UN WOMEN: COMMUNICATIONS ANALYST
|Application Deadline :||08-Oct-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-2|
|Languages Required :||
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Nordic countries have a steadfast relationship with the UN, and the Nordic countries have historically been strong advocates for Gender Equality both within their own countries and as part of their development cooperation policy. All five countries played an important role in the establishment of UN Women, provided funds for the transition process and remain key supporters, with four of the five countries being among UN women top 12 donors.
The Nordic countries provide significant financial contributions to development cooperation both multilaterally and bilaterally and are among the top donors in terms of official development aid.
Recognizing the importance of the Nordic Countries in development assistance, a Liaison Office will open in Copenhagen in 2013. A UN Women presence in Copenhagen provides a strategic entry point and an opportunity to liaise with Nordic parliamentarians and key decision makers, the UN Women National Committees in Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, with the private sector, the media and civil society. It is also an opportunity to work closely with the UN Women liaison office in Brussels and with all other UN agencies based in Copenhagen.
The strategic focus is on resource mobilization and partnership development in the area of policy advice and political advocacy with the Nordic countries on issues pertaining to UN Women’s mandate to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment and rights.
The Communication Analyst, reporting to the Director of the Nordic Liaison Office, implements UN Women resource mobilization strategy focused on sustaining and expanding partnerships with the Nordic countries.
The work requires knowledge of strategic results-oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation, as well as experience in communication, resource mobilization for international development programmes, involving dialogue with donors and strategic partners. Further the work requires experience with administrative tasks including procurement, budgeting and office management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to communication and advocacy
- Support to resource mobilization and donor relations
- Support to administrative and logistical services, ensuring the effective and efficient functioning of the Liaison Office
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Description of Functions:
Support to Communication and advocacy
- Support the development high quality materials, in line with priorities of the Nordic countries, to keep partners, as well as the general public, well-informed of UN Women programmes, initiatives, "success stories" and results.
- Support external relations and public outreach: establish and maintain relationships with Nordic Governments, parliamentarians, media, NGOs, networks and think tanks as well as with pan-Nordic cooperation fora.
- Design and develop systems for improved coordination and information sharing with UN Women staff on fundraising entry points and contacts.
- Produce content and maintain the UN Women Nordic Liaison Office Website as well as provide content to the UN Women intranet in collaboration with HQ.
Support to Resource mobilization and donor relations.
- Responsible for analyzing and assessing Nordic financial policies, funding trends, and budgetary planning cycles. Contribute towards generating, maintaining and updating cutting-edge and time-sensitive government donor intelligence to underpin and inform targeted, timely and effective outreach.
- Assist in the development of resource mobilization and outreach messaging and products to support and strengthen the investment case for UN Women and gender equality.
Support to administrative and logistical services, ensuring the effective and efficient functioning of the Liaison Office
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN and UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Responsible for contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, and taking minutes.
- Responsible for the compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
- Providing support to maintenance of common premises and common services.
- Arranging travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Providing administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Managing office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Following up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Organizing shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions.
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Researching statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
As a member of the team defining strategies to meet UN Women's objectives, the results expected from the position of Communication Analyst are critical to:
- The quality of results and management efficiency of the Strategic Partnerships Division;
- The quality of support from UN Women Nordic Liaison Office to regional offices in mobilizing resources.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Organizational Awareness:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Development and Innovation:
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Work in teams:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Has substantive and demonstrated professional experience and record of accomplishment in the area of gender equality and women's human rights
- Has knowledge of UN Women and the UN system
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Has a successful track record in developing strong partnerships with donors, networking and mobilizing resources for development assistance programmes
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Knowledge Management: Demonstrates ability to use knowledge management strategies to promote effective decision-making, and a coherent approach to policy making, and intra/inter-organizational collaboration, applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UN Women.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback; Displays a high level of respect, diplomacy and tact when dealing with government officials, donors and other stakeholders; Excellent interpersonal skills, able to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment
- Managing Complexity: Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; Outstanding coordination skills, with ability to manage multiple activities concurrently, works under pressure, and to tight deadlines
- Communication Skills: Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to convey complex concepts to different stakeholders in a clear and concise style
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a development-related area of study, communication or international relations.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in partnership development, communication and administration;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of ATLAS.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN working languages is an asset;
- Knowledge of Nordic languages is an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.