PROGRAMME OFFICER – ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (LIBYAN NATIONALITY)
|Application Deadline :||27-Sep-12|
|Additional Category||Environment and Energy|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-A|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
Libya, a Net Contributor Country, has the highest Human Development Index in Africa. While Libya compares favourably on most of the MDG indicators, strategic efforts focused on the pillars of economic diversification, institutional and human capacity development would be required to fully achieve the MDGs. In the area of environment, issues linked to climate change and rapid industrial and economic growth, capacity development of key national environmental institutions are key areas where the UNDP Country Programme seeks to support the government.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director (DCD)and in coordination with the Country team, the Programme Officer is responsible for management of UNDP Environment and Sustainable Development Porgramme. The Programme Officer analyzes political, social and economic trends and its implications on the environment in Libya and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio. He/She provides policy advice on development concerns and on environment issues in particular.
The incumbent will collaborate with members of the Environment unit and other Programme Analysts/ programme support staff and coordinates with the projects’ personnel. The incumbent also works closely with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors/experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the Environment and Sustainable Development area focusing on quality assurance from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Monitoring and analysis of global, regional and national trends and priorities in the Environment and Sustainable Development Sector.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the Environment and Sustainable Development areas.
- Formulate capacity development initiatives and propose most appropriate execution modalities.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Contribute to the design and formulation of CO programme within the Environment and Sustainable Development areas, translating national priorities into local interventions in line with UNDP related corporate policies and guidance.
- Coordination of programme implementation with the national executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Ensure the systemic implementation process of projects including the proper initiation of a project, presentation and approval through Porject Advosry Committee ( PAC), entering project into Atlas finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
- Perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Evaluation of the programme impact. Monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustments in portfolio.
Ensures provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on country needs ,strategic goals of UNDP, as well as donors’ requirements.
- Analysis and research of information on partners and donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- In collaboration with the DCD and the Environment Unit members, explore external funding opportunities (incl. GEF and other environment related trust funds) and present proposals to potential donors/ national counterparts.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within the Environment and Sustainable Development areas. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
|Corporate Competencies: |
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Environment and Sustainable Development Sciences, or related fields.
- 5 years of relevant post-graduate professional work experience, namely in project and porgramme management.
- Experience in coordination of donor funded environment projects
- Proven professional work experience in the field of environment and Sustainable Development ;
- Thorough understanding of the natural resource\environment policies and governance systems;
- Prior experience with UN, though not a must, will be an advantage
- Proficiency in English and Arabic Languages
- Proficiency in standard computer software (Word-processing, Excel, PowerPoint, internet)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.