UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The UN Women Representative (Ethiopia) will report to the Director, Regional Office (Kenya) who provides general direction and guidance.
The UN Women Representative is responsible for translating UN Women's Strategic Plan (SP), in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programs and projects; and developing effective partnerships with Government counterparts, UN system agencies and organizations, CSOs, and with bilateral donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships, support for UN reform, and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women's empowerment. Within the UN Country Team the UN Women Representative will lead and coordinate UN collective efforts to for greater gender equality, in the context of high-level representation among other UN entities. In addition, the UN Women Representative will act as UN Women’s liaison to the African Union and ECA in Addis Ababa. Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director and UN Women headquarters she/he, will enhance cooperation between the institutions, and influence policies at regional level. UN Women’s strategic partnership with these institutions will bring UN Women’s value added technical expertise, advocacy and capacity building from a gender and women’s human rights perspective.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
Strategic Program Development and Planning
- Strategic country program development and planning
- Country program management and oversight
- UN inter-agency coordination
- Liaison Office to African Union and ECA
- Representation and advocacy
- Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization
- Knowledge management
- Assess national social development trends and identify emerging issues of relevance to the mandate of UN Women to identify opportunities for development planning to advance UN Women goals and objectives in the country.
- In close consultation/collaboration with national development stakeholders and partners, identify strategic program opportunities, approaches and modalities to strengthen UN Women country presence and relevance.
- Lead the formulation, planning and preparation of the Country SP based on UN Women's SP and regional and national priorities, in collaboration/consultation with government, civil society, UN and stakeholders and Director, Regional Office and Director, Programme Division.
- Manage and ensure the completion of high quality, results-based and rights based country programs and projects. Oversee the appraisal and approval of UN Women programs in line with corporate guidelines and consistency with corporate policies and strategies.
Country Program management and Oversight:
- Establish the Country Office (CO) annual work plans in collaboration and discussion with the team and set objectives, performance measurements, standards and expected results. Ensure regular program monitoring and evaluate progress for timely action and intervention to achieve results.
- Set performance plans and evaluation standards. Regularly conduct performance assessments, provide feedback and guidance to ensure optimum performance and accountability according to UN Women standards of integrity, ethics and accountability framework.
- Oversee, monitor and ensure quality control in the implementation of high quality, results-based and rights-based for country programs and projects in line with corporate policies, guidelines and strategies.
- Establish CO security strategy, plan and measures that are in full compliance with UN security policies, procedures and requirements, to ensure the protection and well-being of staff and their dependents as well as to minimize risks in program planning and operations.
- Lead and manage the country budget preparation and submission processes to ensure budget proposals are correctly presented and submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitor the utilization of allocated funds to ensure transparency and compliance with UN .
- Women financial policies and accountability framework. Decide on the optimum and appropriate allocation and management of CO resources.
- Lead and manage the preparation of UN Women mandated country reports and submit timely reports ensuring relevancy, quality and appropriateness of content and presentation.
- Contribute to regular assessments of the regional, and country strategic plans and implementation plans and identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to underpin consistently improved programming and future SP development.
- Plan and manage monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects. Evaluate results and take appropriate action.
Liaison Office to African Union and ECA:
UN Inter-Agency Coordination:
- Participate actively as a member of the UN Country Team (UNCT) to ensure that gender equality and women's empowerment issues are fully integrated into UN programming processes such as Common Country Assessment (CCA)/ UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and Country Programs.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the UNCT in supporting enhanced response to national partners in advancing gender equality and women's empowerment and UN Reform.
- Support the coordination and promotion of accountability within the UN Resident Coordinator System to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment and UN Reform.
- Advise the UNCT on the implementation of key policy commitments to gender and women's rights.
- Partner with UN system and agencies to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and joint ideas to influence agenda and priority setting.
- Actively seek out participation of UN Women in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective network and to keep abreast of ongoing debate and thinking on development, facilitate joint programming and promote UN Women competencies to advance gender equality and women's human rights.
Representation and advocacy:
- Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director and UN Women Headquarters, strategically position UN Women within the relevant organs of the African Union and ECA to achieve its strategic goals.
- Liaise with the African Union and the ECA to support the Regional Director in his/her leadership and coordination role vis a vis these two important intergovernmental organizations. Serve as the focal point and the manager for all matters relating to cooperation between UNWomen, AU and ECA.
- Manage the development of and/or enhancement of appropriate partnership programmes and areas of collaboration between UN Women, AU, and ECA in close collaboration with Regional Director and UN Women Headquarters.
- Propose strategies and policies to support AU institutions and organs such as NEPAD, the African Parliament, and Peer review Mechanism.
- In consultation with Regional Director promote better knowledge of AU’s mandate and activities among UN Women’s Country Offices and foster increased sharing of information, and experience between UN Women and AU in areas of mutual interest
- Collaborate with ECA in the identification, formulation and implementation of programme of cooperation in areas of joint undertaking and mutual interest
- In liaison with Regional Office promote continuous and enlarged exchange of information, between ECA and UN Women’s Country Offices as well as other Units in Headquarters.
- Support and backstop regional programmes/projects based in Addis Ababa and executed by or in association with the AU and the ECA.
- Represent UN Women in intergovernmental forums and other key meetings and events, as designated/appropriate to speak on policy issues, participate in policy dialogue, discuss policy initiatives, report on progress achieved and/or present policy papers/ideas to influence setting of agenda and/or advocate UN Women competencies and mandate.
- Represent UN Women in the UNCT to contribute to the mainstreaming of UN Women’s policies in joint programming and initiatives, under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator.
- Participate in regional, country and other critical meetings and events to evaluate the impact and efficacy of UN Women policies and programs and provide input in strategic discussions and provide technical advice on policies and programs.
- Advocate on behalf of UN Women to help raise awareness and stimulate action to advance gender equality and women's rights.
- Carry out ongoing advocacy to ensure that UN support towards realization of the national plans and priorities are done in a gender responsive manner, and within agreed international frameworks that promote and protect gender equality.
Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization:
- Maintain active relationship and partnership with the Government, NGOs, UN system and agency partners, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, regional commissions, institutes, academia, media, and private sector on women's issues to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and/or share ideas and to influence agenda and priority setting.
- Conceptualize, design and implement country resource mobilization strategies.
- Plan and oversee the implementation public information and fund raising events.
- Introduce innovation and best practices to enhance program and operational performance.
- Collaborate with UN Women units and other internal and external development partners to identify and/or share best program and management practices.
- Lead and manage the process of developing, capturing, institutionalizing and disseminating lessons learned to build the capacity of clients and stakeholders and contribute to UN Women knowledge management efforts.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of global, regional and national knowledge networks and practices.
- Produce knowledge products to meet UN Women needs and standards of quality
Impact of Results:The successful performance of the UN Women Representative of his/her key functions directly result in effective and strategic development, implementation and management of high quality country programs and projects and achievement of quality results which in turn directly impact on the credibility and image of UN Women as an effective and efficient partner and as the leading knowledge-based technical and advocacy organization for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
|Core Competencies and Guiding Principles:|
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Proven expertise in writing cogent and convincing documents.
- Strong communications and public speaking skills. Proven analytical and problem solving skills. Teamwork. Ability to build, inspire and manage teams.
- Strong management, planning, goal-setting and prioritization skills. Effectiveness in establishing and fostering good relations with government counterparts, UN agencies, donors, and NGO partners. Effectiveness in strengthening accountability and results-based management in supporting organizational priorities, policy and decision-making processes.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents
- Organizational Awareness: Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen
- Development and Innovation: Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation
- Work in teams: Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communication and Information Sharing: Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk.
- Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development experience.
- Proven ability to lead and manage human, financial and programme resources.
- Strong negotiation, advocacy and interpersonal skills
- Proven expertise in writing cogent and convincing documents
- Strong communications and public speaking skills
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Teamwork. Ability to build, inspire and manage teams
- Strong management, planning, goal-setting and prioritization skills
- Effectiveness in establishing and fostering good relations with government counterparts, UN agencies, donors, and NGO partners.
- Effectiveness in strengthening accountability and results-based management in supporting organizational priorities, policy and decision-making processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent in development related disciplines, economics or public policy or other social science fields.
- Minimum of 15 years of extensive development experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in development cooperation, some of which in gender and women’s issues programming, at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs or UN Mission.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of an additional UN official language will be an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.