PROGRAMME MANAGER STRENGTHENING EGA CAPACITY (OPEN FOR LIBYAN NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||21-Oct-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-5|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One year renewable|
The project will assist the Government of Libya in tackling environmental issues through developing the capacity of the Environment General Authority (EGA) at the technical and management levels. The project will enhance the capacity of the Government by developing EGA’s internal capacity for environmental analysis and testing. The project will strengthen the EGA capacity in collecting, analysing and adoption of a process of monitoring through the effective use of advanced laboratories. Furthermore, EGA’s capacity in using a comprehensive GIS system will be enhanced; this will be done within an effective system of information management that includes generation, documentation, processing, dissemination and use of knowledge within the EGA.
As a UN agency, UNDP has a unique relationship with the Government of Libya which is built on trust, legitimacy and neutrality. This enables UNDP to enter into meaningful dialogue with government counterparts on critical and sensitive subjects such as environmental management and planning. UNDP is also well placed to assist the capacity development and strengthening of the Government Organizations, bring international experiences to benefit the staff and draw on international best practices.
In Libya, UNDP often assumes an important co-ordination and facilitation role, acting as a liaison between project partners, officials and donors. To create space for diverse development partners to engage in a constructive dialogue and to enhance collaboration amongst all actors is central to UNDP’s role.
UNDP’s experience and expertise within environment and energy field is an important consideration. The way in which environment is viewed as underpinning good governance for poverty reduction requires not only that UNDP work closely with national government counterparts but that it also builds strong relationships with local governments and civil society who have access to the poor and other marginalized groups.
Recognizing its role in ensuring that Libya meets its international obligations, the EGA is now involved in proving strategic input on key strategies and legislations that affect and impact environment and health in Libya.
The project will also contribute to developing the technical capacity of the EGA for professional performance and achieve linkages and harmonization with national development plans. The project will also focus on building the national capacity in managing and monitoring the implementation of the global environmental conventions and treaties, with special focus on climate change.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions and Key Results Expected:
Project Management – Technical and administrative:
- Provide overall management and planning for the implementation of the project outcomes, outputs and activities according to the project document and annual work plan;
- Develop and submit a detailed work program for the execution of the project and the delivery of outputs;
- Identify and follow up on the appointments of national experts/consultants, in conjunction with UNDP, to be hired for the implementation of specific project components or training of the project, develop TOR and agreements, and follow-up on performance;
- Provide management oversight to daily operational and administrative aspects of project (procurement, recruitment, staff supervision);
- Supervise all staff assignments, consulting agreements and procurements;
- Participate in conferences, workshops, meetings to provide input in the strategic planning and implementation of the project;
- Establish coordination mechanisms and maintain continuous liaison with UNDP-CO and the EGA;
- Liaises with the relevant ministries, national and international research institutes, NGOs, and other relevant institutions in order to involve their staff in project activities, and to gather and disseminate information relevant to the project;
- Ensure preparation and timely delivery and submission to UNDP of narrative and financial reporting (quarterly, progress and annual reports); taking into account the norms and standards for project monitoring and reporting are properly met;
- Document project activities, processes and results;
- Provide financial oversight and ensure financial accountability for the Project (monitor and manage the allocation of available budget to project activities, undertake all necessary financial arrangements, processes, requests for authorizations, payments);
- Ensure that the project activities are delivered on time according to the work-plan and assure quality control;
- Ensure, in coordination with the UNDP, that the project acts as the Secretariat for the project Board (calling for meetings, preparing and consulting on agenda, steering discussions, follow-up on decisions, prepare minutes of meeting, keep members informed on the progress, etc.)
Project Outreach (Education, Awareness, Networking):
- Prepare and perform awareness campaign and presentations to target audiences (decision makers, universities, general public …);
- Establish continuous liaison with media providing updates on the project;
- Participate in, and contribute to, the regional and international activities and network
- Attend as appropriate national, regional and international events to enhance information sharing and dissemination and lessons learned;
- Document and disseminate lessons learned and best practices;
Key Results Expected:
- Efficient coordination platforms with stakeholders and partners established.
- Efficient knowledge of the procedures and cost-effective coordination established.
- A communication system is established and effectively implemented.
- Proper documentation of all project committee meetings.
- Annual Work Plans ready on time.
- Data generated in a consistent formats.
- Capacity development plans for EGA established and implemented.
- Knowledge management plan prepared and implemented.
- At least 3 technical advisory services provided each year (GIS, Laboratories and Climate Change thematic areas).
- Annual budgets and budget revisions prepared on timely basis.
- Financial reports provided to UNDP on timely basis.
- All reporting and evaluation products specified in project document are prepared on timely basis.
- Percentage of Steering Committee decisions implemented is at least 75% each quarter.
- A sustainable platform for discussions with the EGA is established.
- Internal review mechanisms established.
- Quality response to demand by government documented.
- Capacity assessment plans developed.
- Capacity development plans prepared and operational.
- Roster of experts identified.
- ToRs for staff and consultants prepared.
- The needed three training activities conducted.
- Detailed work plan prepared.
- Adherence to the principles of results based management
- All recruitment documents prepared on timely basis.
- Adequate quality and achievement of all tasks stipulated in TORs of staff and consultants.
- Targets for professional development of project staff specified and achieved.
- All project financial oversight functions are performed in high quality and on timely basis including updating of information in ATLAS
- Progress and financial reports prepared on timely basis.
- Improve suggested indicators of the basin.
Impact of Results:
- EGA’s human capacity to effectively run a comprehensive GIS system in a sustainable manner identified and capacity development programme undertaken.
- EGA’s human capacities for the use of modern technologies (laboratories) in the field of analysis and testing built.
- EGA’s capacity to monitor and evaluate the implementation of international environmental conventions and agreements with special focus on Climate Change developed.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Demonstrates a good understanding of UNDP environment management approach and specifically in its thematic area of capacity development;
- Demonstrates openness and ability to understand environment issues and institutional challenges in Libya;
Advisory and Communication Skills
- Promotes knowledge management and sharing and learning culture within concerned Libyan Institutions;
- Actively works towards institutionalizing knowledge and expertise with the local counterparts.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to communicate creative ideas to multi-constituencies with different backgrounds in areas of UNDP’s substantive support in institutional, organizational and individual capacity strengthening;
- Ability to lead policy advice, strategic planning and results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of projects;
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement;
- Ability to formulate, analyze and manage training programmes;
- Ability to facilitate training programmes for a varied constituency;
- Ability to use communication technology, and general administration.
Leadership and Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- An advanced university degree (MSc) in any appropriate discipline related to Environmental Management, Environmental. Engineering, Ecology or any other related field.
- A minimum of ten years national experience in project development and management; related to environmental management, environmental planning or any other related field.
- Proven knowledge of the environmental management and/or engineering sector in the country; overview knowledge of the region is an added asset.
- Previous success in resource mobilization.
- Proven ability to work with a variety of people including government officials, international and national NGOs, local stakeholders, experts and consultants.
- Strong leadership, managerial and team-building skills; committed to enhancing and bringing additional value to the work of the team as a whole.
- Proven experience in facilitating and chairing meetings and/or workshops.
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- A proven ability to manage budgets.
- Good organizational and planning skills and a proven ability to adhere to deadlines.
- A proven ability to provide financial and progress reports in accordance with reporting schedules.
- Fluency in verbal and written English and Arabic.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills in English and Arabic.
- Report writing in English with fluency is absolutely necessary.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.