TASK COORDINATOR ON WASTE MANAGEMENT
|Application Deadline :||14-Sep-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||one year, extendable|
UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. No telephone inquires will be entertained. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please complete and attach the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11) to your on-line application. It can be downloaded from UNDP Personal History Form
UNDP/EU launched a new environmental project “Support to the development of a comprehensive framework for international environmental cooperation in the Republic of Belarus”. The overall objective is to introduce effective sustainable development patterns in Belarus, full account being taken of environmental issues and public participation in environmental decision-making processes at national and local levels.
- To enable harmonization of environmental legislation with the EU body of environmental law and best practices, namely in waste management, biodiversity conservation, water management and ecological certification of products.
- To support dialogue between state environmental and communal authorities, industry, NGOs and other stakeholders for procedural development and agreement in the field of waste management.
- To demonstrate principal elements of full cycle of municipal solid waste (MSW) management in two selected sites
- To provide capacity-building for the local counterparts of two MSW management pilot projects, as appropriate to ensure their successful implementation.
- To support biodiversity conservation in the Yelnya protected area – a preserve of republican level Yelnya - by means of capacity building of protected area management, and its sustainable use (development of ecological tourism).
- To ensure maximum dissemination and replication potential in biodiversity conservation by inclusion of the interested NGOs and the concerned population in design and implementation processes of the pilot projects.
- To ensure adequate awareness of environmental issues, both theoretical and practical, among Belarusian environmental NGOs, the general population, scholars / students and relevant governmental bodies in the fields of MSW management and biodiversity conservation / ecotourism development.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Objective of the assignment:
The objective of the assignment is to ensure effective implementation and monitoring of corresponding tasks under the waste management component.
Work Performed/or responsibilities:
The incumbent will be based in Minsk. The Task Coordinator in the area of waste management provides assistance to the Project Manager for the successful implementation of project activities. He/she works under supervision of and in coordination with the Project Manager. The Task Coordinator reports to the Project Manager. He/she supervises works being implemented by consultants and staff hired under relevant project activities. The Task Coordinator in the area of waste management is expected to:
Overall relevant component management:
- Assume primary responsibility for the daily waste management component - both organizational and substantive matters, budgeting, planning and general monitoring of the component implementation to ensure the results are in accordance with the Project Document and the rules and procedures established in the UNDP Programming Manual;
- Ensure organization and implementation of information campaigns related to the municipal solid waste management projects in pilot towns Mosty and Kobrin;
- Support the Project Manager in planning and implementing the waste management component’s activities;
Component administrative and financial management; support to the Project Manager:
- Maintain regular contacts with the UNDP Country Office, the National Project Director and other coordinators from the Ministry of Environment on the component implementation issues within their respective competence;
- Liaise with relevant ministries, national institutes and other relevant institutions in order to involve their staff in the relevant project activities as necessary and gather and disseminate information relevant to the project tasks, which he/she is responsible for;
- Ensure adequate information flow, discussions and feedback among the various stakeholders of the relevant project activities;
- Coordinate relevant project activities with other project activities and relevant technical assistance programs in Belarus;
- In consultation with UNDP and the Ministry of Environment draft work plans, ensure their implementation, draft work plan revisions, if required;
- Prepare and provide briefing and background materials to the Project Manager, UNDP, Ministry of Environment, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Draft and agree with the Project Manager, UNDP, Ministry of Environment Terms of Reference for national consultants and subcontractors;
- Monitor the expenditures, commitments and balance of funds under the relevant project activities’ budget lines;
- Organize and supervise workshops and trainings planned under the relevant project activities;
- Controls over proper delivery of goods procured under the waste management component;
- Coordinates transfer of assets procured under the waste management component to the project beneficiaries in accordance with the UNDP rules and national regulations;
- Draft necessary waste management component progress and financial reports, as required by the relevant UNDP, EC and national procedures;
- Supervise respective Thematic Consultants;
- Guide the work of consultants and sub-contractors and oversee compliance with the agreed work plan, related to the waste management component;
- Assist the Project Manager in guiding and coordinating the work of national and international consultants and subcontractors under the project tasks, and oversee its compliance with relevant part of the agreed work plan;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills;
- Outstanding analytical, organizational, administrative and planning skills;
- Builds strong relationships with stakeholders, focuses on impacts and results for the stakeholder and responds positively to feedback;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills and ability to effectively work with international organizations, donors, NGOs and private sector;
- Ability for team work, social competence.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in environmental management, environmental regulations, sustainable development, business administration or similar;
- Solid knowledge of principles in the area of waste management;
- Relevant working experience in technical assistance projects is mandatory (at least 3 years);
- Experience of cooperation with international organisations and state institutions in Belarus;
- Experience in working with the civil society;
- Familiarity with the concepts and principles of sustainable development and capacity building;
- Knowledge of UNDP and/or EU rules and regulations is an asset;
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Excellent computer literacy;
- Working level of written and spoken English, proficiency in Russian.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.