM. DO NOT UPLOAD YOUR PERSONAL CV.
UNDP will not process applications without a properly uploaded P11 form.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.