UN WOMEN: PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||05-Oct-12|
|Type of Contract :||TA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||364 days|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||364 days|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Strategic Partnership Division (SPD) is responsible for proactively driving the strategic positioning of UN Women so that the size, sources and predictability of its resources help the organization achieve its strategic goals. A service center to UN Women HQ Divisions and Field Offices, SPD is organized into three functional clusters: Resource Mobilization, Civil Society, Communications and Advocacy. Given the scope and interrelationships of SPD’s functional responsibilities, the work of SPD is highly synergistic, involving constant and direct interaction and information-sharing among team members, to provide high quality advice, services and support to UN Women.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Private Sector Relations and in collaboration with Division colleagues and the UN Women Directorate, the Partnerships Development Specialist will provide support to the overall effort to build and strengthen the collaborative efforts and partnerships with the private sector, including foundations. The Partnerships Development Specialist will support the implementation of UN Women's partnership and resource mobilization strategies as primary focal point for key donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support Strategic Planning of UN Women Global Foundation Partnerships
- Manage UN Women’s Foundation Partnerships
- Guide the Outreach to Foundation Partnerships and Engagement
Description of Functions:
Support Strategic Planning of UN Women Global Private Sector and Foundation Partnerships
- Support the development and implementation of UN Women Foundations Partnership Strategy in alignment with UN Women’s mission and the Private Sector Resource Mobilization and Partnership Strategy;
- Develop and implement foundation intelligence strategy (partners, needs and priorities, perception of UN Women by current and potential partners, and projection of UN Women’s added value and potential role);
- Develop and conduct analysis of partners, their priorities and characterization of their relationships/partnerships;
- Advice UN Women in the strategic planning and development of specific foundations fund-raising strategies and approaches;
Manage UN Women’s Foundation Partnerships
- Develop and manage UN Women’s relationships with leading global foundations and charitable entities;
- Promote and facilitate UN Women in fund-raising and foundation development initiatives for revenue growth;
- Create opportunities to cultivate new foundation partners, strengthen existing partnership relations, maximize partnership impact through partnership events and stakeholder engagement platforms;
- Identify new foundation prospects in alignment with UN Women strategy/needs for possible UN Women engagement and partnerships;
Advise and Guide Outreach for Foundations Partnerships and Engagement
- Work in close collaboration with UN Women Programme, Policy Bureaus and Trust Funds to identify and position UN Women’s core and non-core programmes for foundation support and partnership – providing expertise and guidance to engage and secure maximum foundation commitments;
- Work in close collaboration with other members of the Resource Mobilization Team to ensure a comprehensive and strategic approach that facilitates large-scale, collaborative multi-stakeholder support from foundations, corporations, governments and non-governmental agencies for major funding initiatives;
- Advice and guide regional and sub-regional offices with regard to foundation engagement strategies and implementation, including negotiating agreements with donor foundations;
- Guide and facilitate National Committees engagement with foundations for sustainable opportunities in line with UN Women’s priorities.
- Development of Foundation tool-kit (presentation)
- Creation of Foundation activity database
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism:Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Organizational Awareness:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation: Work in teams:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to provide strategic direction and operational management of fund raising/foundation development initiatives, resulting in significant revenue growth.
- Ability to conceptualize and actualize goals consistent with a strategic,long-termfocus for foundation development.
- Good negotiating and people skills.
- Ability to focus on impact and results for client.
- Proven networking skills, and ability to mobilize support on behalf of UN Women.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive,constructive attitude.
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with client and external actors.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, public administration, international relations, communications, women’s studies, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in working in the field of fundraising and development with significant experience in working with leading global foundations and gender equality issues.
- Extensive experience, including major gifts and foundation relations in diverse organizational settings;
- Superior understanding of major private and corporate foundation landscape, operations and culture(s), particularly in the areas of international development and human rights
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with Inter-governmental processes is preferable
- Fluency in English (written and oral)
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.