PROGRAMME ANALYST (ENVIRONMENT) (ONLY FOR NEPALESE NATIONALS)
|Application Deadline :||10-Oct-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-A|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year, renewable|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Country Director, the Programme Analyst (Environment) analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within a portfolio.
The Programme Analyst (Environment) assists the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, provide supports to identify new strategic programming areas in her/his programme, while ensuring consistency with the Government’s plan of action and strategies, the UN Development Assistance Framework/ the Country Programme Document priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities in the context of environment, natural resource management and sustainable development.
The Programme Analyst (Environment) works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP Regional Centers, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
The Programme Analyst (Environment) provides guidance and contributes to the assessment of the programme support staff and takes responsibility for mainstreaming gender and social inclusion within the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the CO programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support conducting thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation/trends in the country and provide inputs to key corporate programme management tools (Common Country Assessment, UN Development Assistance Framework, Country Programme Document, Country Programme Action Plan, Annual Work Plans and AWP and other documents) and in particular formulate outputs, targets and indicators in the energy, natural resource management, livelihood and governance areas
- Assist to identify strategic areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned aimed at providing livelihood support, reducing poverty and contributing to MDGs.
- Contribute to CO business processes mapping and implementation.
- Follow global conventions, Multilateral Environment Agreements (MEAs), conferences and events related with biodiversity and natural Resource Management and track on emerging opportunities for Nepal.
Participates in effective management of the CO programme within the environment area specialization assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Support design and formulation of some parts of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval (if authorized by SM), participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Application of conceptual models in support of programme design
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions and take project assurance roles.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including donor reporting.
- Project work plans (annual and quarterly) are finalized on time and project delivery targets are met as per the plan in a cost effective and efficient way.
- Active participation in audit of the programme and timely follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported to the ACD-P.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
- Timely cost-recovery for the services provided by the CO to the programme in close collaboration with Country Office Finance team.
- Active collaboration with the Project Implementation Support Unit (PISU) to ensure timely and quality delivery of development support services.
- Active identification and promotion of programmatic collaboration between the Country Office’s programme thematic focus areas.
- Gender and social inclusion are mainstreamed in the programme.
Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assists on Identification and development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, global and regional facilities and funds, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society, academia in the assigned thematic areas, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Update on and engage with natural resources and environment related initiatives undertaken by other partners, and the government and participate in key discussion.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
- An updated compilation of critical and relevant technical and policy material in the programmatic area related to environment and natural resources management.
- Development of knowledge in the progamme area related to environment and natural resource management.
- Follow up Multinational Environment Agreements (MEAs) climate change negotiations; identify strategic area of engagement for UNDP and suggest ACD-P for actions required by UNDP.
- Assist to identify capacity gap in mainstreaming landscape approach of conservation, ecosystem based adaptation and risk management approaches to bring financial sustainability of Nepal’s conservation efforts.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice. Active collaboration with UNDP/UN policy networks, advisors, centers and development of specialized technical networks.
- Best practice documentation in the area of environment and natural resource management.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations): Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Client Orientation: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in environmental science, natural Resources Management, Forestry or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of proven successful experience at the national or international level in providing advisory services in the particular thematic focus area.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in design, management, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, establishing partnerships and knowledge documentation.
- Experience in participatory approaches of natural resource management and conservation planning.
- Familiarity with GEF programming and landscape conservation will be a major advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali language.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.