WOMEN, PEACE AND SECURITY SPECIALIST
|Application Deadline :||08-Oct-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women Afghanistan are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners.
UN Women’s Women, Peace & Security (WP&S) programme aims to build the capacity of and strengthen opportunities for Afghan women to mobilize as political actors of change as a means of demanding accountability by state and non-state actors on the implementation of gender equality commitments, including provisions of women’s full and meaningful participation in peace and reconciliation processes at the community, sub-national and national levels. The programme operates within the framework of UN SCR 1325, CEDAW, the National Action Plan for the Women of Afghanistan (NAPWA) and the Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS). Under the overall supervision of the UN Women Deputy Country Director in consultation with the Country Director and reporting directly to the national cluster manager, the Women, Peace & Security Specialist serves as a technical advisor to the national cluster manager, for all aspects of programming in Women, Peace & Security, including providing strategic direction, partnership building, resource mobilization, and policy setting.
The post serves as a key advisor to the Country Director and the Deputy Country Director on policy and programming pertaining to UN Women Afghanistan Country Office’s (CO) mandate on WP&S and on matters of organizational integrity with the aim of ensuring:
- Compliance with UN Women policies and regulations
- Effective systems to support programme delivery and growth
- Accountability to organizational values and principles; and (iv) and enabling workplace environment in which staff potential is maximized.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Direction
- Resource Mobilization
- Peace and Governance Policy Development
- Program Design and delivery
- Capacity building
- Partnership and networking
- The WP&S Specialist will advise and support implementation of policy and practices to ensure that Afghanistan CO can effectively meet programme obligations and client expectations; and to facilitate a workplace environment of mutual accountability, recognition, and respect.
- The WP&S Specialist will set priorities and work on the strategic direction of CO in the field of Peace and Security in close cooperation with the cluster Manager, identifying opportunities for productive interventions in order for CO to meet its mandate.
- The WP&S Specialist will, in consultation and coordination with the senior management, proactively seek and respond to opportunities for resource mobilization for the Women, Peace & Security programme, ensuring quality and timely reporting to donors.
Peace and Governance Policy Development
- The WP&S Specialist advises senior management on issues concerning women, peace, and security and their implications for achieving the government’s and UN Women’s commitments.
- The Specialist participates in various national and international policy dialogues on the inclusion of women in peace processes and their specific perspectives and needs in post conflict recovery, reconstruction, and public policy.
Programme Design and Delivery:
- The WP&S Specialist provides strategic direction on issues related to peace and security as it impacts the development and empowerment of women.
- He/she takes the lead in providing substantive technical inputs into programme development, through vision, conceptualization and design, and the annual planning process.
- He/she participates in creating an organizational culture of accountability, responsibility, capacity building and quality of services through leadership, encouraging a team culture of learning, creativity and accountability
- The WP&S Specialist provides technical support in the day to day running of the WP&S programme.
- The WP&S Specialist will contribute effectively to building the technical and managerial capacity of the staff in the implementation and scaling up of programme activities.
Partnership and Networking
- The WP&S Specialist serves as one of UN Women’s key advocates in the field of women, peace and security, articulating its messages through practical policy solutions and linking women’s grass roots advocacy work to the national policy level.
- She/he will contribute to developing strategic partnerships and strengthening linkages with NGOs, donors, UN agencies, government institutions, private sector, civil society and community grass roots organizations for the implementation of CO’s Annual Work Plan.
- He/she will support UN Women’s contribution to the UN’s strategic planning processes in relation to women, peace and security and will foster knowledge networks in this field.
Impact of Results:
The WP&S Specialist will contribute to the development and implementation of UN Women Afghanistan’s strategy on women, peace and security to strengthen women’s role and participation in the peace and reconciliation process. The Specialist will support strategic and targeted advocacy interventions in public policy making. The Specialist will participate in building a team which can lead cutting edge initiatives and interventions to ensure women’s secure and meaningful participation in the peace and reconciliation process of the country
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver a variety of tasks on time
- Exercise sound judgment/analysis
- Ability to develop creative solutions
- Ability to provide constructive coaching and feedback for others
- Ability to liaise with a myriad of stakeholders and partners, including government, civil society, international organizations and grassroots organizations;
- Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact, and courtesy in relation to gender equality and women’s rights, development principles, implementing partners, and national and international personnel of varied nationalities and backgrounds.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree or equivalent in international relations, public policy, and/or post-conflict peace processes.
- Minimum 7 years relevant professional work experience in programme design and management in the areas of women’s socio-economic and political development with proven technical expertise, with preferably two years at managerial level.
- Technical experience with gender analysis community-based and participatory approaches.
- Sound knowledge of international standards on human rights, women’s rights and related instruments.
- Experience in the area of advocacy and policy as it impacts women’s socio-economic development, ideally in a post conflict setting.
- An understanding of the social, cultural, and political context of Afghanistan and its relation to gender is preferable.
- In-depth knowledge of program design, management and implementation
- Knowledge of UN Women business, operations and programming cycle is preferred
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Written and spoken skills in Dari or Pashto will be an advantage
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.